Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old January 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM

zombiedude has disabled reputation
Why limit to Marvel or DC?

Taking a page from the heroclix game, I was thinking that Marvelscape shouldn't be limited to just marvel or DC characters. There isn't any reason we couldn't get some Dark Horse (Hellboy, Conan, etc), Image (Invincible, Spawn, Walking Dead, Savage Dragon,etc), some now defunct companies like Valiant (Solar, Magus Robot fighter, Turok, XO), Continuity (Armor, Silver Streak, Megalith, etc), and so on someone has to own the rights.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Why limit to Marvel or DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedude
Taking a page from the heroclix game, I was thinking that Marvelscape shouldn't be limited to just marvel or DC characters. There isn't any reason we couldn't get some Dark Horse (Hellboy, Conan, etc), Image (Invincible, Spawn, Walking Dead, Savage Dragon,etc), some now defunct companies like Valiant (Solar, Magus Robot fighter, Turok, XO), Continuity (Armor, Silver Streak, Megalith, etc), and so on someone has to own the rights.
Yup, and it's probably not Hasbro at the moment.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM

GQmonkee has disabled reputation
Hasbro just got the license for all of Marvel's toy products in the US. It was only inevitable that this set would soon come out. Expanding like Heroclix will take a while because of licensing issues, but it may already be in the pipeline.

Old January 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Mordantos has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQmonkee
Expanding like Heroclix will take a while because of licensing issues
But until then, we can make custom cards and , oh look, there are all those to scale Heroclix figures to use
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Starscream49 has disabled reputation
I for one would like to see expansions like attacktix and have some starwars and ransformers. Even through in some GiJoe since its all Hasbro.

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:44 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Why limit to Marvel or DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedude
...Image (Invincible, Spawn, Walking Dead, Savage Dragon,etc[/i].
WETWORKS!!! It would be perfect since wave 7 has some vampires on it & werewolves are already on other waves! OH YEAH!!!

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
I can guarantee that there will be no DC people in Marvelscape. Now they might come out with DCscape, but I assure you, there will be no superman in Marvelscape.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
One of the big differences between Heroclix and Heroscape, is that Heroclix waves do about 30-40 characters at a time, not including collector sets (and their waves come out just about as frequently as Heroscape). Heroscape only produces about 12 unique cards per set, with about 25 figures. I have a feeling with Marvel, we will not likely see more than 12-16 new characters per wave.

Remember, these are not blind purchases, and not that many kids are going to want the Justin Hammer gang (Blizard, Constrictor, and Boomerang), unless they are packaged with a cool character they recognize like The Rhino or better yet...Spider Man. So, Hasbro won't be pumping out the characters, because they have to be paced to spread out the popular characters. Even Heroclix is starting to create way too many duplicates of the same damn popular characters, and I for one won't support Heroscape making eight versions of Spider Man (Although I might go for the Black Suit). Heroclix relies on obscure characters to fill out the massive ranks of each set, so they really cater to comic books fans with all sorts of cool, obscure characters. Without blind purchase, it just doesn't work that good. If you ask 100 people in WalMart who Magnus Robot Fighter is, maybe 1-2 comic book fans would happen to be there. Nobody else would have a clue. If you showed those people a blister pack with a Magnus figure, with his....flamboyant red outfit and skirt....most people would probably rather buy their boy, a pack of good old viking warriors. Therefore, without high character recognition, Hasbro gains nothing by going through the pains of securing obscure licenses, from independant comics.

Hasbro's contract is with Marvel, and you probably won't even see a lot of obscure Marvel characters, much less obscure indy characters. With the next Hellboy movie in the works, Hellboy is quickly moving out of obscurity, but I wouldn't bet on a Heroscape set anytime soon. Marvel was just an easy thing for them.

Quote:
I for one would like to see expansions like attacktix and have some starwars and ransformers. Even through in some GiJoe since its all Hasbro.
GI Joe and Transformers would be some other "easy" things for Hasbro, because they own the rights to those lines. I am definitely in favor of GI Joe. I wouldn't mind transformers, but they would take up a lot of hexes....and transformers are supposed to transform.

Star Wars would be another "easy" thing for Hasbro, since they have a contract with Lucas. However, there is already a Star Wars mini game, and I don't know how likely it is for them to start another, although I would freaking KILL for some Star Wars 3D terrain.

As unlikely as it is, I would also kill for an official Conan figure. Maybe even for a knock-off. Yes. Yes, even for a knock off.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion