Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Oprime is surprisingly tart
Let 'em build.

I begrudgingly dismanteld my lovingly built castle map and neatly stacked my stuff in piles (in prep for the tourny).

My nine year old son came down to ask what I was doin'.

He then asked if he could build a map so we could play....so I let him.

Now the point.

I have let my son do this on a number of occasions and I haffta say these are some of the most fun maps I've played on.

I can spend hours creating the perfect waterfall or glacial expanse, but there is something special about the randomness of a childs mind.

It is fun, and yes, strategic to play on a field where all the terrain comes into play....just not how you would consider "normal".

My Question I guess is twofold.

Do you let your kids just "have at it"? and Do you enjoy the good chaotic fun maps?

I do.

Win,lose,or draw its magical seeing them light up when you play on thier map.

Old September 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Avenger has disabled reputation
seeing as how I don't have any children, I can't say much... Although I have had my little sister build a map, and it wa cool. Too bad she doesn't like to actually play the game...
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
One game night, I didn't have time to get a map together. So the group built the map while I organized the figures for drafting. It turned out to be a great map and even the young kids got to help out. The map had no rhyme or reason but heck, even real life terrain doesn't always mesh with how we "think" it should look.

Thanks for the interesting question.

Newb.
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:10 PM

-Zim- has disabled reputation
As I don't have children either I just express my surpressed inner child and build wacky maps.

Quite fun when you have ice and lava right next to each other.

Old September 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
I've played on one of nwojedi's maps. Does that count?

:P

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zim-
As I don't have children either I just express my surpressed inner child and build wacky maps.

Quite fun when you have ice and lava right next to each other.

im going to put a glacier in the middle of a molten lava pool!

i don;t have any kids, but i would gladly let a younger child build me a map......
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!
My boys love to build the maps. Like has been said, they can be a bit out there, but they are fun to play on.
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!
OPrime, I'd really like to see what your child has built. Any pictures?

I used to let the neighborhood brothers build maps for me. Yes, I totally agree. The younger ones can come up with some very interesting setups and they're never symmetrical - a habit I'm oh so trying to break from.

My son is now 6 1/2 and he has made some fun maps.
Here's one of his maps(2nd post down, last picture).
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Sparky has disabled reputation
I 'had' to buy a second MS because my 9-year-old got sick of the 12-year-old hogging everything, and they both wanted to build their own maps. I'll say it again: CCGs were good to us, but there was never THAT much drive to play them, but when you can actually spread a 'map' out, build it up and run little figures around on it? It's like crack, I tell you...

Mike
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM
something

noodles knows what's in an order marker noodles knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
OPrime, I'd really like to see what your child has built. Any pictures?

I used to let the neighborhood brothers build maps for me. Yes, I totally agree. The younger ones can come up with some very interesting setups and they're never symmetrical - a habit I'm oh so trying to break from.

My son is now 6 1/2 and he has made some fun maps.
Here's one of his maps(2nd post down, last picture).
Agreed. I'd love pics and I have been trying to break myself of symetrical maps myself. This is one of those rare moments where I will let people into the mind of Noodles. One of the secret reasons as to why I love heroscape is because when I was younger my grandfather had a model train set in his basement. It was awesome and huge. I knew that heroscape had the same potential if I ever had a son of my own. I'm certainly in a position to indulge in it so I do because I can see myself playing this game forever. Reading this thread makes me know I'm doing the right thing.

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Old September 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM

Oprime is surprisingly tart
funny, I acctually did take some pics while we were playing.

Heres an overhead one.

Old September 6th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oprime
funny, I acctually did take some pics while we were playing.

Heres an overhead one.

Wow! Your son has some real keen building skills!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion