Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 26th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Troy Spiral has disabled reputation
Tested out Mole Hills and Marr Highway at the HS game night im trying to get started. I'm pretty much set on pushing BoV as the maps of choice.

Didn't really get any positive feedback this week. Marr Highway was "too long" and Mole Hills was "unfair". Regardless , I'll continue to push BoV maps as i assume you guys know better than I or other less skilled / knowledgeable players do.

I personally don't mind Marr's Length I'm used to games taking a bit longer.

Mole Hills i personally can't really comment on as my ability to "see the map" isnt all that great in terms of its ramifications for the outcome of a game.

The comment about Mole hills was from two fairly well know HSers who at least SEEM to know what they are talking about.

Just some feedback. Not saying i endorse this feedback.

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
That makes Alley in for review and Swamp thing out.
I may have missed something, but by my count Velenne's vote brings the count to 3 Yes/2 No on Swamp thing, with Eclipse's vote still pending. It only needs a simple majority (Sec 2.1) so wouldn't it be admitted for review if Eclipse votes Yes?
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
That makes Alley in for review and Swamp thing out.
I may have missed something, but by my count Velenne's vote brings the count to 3 Yes/2 No on Swamp thing, with Eclipse's vote still pending. It only needs a simple majority (Sec 2.1) so wouldn't it be admitted for review if Eclipse votes Yes?
Thanks Elstree! Woo are correct! My apologies to Browncoat.

Updated:

Updated 10/26/2007:

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Swamp Thing by Browncoat
YES = 3 (R˙chean, Revdyer, Riggler); NO = 2 (Elstree, Velenne); Pending = 1 (Elstree)

Maps currently being reviewed:

Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh by R˙chean
YES = 3 (Revdyer, Riggler, Velenne); NO = 0 ; Pending = 2 (Elstree, Eclipse)
*R˙chean removed from review process per being map creator*

Klomar's Training Ground - Location 7 by geosmores
YES = 2 (R˙chean, Revdyer); NO = 1 (Riggler); Pending = 3 (Eclipse, Elstree, Velenne)

Winter Crossing by Khanbob42
YES = 0 (); NO = 1(Velenne); Pending = 4(Revdyer, R˙chean, Elstree, Eclipse)
*Riggler is abstaining from the process.

Hot Heights by Jormi_Boced
YES = 0 (); NO = 0 (); Pending = 6(Riggler, Revdyer, R˙chean, Elstree, Velenne, Eclipse)

Annihilation Alley for Codeman
YES = 0 (); NO = 0 (); Pending = 6(Riggler, Revdyer, R˙chean, Elstree, Velenne, Eclipse)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Spiral
Tested out Mole Hills and Marr Highway at the HS game night im trying to get started. I'm pretty much set on pushing BoV as the maps of choice.

Didn't really get any positive feedback this week. Marr Highway was "too long" and Mole Hills was "unfair". Regardless , I'll continue to push BoV maps as i assume you guys know better than I or other less skilled / knowledgeable players do.

I personally don't mind Marr's Length I'm used to games taking a bit longer.

Mole Hills i personally can't really comment on as my ability to "see the map" isnt all that great in terms of its ramifications for the outcome of a game.

The comment about Mole hills was from two fairly well know HSers who at least SEEM to know what they are talking about.

Just some feedback. Not saying i endorse this feedback.
Mole Hills is not unfair. If it is, the players are doing something wrong, or the melee player is horrible. The Melee units have enough of a chance if you work well. The heights alone can provide cover.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree
I'm still going to vote decline for review on Annihilation Alley. Sorry, Supergeek, I know you really like this map and went through a lot of trouble to reformat it to meet the guidelines. However, my objections weren't really about the formatting and they still stand.
No skin off my back. I'm just glad that it still has the chance to be reviewed.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
I respectfully request to withdraw my submission of Swamp Thing for review.

A number of issues with the map have been brought to my attention, not only from members who have downloaded it, but from discussion with other map makers and via PM with the BoV judges. Perhaps I requested a review of this map in haste, and did not work all of the kinks out before submitting it.

I wish for the BoV to contain only the best of the best, and I do not feel that Swamp Thing, as it stands, is worthy of. I have been working hard to revise the map, addressing several issues, and will be resubmitting it just as soon as the download has been approved.
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Upload approved:
http://www.heroscapers.com/download/index.php?dlid=936
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM
The Orc Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee
Thanks bunjee!

I would now like to request the redesigned map, Swamp Thing v2.0 for review by the judges for admission into the BoV. This map retains the spirit and intent of Swamp Thing, but addresses some of the issues that arose when playing on it:

1) Needs more swamp! Swamp Thing v2.0 has almost triple the amount of visible swamp area. Now, instead of the "feel" of playing in a swamp, this map contains a huge area of swampy goodness to play on.

2) Odd shaped footprint. One thing I didn't consider when designing the original map was how it would fit on a tournament table. Swamp Thing v2.0 is roughly 30"x30" and would easily fit just about anywhere.

3) Heavily range favored. This reworked map addresses the biggest concern in a major way. The central area has largely been opened up. Cliffs, ruins and trees offer better concealment. A new road gives the opposing army a quick way to height advantage should your ranged units gain the high ground first. I have really tried to address issues with Q9 on this map by making it difficult for him to have LOS over the central area with height advantage.

4) Central area. The swamp area of this map now poses a bit of a puzzle. It is nearly impossible to cross this area of the map without running into a spot that will hold your army up. Holding the central glyph is now an easier task with more spaces surrounding it. Access to height advantage is readily available from the swamp at just about any angle.

On another note, when coming up with a footprint for this map, I wanted to create a generic template that I could use for future maps. The lowest level of this map, including the use of sand hexes for starting zones, allows for many different map configurations to be made using the same footprint.

Old October 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Browncoat, while I have not downloaded or constructed the revised Swamp Thing yet, I appreciate the seriousness and the effort you display. That doesn't mean I'll vote "yes" on anything, but I do want to congratulate you on the work you've put into this map submission. If it should be that you haven't yet played a competitive game or two on this revised map, I would heartily suggest that you do so. In the mean time, I'll soon d/l and build a version for my own game tables.

One footnote...doesn't two 10 trees and two 11 trees actually take two RttFFs? (On the former map it was two 11s and two 12s with the same issue.)
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
The Orc Master

Thank you, Rev. I do take this seriously, as I feel the maps we game on play a vital role in the game itself. A poorly designed map can make an otherwise great battle a poor experience. As for play testing this map...yes, it has been done several times. I titled this map v2.0 but in reality, it would be more like v2.91763B if I counted all the revisions during testing.

In addition, I was sure to check LOS issues, cliff heights, and movements with several different figures. Q9 spent a lot of time on this map by himself in an effort to minimize his effectiveness over certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
One footnote...doesn't two 10 trees and two 11 trees actually take two RttFFs? (On the former map it was two 11s and two 12s with the same issue.)
That is an error on my part. When I looked at my VS file, I have 2 RttFF sets included with my available materials. I didn't consider the heights of the trees that actually came with one set.
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
It was a footnote...I never considered the tree heights to be a real issue in this particular situation. And now I've got to rebuild your map tomorrow! <grin>
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Awesome effort, Browncoat! It is amazing to see someone make such an effort! I think it's a lot more balanced now. Tournament worthy? Probably. Best of the Best? We'll just have to see.
All in all, great job!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios