Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwojedi
good idea. You know these could easily be printed on Felt sheets with a big silk screen.
What kind of distortion do you get with silk screen over 60"?
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Savage
I still dig the water mat best. The Valhalla islands with long bridges between beckon......
I agree with you. There is no substitute for real tiles, but I could sacrifice water tiles with a play mat--my reason being that water has a height of zero in the game. It's also the best way to make large bodies of water.

I do like Nwo's idea of the silk screen. Wonder what the cost of a 60" x 36" single- or 2-color mat would be? Two things come to mind; who can silk screen 60"? and felt doesn't hold up well against spills. Maybe I wrong, I'm not familiar with that process on material.

I'd love to see it, if anyone does it!
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Gearz4Gutz has disabled reputation
I would prefer vinyl over felt.

However, even if it's only available on paper, I can put a sheet of plexiglass over it.

I sure hope that this gets past the planning stage.

Surprising that Hasbro didn't come up with this themselves.

Even though Malechi's tweak looks fantastic, I'd still settle for unsparkly, 2D if it meant a significant savings in final cost.

Carl
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker
actually, it can be as big as you want. If you build the screen frame yourself. Tshirt ink is water washable and won't wear off. Just build a silkscreen frame, buy silkscreening and stretch and staple it to the frame. Then you can either cut out the pattern (the hard way) or photocopy the image on transparencies and use photo emulsion. Expose it to UV for about 15 min, and spray it off with the hose. And your set.

Canvas would also be a good textile to use. It's durable, easy to print on and nice and flat. I still think the water print cloth from walmart, would be the best, and just print the outline of hte hex's

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwojedi
good idea. You know these could easily be printed on Felt sheets with a big silk screen. Could use photo emulsion on a large screen. Expose it to UV. spray off the unhardened emulsion, and you could crank out about 100 or 200 of these with the same screen. Cost would be relativly cheap as well. If you wanted the shading and sparkly look, you would have to shoot two screen for each color, or use a halftoning in the sparkles. Most likely would have to be printed on white felt thou, unless you laid down a mat of white first.

Actually, they have this cloth at walmart that looks like water. You could just silkscreen a hex outline pattern over it. It looks like real water already, with reflective sparkles in it. I use it for pirates of the spanish main, but would look great for HS as well.
Sheesh - you two should get together and sell these! It's genius!

In the possibly infinitely long interrim, I wonder how much it would cost to get one printed out on poster board at Kinko's. Anyone have any idea?

-k
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Shield_Rhino has disabled reputation
Display Board/Paper Mats

As I said in the original forum, you have really pushed the heroscape play mat far beyond what I came up with. I also like how you emulated the linking notches in the hexes.

The play mat is definitely the way to go to have better games with out having to buy over 6 master sets to create play space. Biggest complaint I have in games are that if the terrain area is too small, someone is always n range on the first turn... and darn... that isn't fun if you want to get a strategy going.

These are my play mats. They are not as nice as I would have liked. I was fueled by overcoming my non artistic skills so as to not have to lay out a couple of hundred of bucks to get more space.

One of which is made up of hexes I made in Microsoft publisher and then colored for various terrain effects. The second I did by hand including painting each. Had I showed more forethought they would have butted together better. I wasn't planning on it getting larger. I should have realized it would grow.

As you can print up his sheets and glue them down you can make foam boards like this... just better as his art is better than mine.

Phil
Buffalo NY
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Harbinger of Aquilla

Thanks again for the compliments everyone. Feedback, especially positive, is always appreciated.

Shield_Rhino, I like your map, but you're right--when playing HeroScape ALWAYS expect to expand! I also agree with playing solely with tiles you can create obstacles by limiting where the hexes go, or more importantly, where they don't. Something you can't do with a full play mat.

I would like to get these printed. By the time I get the correct paper in stock, the timed demo on the large-format printer I'm using will have expired. I'll have to send out to get these printed myself.

Next I'm working on the road pattern.

I will also post some pictures of what the water game mat looks like with a game going on.
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:35 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
you should make offical maps with those. Travel Heroscape here i come
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM

maxo-texas has disabled reputation
Can put upside down tiles to show you can't go there? (paint the back of some tiles dark grey?)

Maxo-Texas
Everquest, DND
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:29 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
Roll up vinyl or felt seem the way to go. I think that I would buy a water one and a grass one....

Anyone with an entrepreneurial bent?

InfinityMax - this would be a great addition to your line....

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
did malechi just say bane!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar
SHH! Do not mention Those-we-do-not-speak-of!
It should be overlooked due to the fact that Malechi actually used it correctly and spelled everything in his post correctly.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxo-texas
Can put upside down tiles to show you can't go there? (paint the back of some tiles dark grey?)
Nope, they won't fit together with the right-side-up pieces.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles