Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: NEW!!! HS2010'S Map Thread! Mitonsoul's Dungeon added 8/

Updated Version of Mitonsoul's Dungeon

Mitonsoul's Dungeon V.3
Requires: 1 BftU, 1 VW

This one I think is my least favorite but I has its bonuses.

- Widens side of glyph, doesn't get clogged as easily.
- Outcrops block the rock height from seeing the glyph.
- Height from lava comes down a level so it's more easily accessible.
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Updated Version of Mitonsoul's Dungeon

Mitonsoul's Dungeon V.3

This one I think is my least favorite but I has its bonuses.

- Widens side of glyph, doesn't get clogged as easily.
- Outcrops block the rock height from seeing the glyph.
- Height from lava comes down a level so it's more easily accessible.
I like it, but I'm afraid the lava strips to the south don't have much incentive to them. Also, I don't really like the long line of outcrops with height behind them, as this encourages camping. Other than that, looks good :thumbs up:.
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

My idea, was Melee to the south and range to the North. But like I said, I think this is my least favorite of the three. My favorite being 2.

EDIT: I have another version, but I'm going to wait until this gets more feed to post it.

It just switched the shadow with the 1 hex out crops so it's (From left to right):

Outcrop, Shadow, 3-Hex Outcrop, Shadow, Outcrop
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

I think the biggest issue I have with the map is that there are no significant decisions to be made. Because it's so flat and the height has no real disadvantage, figures are going to clump around the middle. A player never needs to think about the relative valuations of different objectives. There's no particular draw to the lava on either side, so I really don't see those areas getting much in the way of play. Everything that matters is within a three or four hex radius.

I think this is a situation where you're handicapping yourself by choosing an extremely restrictive terrain combination. A good map needs to present players with choices, and I'm just not sure that you have enough available tiles to do that in a meaningful way. Adding another BftU or even a Marvel set would open up some more options for you.
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Just played a game on V.4. Not released but here's a picture:

Armies:

180 Q9
260 Raelin (RotV)
500 Stingers x4
500pts/15hex

vs.

185 Nilfy
290 Sir Gilbert
500 KoW x3
500pts/15hex

For short...the KoW grabbed the Defense Glyph and never looked back.

For long...The real killer for the Stingers team was losing Raelin. It was the beginning of Round 4 that Jandar's Greatest Traitor (Raelin) was sliced down by The Sword Of Jandar (Sir G). In the same round, Gilbert would fall, but the knights had already had enough time to move out (all but 2-3 guys I believe were out of the SZ), and Nilfy would grab height on the three hex near the Stingers SZ. At that point all went down for the Stingers/Q9. Nilfy was a real pain to deal with for them. He probably did more damage than the Knights/Sir G/Q9/Stingers did combined. At the end, it came down to an unwounded Nilfy, and 2 KoW left.

Why was Nilfy not wounded by the end of the game? It's not because the Stingers/Q9 didn't have shots, it just because one, Nilfy would wipe out all the stingers he could using Ice Shard Breath SA, two, Q9 was wrapped up trying to take out Knights that had engaged him, three, the Stingers were until late Round 4 focusing on Gilbert, but by that time the movement had been done for the Knights, and four, the Stingers never successfully rolled for Drain, rolled a 4- once, and when they did get to attack, nothing fell through.

Why didn't I try it out with Rats/Raelin/Q9? If your going to play Rats/Raelin/Q9 at a tourney, I don't expect to win against you.
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
I think the biggest issue I have with the map is that there are no significant decisions to be made. Because it's so flat and the height has no real disadvantage, figures are going to clump around the middle. A player never needs to think about the relative valuations of different objectives. There's no particular draw to the lava on either side, so I really don't see those areas getting much in the way of play. Everything that matters is within a three or four hex radius.

I think this is a situation where you're handicapping yourself by choosing an extremely restrictive terrain combination. A good map needs to present players with choices, and I'm just not sure that you have enough available tiles to do that in a meaningful way. Adding another BftU or even a Marvel set would open up some more options for you.
Thanks, m_w! I feel that while yes, it is a restrictive terrain combo, I feel if I add another BftU, and try to build something similar, it becomes either too wide or too long, and then Knights will hate this map. Same if I add a Marvel set. And talk about LoS Blockers...does BoV allow the Marvel Warehouse to be used? Or even used without the top part?
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
It's good to keep knowing you can't make melee figures happy no matter what you do.

No seriously, thanks. Definitely give feedback if you do get a game in.

Are you saying The Heated Lagoon is somewhat good. I myself never did play a game on it. I built it, but never got a game in on it, so I don't know much about it really.
I'm definitely saying it's a decent map. I'm also pointing out that on a flat, open map with like 4 LoS blockers range will have the advantage almost no matter what you do.

Solution: Add more height. This means:

1. Range must get all the way to the top if they want to sucessfully pod, or in a position where no melee height can reach them.

2. Melee can have more opportunities to get defense and attack bonuses from height

3. The game is played with more excitement and strategy, generally.

Solution 2: Check ranged figures with LoS blockers. Basically, test out this map without any LoS blockers and then find the area that most ranged shots pass through. Stick an outcropping or two there. Repeat.

Both of these solutions are tricky with so little terrain. However, just moving height so that it touches more lower blocks is a viable solution. Also, the lava discourages podding. Maybe skip lv. 3 altogether, or have 1-2 tiles on level 3. Then place the 4 7-hex tiles around the map. Idk.

This post was a more clarified version of my last. Also, it's good news that the knights could engage Q9, but keep in mind an army not boosted by Gilbert, like Warriors of Ashra or something. They may struggle a bit more. I definitely don't have time to play this coming week but I'll shoot for next
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM

Mitonsoul's Dungeon V.4

OK, so I changed V.4 a little bit, so what? Anyways, this version adds a lot more height, and hopefully, tactical thinking, to the game. Don't know if I like the SZ's but it's the best I can do to keep it the most simple.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Re: NEW!!! HS2010'S Map Thread! The Hot Way or The Highway--

I've played on this map 3-4 times with multiple different armies - melee vs. melee, range vs. range, etc. and I must say, it's probably my favorite lava map, so here it is:

The Hotway or the Highway
Requires: 1 BftU, 2 VW, 1 FotA

Last edited by Sheep; September 22nd, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM

It has a lot more choices than Mitonsoul's Dungeon will ever have.

The lava lessens camping, but of what I played, it didn't really severely affect the outcome. The shadow is placed perfectly, IMO, allowing melee units to get to the top undercover. The battlements adds a lot to the make-up of the map. The road, while yes it does get clogged up obviously very easily, and only a few big figures can fit, but I don't think that's a huge deal.
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I've played on this map 3-4 times with multiple different armies - melee vs. melee, range vs. range, etc. and I must say, it's probably my favorite lava map, so here it is:

I like it, but I think it a bit too open. Try using uncapped walls to block LOS, especially near the start zone. Also, I'm not too sure about the shadow. Maybe moving one of the shadows into the SZ would help to. Not that it's too big of a problem, but I don't think battlements can be placed on a zero-height tile.

Hope this helps!
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
Quote:

I like it, but 1) I think it a bit too open. 2) Try using uncapped walls to block LOS, especially near the start zone. Also, 3) I'm not too sure about the shadow. 4) Maybe moving one of the shadows into the SZ would help to. 5) Not that it's too big of a problem, but I don't think battlements can be placed on a zero-height tile.

Hope this helps!
Here were my three games:

1) Range vs. Range (Team 1 wins)
Army 1: Braxas, Nakita Agents, Gorillanators x3 (600)
Army 2: Kato Katsuro, Kaemon Awa, Kozuke Samurai, Ashigarui Harquebus x3 (600)
2) Range vs. Melee (Team 1 wins)
Army 1: Cyprien Esenwien, Sonya Esenwien, Zombies of Morindan x5 (495)
Army 2: Haduc (C3V), Venoc Warlord, Aubrien Archers x4 (500)
3) Melee vs. Melee (Team 2 wins)
Army 1: Alastair MacDirk, Sir Hawthorne, MacDirk Warriors x4 (520)
Army 2: Ornak, Brunak, Grimnak, Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider, Marcu Esenwien, Blade Gruts x3 (520)

1) As you can tell from the Zombies beating Aubriens, it's not too open. Otherwise, I'd expect a lot of Frenzies to wipe out a lot of Zombies, because they can hit anywhere.

2) I thought, and thought against, that. It would add more obstacles to move around, therefore delaying movement upwards.

3) I'm sure! The Gorrilanators destroyed the Garu because of it. And it adds a safety spot to land at the end of a round if you are fighting upwards.

4) I'd really hate to allow a member of the Krav, or Raelin, or Syvarris, to have a shadow right away.

5) That's just too bad isn't it.

Note: Now obviously non of the armies are really competitive, but that means they were all fairly even.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios