Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 6th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker
Gencon `08 Classic Heroscape Tourney thread

Although Gomolka started an excellent general thread here ( http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=18694 ) about Gencon armies, I wanted to talk more specifically about the Classic Draft compition because I`m a bit surprised to find that this is the event I am most excited about.

First, I think this is a great idea. It wasn`t until I started looking at just the RoTV units that I remembered exactly how good and balanced the game was, right out of the box. You`ve got your melee powerhouse that can avoid almost all the ranged guys (Drake) along with 2 or 3 units that counter him (DW9K, Airborn Elite, for example); you`ve got the extreme range elf who can pick you apart from afar but is fragile up close; you`ve got the DW9K, one of the units that can actually hit melee powerhouse guy, but he has that notorious glass jaw, not to mention all the other units besides...man, what a great collection!

Anyway, since this is a draft tournement, it is pretty difficult to choose what you want your army to look like (though we could talk about the ideal army set up too) I thought we might be better off starting with the following questions:

1. Is it a forgone conclusion that the player who drafts first will draft Raelin?

2. If this isn`t the case, who do you believe will be the #1 draft pick?

3. Should that character be picked, who do you counter draft?

4. Once that has happened, how do you aim the rest of your draft strategy?

I, for one, think that she probably will be the top pick by most players. That being the case, I would immediatly pick up Drake, reasoning that I`d need the higher attack to get past her aura, or the Krav Maga, just so the other player can`t take them, especially since Raelin will help them more than any other ranged unit...and I`d probably lean towards Drake, since he can`t be targeted by the Krav anyway, and once he is close the defense bonus won`t let them avoid damage.

Now, with Drake (110) as the cornerstone, I`d probably draft in the following order, if they were still available: Krav Mag (210), NGS (300), Agent Karr (400), and the Tarn Viking (450) to get a good mix of range, melee, and survivability.

So, what would your draft plans be?

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Messenger has disabled reputation
Re: Gencon `08 Classic Heroscape Tourney thread

1.Raelin
2.Krav
3.Airborne Elite
4.Marro Warriors
5.Drake

then it gets trickier...

Syvarris/Agent Carr (dominant range/heavy hitter)
Mimring/Ne-gok-sa (range+evasive/tank)
DW9K/Zettian guards (BigD+SpecAtt/BigD+range)
Izumi Samurai (counterattack when/if engaged)
Finn/Thorgrim (okay def, good when dead)
Grimnak (Chomp good, attack bad)
Tarn Vikings (slow)

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker

Okeydokey, fair enough. But supposing you loose the first pick and the other person takes Raelin (as they probably will)--how does that change your draft strategy?

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
And go Flock yourself.
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!

I agree Fezzik, that Raelin would usually be the first drafted. If that were the case I think I'd have to go KMA. If my opponent got KMA first, then I'd definitely go Drake. Once my opponent got the KMA I might go with Chompy. (Tough decision.) Multiple attacks per turn is just so important from there on out. I'd then go with Syvarris (one of my all time favorites) followed by AE, Marro Warriors and so on. I know that makes me a D-bag for going after so much range, but hey it's a tournament.

Raelin, KMA, and/or Grimnak would most likely be high on my target priority list once the game begins.
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

If I had the first pick, I might take the KMA first. Then, my opponent almost MUST take Raelin, which at least lets me have 2 picks I know I can get that aren't her. I'd probably take Drake next so that my opponent can't get him against my Krav, then either the AE or Marro Warriors.

I'm not really big on Raelin in this, unless she's paired with the Krav. They're the only unit that I see having a huge impact with her aura.

Also, if I have Drake, I'm probably taking a hard look at DW9K, since Drake and Carr seem to really be the only ones with an attack big enough to take him down, or maybe the AE (I'm all over him if I have Drake, AE and enough points). I guess a couple armies I'd be after are:

Krav - 100
Drake - 110
Marro Warriors - 50
Syvarris - 100
Ne-Gok-Sa - 90

Krav - 100
Drake - 110
AE - 110
Finn - 80
Marros / Tarn - 50

The Dream Team is:

Krav - 100
Raelin - 80
Drake - 110
AE - 110
Marro Warriors - 50

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Kaemon n' Raelin Dude is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Actually I was thinking of fielding a Minions of Utgar army.

x2 Minions
Taelord
G-Oni

However I thought this army would suffer badly from Zelrig so I modified it:

x2 Minions
Taelord
Raelin
Marcu

This is my first tourney. Will this army be effective?

The day I will stop loving Heroscape... The same day pickles will sing and sharks will fly.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM

damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon n' Raelin Dude View Post
Actually I was thinking of fielding a Minions of Utgar army.

x2 Minions
Taelord
G-Oni

However I thought this army would suffer badly from Zelrig so I modified it:

x2 Minions
Taelord
Raelin
Marcu

This is my first tourney. Will this army be effective?
You can't use either of these in this tourney. This is a Master set Draft tourney.

You are either posting in the wrong place or didn't read the introduction post.

damja is a Venoc Viper...
in THE SPARKLY CAVE
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I wish I could participate in this event, but I also wanted to do Capture Raelin.

To me the biggest thing you want to avoid is having your opponent end up with Raelin and the Krav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzikthedoor View Post
1. Is it a forgone conclusion that the player who drafts first will draft Raelin?
I don't think so. I agree with killercactus.
Quote:
2. If this isn`t the case, who do you believe will be the #1 draft pick?
Krav
Quote:
3. Should that character be picked, who do you counter draft?
Drake
Quote:
4. Once that has happened, how do you aim the rest of your draft strategy?
I agree with Messenger as far as the top picks. If you are drafting and those units are still on the board then, picking anyone of them would be the way to go.

Keep in mind that it will be standard draft rules, so the player not drafting first gets two card selections. This is pretty huge. If a player takes Raelin first, the second player can take both Krav and Drake. This is the reason I think the Krav should be taken first. You don't want to let your opponent end up with the best squad in the game and the best counter to it; then you are left filling gaps with AE and Marro warriors.

The last thing you want to do when picking first is to not take either the Krav or Raelin. Your opponent picking second would get two selections and anyone knowing his scape would take Raelin and Krav in that situation.

I see the first drafting round going like this in most cases:

Player 1: Krav
Player 2: Raelin, Drake

Player 1: Raelin,
Player 2: Krav, Drake

As player one, I would not want to be in a situation where I was now having to draft to counter Krav and Drake. This is why I would take Krav first, everytime.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, what a thought provoking thread. I for one won't be participating in this event but, its fun to speculate.

I think I'd rather draft second. Getting two picks to my oppenents one is great, and ,frankly, there is no one unit or character that I really want or need. There are alot of choices to make, I think Carr/Syvarris is a good combo to build around. Raelin/samurai combo, if done right is awesome. The one name I'm surprised has not been mentioned, Ne-gok-sa. He has been a long standing fav of mine, and a staple in many of my armies up until recently. While he may not be great in todays competitive enviroment, in this type of setting he's worth every point. 6 defense dice, not many other units in the game can match that. (Deathwalkers aside). NKS's best feature, imho, Mindshackle. Yes you need a 20, however, if you pull it off, it can change the game. Not only that, but since every figure from ROTV is unique, it works on anybody. So, I think Ne-gok-sa would be my #1 draft choice.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Rych--
You say you agree with Messenger's top five, which includes the Airborne Elite. Since this is a timed match that one would need to win 4 games (I think) to place, what is your opinion on the risk of The Drop? These guys can be strong, but I've had some games--maybe a full 20%, where these guys didn't drop in the first 6 rounds; by then it might be all over but the crying. Thoughts? Also, refresh a brother's memory, does the player who picked first get to draft 2 cards in his second round, or just one?

Clen--You make a good point with NGS regarding his Defense, and I think that will be his main selling point moreso than his mindshackle. I don't know that anybody will pick him first, though; like the guys say, the Krav/Rae combo is to just to strong to be ignored. Still, if you pick second and get two cards, why not split with him and someone else, right?

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
And go Flock yourself.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Keep in mind that it will be standard draft rules, so the player not drafting first gets two card selections.
That's a great point that I had overlooked. (I don't play "draft" games very often.)
I agree completely with R˙chean.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Rych--
You say you agree with Messenger's top five, which includes the Airborne Elite. Since this is a timed match that one would need to win 4 games (I think) to place, what is your opinion on the risk of The Drop? These guys can be strong, but I've had some games--maybe a full 20%, where these guys didn't drop in the first 6 rounds; by then it might be all over but the crying. Thoughts? Also, refresh a brother's memory, does the player who picked first get to draft 2 cards in his second round, or just one?
Per rule, after the second player takes his 2 cards, it is 1,1,1,1 until points are filled.

AE are so powerful in this limited number of units, it would be hard to just ignore them completely. It is a concern and a risk, but it is a risk that I could see taking, just maybe not in every game.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion