Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 600 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I basically view it as just an army of all Stingers, except that they have a special attack when they need it. I've seen Q9 and 6x Stingers kill pretty much everything at 540 points. For some reason, I've seen Stinger hordes blow right through rats and Raelin, even though I think to myself that Deathreavers should be good against them.
Certainly rats & Raelin should be good against most things. But when I think of the abilities of stingers, my inclination is that they struggle against armies that can simply outgun them. That basically means armies that can muster an attack of 3 four times per order marker. To pick the simplest example, I'd pick 4thx6 over Stingersx7 every time.

Now, Q9 covers that particular hole fairly well, such that I might pick your 600-point stinger&Q9 army over Jexik's 4th, Captain, Eldgrim army. I'd have to think about that.
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I'm sure this army is in this thread somewhere, but since it's on my table now for some map testing, I'll give it a little bump.

Taelord
Omnicrons x2
Minions x2

-insert signature here-
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

For a while, I loved this build. I still do, but not competitively. I've been thinking recently that Minions and Taelord, as awesome as they are together on paper, don't work that well in practice.

I say this because the Taelord, Minion, Sniper army gets only 3 attacks per order marker and only has 13 figs, 12 of which are squads. In the 600 point games, a lot of armies, such as 7x Stingers and Q9 army, are going to have mass amount of squads.

Because of this, some rat cover is needed and the defense from Raelin will help your limited number of ranged units. That's just my
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I'm sure this army is in this thread somewhere, but since it's on my table now for some map testing, I'll give it a little bump.

Taelord
Omnicrons x2
Minions x2
I played that army at the Saratoga Slugfest. KCU's comments describe my experience exactly---Taelord and Omnicrons were great while they lasted, but the Taelord/Minions side just didn't work out as well as I hoped. In hindsight, I'd have prefered:

Taelord: 180
Omnicrons x3: 300
Rats x3: 120

Total: 600pts, 22 hexes.

I'm trying to use rats less, so I might take them out for the Nakitas, or SotM Raelin, or Izumi and Zetacron, or...

Not having to play Bengi is another improvement I might have wished for.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
<snip> Said stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
<snip> Also said stuff...
LOL! I just got done doing a Battle Report in the Asymmetric thread describing the same thing.

For what it's worth, to stay on topic, the other 600pt army in the Battle Report was:

Braxas
Micros x3
Rats x2
Isamu

-insert signature here-
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I basically view it as just an army of all Stingers, except that they have a special attack when they need it. I've seen Q9 and 6x Stingers kill pretty much everything at 540 points. For some reason, I've seen Stinger hordes blow right through rats and Raelin, even though I think to myself that Deathreavers should be good against them.
Certainly rats & Raelin should be good against most things. But when I think of the abilities of stingers, my inclination is that they struggle against armies that can simply outgun them. That basically means armies that can muster an attack of 3 four times per order marker. To pick the simplest example, I'd pick 4thx6 over Stingersx7 every time.

Now, Q9 covers that particular hole fairly well, such that I might pick your 600-point stinger&Q9 army over Jexik's 4th, Captain, Eldgrim army. I'd have to think about that.
That's something I meant to mention and didn't - Q9 covers the Stinger weakness against Mass/10th (along with performing rat extermination duty). It fits my playstyle (just run forward and kill stuff) very well too.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

In the mindshackle tourney this year, s_p's 3x Deathreavers/ 4x Stingers, NGS (dropped 1 rat) beat Jacob j_p's 6x stingers + NGS. Pure stingers seems to falter against rats and other units... but this doesn't really refute your Q9 idea, and is still just one game.

I also think lonewolf beat Hendal in Day 2, with 4x Stingers, 2x Rats, Kaemon, Raelin; beating 7x Stingers, Raelin, and Marcu.

Neither of those were 600 point games, and who knows how much the dice, map, and player ability came into it, but I guess I just have a hard time believing that there's one best army.

Q9 covering up the Stingers' weakness against 4th Mass is an interesting point, much as Captain America helps fix the 4th Mass problems with Q9 and/or rats.

I think your point about your own playing style is a good one though. Stingers and Q9 might be the best for some, but not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

At 600 points -- Ornak!

100 Ornak
140 2 x Heavy Gruts
50 Nerak
50 Me-Burq-Sa

plus [Tornak, Mimring, Isamu] [DW 9000, Marcu, Tornak] [DW 9000, Grimnak]

David
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

At 600 points -- Ornak!

100 Ornak
140 2 x Heavy Gruts
50 Nerak
50 Me-Burq-Sa

plus [Tornak, Mimring, Isamu] [DW 9000, Marcu, Tornak] [DW 9000, Grimnak]

David
I know the idea is to use Ornak's ability, but I might still try to sneak in more Heavy Gruts.

Maybe:

Ornak 100
4x Heavy Gruts 380
Nerak 430
MBS 480
Grimnak 600 (or Tornak + Marcu) 23 and 24 hexes, respectively.

I might have to try one of those out. I love playing orc armies, and I'm always looking for an Ornak build that will actually work.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
In the mindshackle tourney this year, s_p's 3x Deathreavers/ 4x Stingers, NGS (dropped 1 rat) beat Jacob j_p's 6x stingers + NGS. Pure stingers seems to falter against rats and other units... but this doesn't really refute your Q9 idea, and is still just one game.

I also think lonewolf beat Hendal in Day 2, with 4x Stingers, 2x Rats, Kaemon, Raelin; beating 7x Stingers, Raelin, and Marcu.
Hendal beat me on Day 1 with that army, and I was running more rats than lonewolf was. But, then again 1) I'm not lonewolf and 2) Hendal's dice were on fire against me. He was also rolling Stinger Drain regularly and got it every time except maybe once when he rolled a 7 or something.

I also lost to fallensoldier's 6x Rats, Krug, Arrow Gruts, but I should've won that game. I lost due to my own idiocy and his 7 lava/leaving engagement rolls that were all shields.

I guess (mainly against Hendal) the Stingers raw firepower and numbers were just too much for the Deathreavers to handle. Of course, I forgot about the Stinger Draining until just now. That definitely helped...

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I'm always looking for an Ornak build that will actually work.
Sign me up for that too! One problem is that the best units for Ornak to activate are NOT the ones that work best with Gruts. How about:

DW9k 140
DW8k 130
Ornak 100
Raelin 80
Isamu 10
2xHeavy Gruts 140

It'd be quite a firebase and forces your opponent to decide whether to target Ornak, Raelin or a DW first.

~Aldin, explosively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
Hendal beat me on Day 1 with that army, and I was running more rats than lonewolf was. But, then again 1) I'm not lonewolf and 2) Hendal's dice were on fire against me. He was also rolling Stinger Drain regularly and got it every time except maybe once when he rolled a 7 or something.
Hendal in general is pretty beastly though. You say that you play aggressively, but that man gave me one of my worst losses of the con in the Unique Hero tournament. His Nilfheim went right for the throat and never let go. My only loss that was worse was against Lonewolf on a particularly bad army and map matchup in the 3rd round of the Jumpstart event. Come to think of it, both of those losses were on Little Ramparts- it's definitely not my favorite map now.

I'm not saying that more rats = better against tons of stingers, but that stingers + some rats > stingers + more stingers... I'm not even 100% sure of that, but it's how I tend to pick them.

Quote:

Last edited by Jexik; March 9th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion