Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old June 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Just_a_Bill's Jungle Ruins

RotV ruins + some different jungle plants that exactly match Ticalla Jungle + a few other smaller plants for variety + 4-5 different shades of green (dry-brushing, sponging, washing) + clear coat.

I'm thinking about making more sets to sell, and trying to figure out how to price them. Due to the carving of holes through the ruins, several layers of different greens, and multiple clear coats, this takes a surprising number of hours to finish, so I'm thinking something like $20-25 for a set of three ruins (2 large, 1 small). Even then I'm probably working for less than minimum wage. But does that seem reasonable?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; February 25th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
Re: Just_a_Bill's Jungle Ruins

I'd say it depends on how durable they are. will they last? will the plant stay on?
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Hey- Those look pretty cool. The ruins have always been something of an eyesore because they are just so "vanilla." This fixes it up right nicely. Now you can finally do the wellspring of Ankgor Wat.

I imagine they're pretty durable. The jungle trees are durable enough and these will have glue.

It's hard to price things like this but unfortunately the time invested doesn't translate directly to cashish. You might try fleEbay and see if you get bites. I'd sell them in twos since that's how the Master Set packaged them and how people are used to seeing them. Price them at the smallest amount you'd be willing to take and if it doesn't sell- it doesn't sell. I've kicked myself before for selling things for too little on Ebay.

I've also hit a gold mine where some guy was like, I like this but can you do 10 more?

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
I'd say it depends on how durable they are. will they last? will the plant stay on?
Should be just as durable as the TJ stuff, since they're assembled in the same way (only mine have a bit more more hot glue since I have a bigger contact footprint to work with than the TJ brush does. Also, since I carefully thread the brush through the holes I carve in the ruins, it's even less likely than the TJ stuff to get bent around and put stress on the glue point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
It's hard to price things like this but unfortunately the time invested doesn't translate directly to cashish. You might try fleEbay and see if you get bites.
Yep, those are my thoughts as well. Some things just won't sell at a price that makes it work the effort. I think most of us look at customs and go "why buy that? I could do it myself" even though we (at least I) usually don't get around to actually doing it because it's so much work.

Quote:
I'd sell them in twos since that's how the Master Set packaged them and how people are used to seeing them.
Problem is I'm short on two-hex ruins (destroyed some on various customs experiments). So if I don't group them in threes I kinda need to group them in ones.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

$20 definitely doesn't sound outrageous. If anything, it'd be a good place to start and see what kind of feedback you get. If they fly off the shelves, a few bucks inflation might not hurt, but if they're a slow mover/not moving at all then you'll know what to do.
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Looks Awesome!

See if you can make it in less time - maybe don't put so much layers of paint on the ruins.

I assume when playing, you use the jungle adjacenty defense bonus on the ruins too.
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Looks Awesome!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
See if you can make it in less time - maybe don't put so much layers of paint on the ruins.
If I have to reduce the quality, I'll probably lose interest in doing it in the first place. Anybody can just glue two things together and call it a day; my goal with every custom I build is to make it look like it could have come from Hasbro. The only reason to make something for selling, in my mind, is if I'm willing to put in the time to make it nicer or more detailed than the average bear could (or would want to) do himself.

Quote:
I assume when playing, you use the jungle adjacenty defense bonus on the ruins too.
We don't, actually, for a few reasons:
(1) Foliage climbing a wall isn't nearly as thick as free-standing brush. You couldn't conceptually press yourself into it to dodge or hide in the same way.
(2) It isn't as bendy or overlapping.
(3) The adjacency rules would get sloppy, trying to figure out exactly which hexes adjacent to the ruin would qualify, not to mention whether the bonus applies on one side or both.

So, for simplicity and reality, no bonus in my house. But others can play it however they like.

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

I'd play that using foliage-enhanced ruins makes me irresistible to the ladies.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like them. Not sure what someone would pay for them though, I'm pretty bad at gauging that kind of thing.
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
I'm thinking about making more sets to sell, and trying to figure out how to price them. Due to the carving of holes through the ruins, several layers of different greens, and multiple clear coats, this takes a surprising number of hours to finish, so I'm thinking something like $15 or 20 for a set of three ruins (2 large, 1 small). Even then I'm probably working for less than minimum wage. But does that seem reasonable?
It certainly seems reasonable to me. I think they look fantastic and I acknowledge the time and effort you've put into them. I'm not sure how many sets you will sell for that price but I wouldn't dispute the value for the money. In fact I've sent you a pm about possibly buying some.

Keep creating and have fun!

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Nice! I always am trying to make some decent customs to make SOTM look not as boring, and I lack TJ, so it's a little more difficult for me.

I would be willing to pay $20 for a set of three, seeing ruins aren't that cheap and its custom work. I'm just a poor college student saving up for vacation, Skyrim, and Diablo III, so I doubt I'd actually buy any.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Awsome ruin mods there! Nicely done.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles