Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Mage Wars is a great game, but that is no way a one hour commitment. As you say. I wish we played it as much as it deserves, but it's been gathering dust. For a long time.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
I am looking for a couple of games to get OrcElfArmyOne for Xmas. Looking for 2 player strategy games that take between 30 min. to an hour to play, with not too much set up time. We really like summoner wars and heroscape. One game that looks promising is Battle Cry. If anyone here has played that, I would be interested in your comments. Any other suggestions?
Definitely check out the Kickstarter for:
as well as if/when the Hemloch reprint add-on gets unlocked.

Also:
Carcassonne base game
Jaipur

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'll give you a suggestion that's pretty different: Diceland.

They're large cardstock 8-sided dice that represent a character that you toss onto the table (and knock around the other dice there). Each die has different powers it uses to attack the enemy dice with. There's a handful of different sets and I think you can get them super cheap at paizo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Mage Wars is a great game, but that is no way a one hour commitment. As you say. I wish we played it as much as it deserves, but it's been gathering dust. For a long time.
Mage Wars is a one hour set-up for us. Great game, but we barely ever get it to the table.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The Kickstarter that Jim linked is a no-brainer for people looking for lighter, smaller 2 player card games. For $17, or for $25 for the deluxe version (metal coins, better bitz), get a highly recommended, well regarded game delivered straight to your door. The KS has already funded, so it's just a pre-order system at this point.

Plus the game's designer is our own @justjohn , though heaven knows how long it's been since he looked at this forum.

= =
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:32 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Dragon Dice
Isn't that a game thats only played in Omaha?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:54 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Dragon Dice
Isn't that a game thats only played in Omaha?
So many haters...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:43 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Star Realms (space combat deckbuilding/direct conflict)
Speaking of which, we played some two-player Pairs and then took out Star Realms, which we hadn't played in a while. Normally we play sets of three games, but tonight we only played one because we were both pulling blue, with outposts too, and it went on for a bit. KS had the upper hand with a couple of allied yellow outposts beating on me every turn before I had much firepower. He had me all the way down to 8 life, while he was all the way up to 52.

Unfortunately for him, the red cards I'd been pulling were starting to pay off, and my deck was getting leaner and nasty. We went back & forth for a bit while he waited for his outposts to reappear, but he just couldn't quite finish me off. And then. . . he was at 40, I was at 15, and I pulled a combined Brain World / yellow / Blob Fighter / blue draw hand that had, by the time I was done laying everything out, every card in my deck but two face up & fighting. I squeezed every combat point I could out of those cards and dropped him 39 points, from 40 all the way down to 1, forced him to discard two cards, laid out all my outposts, and zipped my own health way back up.

He healed nothing the next round & laid out one outpost, which I could destroy with my own bases before even playing a card from my hand. It was . . .

(a) Devastating
(b) Thrilling
(c) Heartbreaking
(d) All of the above.

= =
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last night I got in a couple games:

Shadow of the Sun - A Small Box Games game set in the city of Hemloch where the days and nights are each years long. This game take place over the final 8 days of daylight, where different houses fight for influence over the 4 different districts in Hemloch. There are 4 different types of minions, with 10 copies of each in the deck, as well as 4 wild cards. Each day/round, players take turns using cards they've drawn to get influence markers in the different districts, as well as trying to usurp other players pieces (battle to swap pieces on a district), assassinate others' pieces and have large "struggles"/battle at the end of the day to add free influence to a district. Many different ways to use the cards in this game, as is typical in a John Clowdus game.

One of the guys in the group does game reviews and occasionally gets games sent to him for review. Level 99 Games sent him a copy of Argent: The Consortium, so we played it last night. It's a pretty awesome game where you are at a magic school and trying to win votes of chancellors or whatever. It's a worker placement game in how you obtain various things you need, but it has different colored workers that have different abilities of their own. You start out with 2 workers of your color based on the character you choose, but then you draft 3 more at the beginning of the game in order to get to use the different abilities. There are spell cards you can gain with different levels of spells you can cast to help yourself or hurt others, there are supporter cards that have various people to give you aid with their special powers and there are vault cards that can be treasures or spells (one time or ongoing) that can help you/hurt others. For a worker placement game, it is very thematic and has several paths to victory.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; November 4th, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Dead of Winter last night. A tragic loss in the search for the cure. So close, but we had a string of bites (my children refuse to be cautious ) and lost on morale. My son (first time being a betrayer) spiked the Crisis the turn before, so he brought us down, though we exiled him immediately (we were already on to him) and so he failed to achieve victory. (He was pretty happy, though, knowing he crushed our poor colony!)

Great game, even in heartbreaking loss.
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Dead of Winter last night. A tragic loss in the search for the cure. So close, but we had a string of bites (my children refuse to be cautious ) and lost on morale. My son (first time being a betrayer) spiked the Crisis the turn before, so he brought us down, though we exiled him immediately (we were already on to him) and so he failed to achieve victory. (He was pretty happy, though, knowing he crushed our poor colony!)

Great game, even in heartbreaking loss.
Oh how I wish we could get DoW to the table more. Love it.

Played Ticket to Ride Switzerland last night, with 3 players. this is my favorite map for 3 players with Europe a close second. I won by 1 point with the longest train providing the victory. CatScaper was distraught at her 1 point loss, especially since her train was only 2 shorter than mine. AuntNonScaper came in a distant 3rd even though she took 3 times as long for each of her turns. My dear sister takes winning very seriously, which is awesome. She is exhausted by the end like a prizefighter.
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:04 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We've played a bunch of games of Pandemic over the course of the past few days, and I must say it's a blast! Last night my roommate was convinced he had figured out the game and could win 75% with 6 epidemics. Needless to say we played two 4 player games and got destroyed.

After the beating we decided to play a game of Power Grid to give it another chance. @IAmBatman As soon as we broke out the game our neighbor said "This looks like Monopoly!"

@Dad_Scaper I think our problem is we keep playing at inopportune times. After 2 quick games of Pandemic, Power Grid seemed to drag on forever. It certainly didn't help to start at 10pm.

I got cornered early in the game with 5 cities. At least I could power them for free.

The money I accumulated while stuck helped propel me to victory!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games