Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Notices

Old January 14th, 2017, 06:36 PM

c3ringer is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: HACCS - Heroscape Army Creator and Card Searcher

Is there a way to delete an army I've created or that was imported from the old database? Everything else seems to be working great on my tablet and browser, just can't seem to find if there's a way to delete some of the junk armies i've created along the way. Thanks for all the work you've done on this though, its a great tool for playing scape.
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:57 PM

Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ringer View Post
Is there a way to delete an army I've created or that was imported from the old database? Everything else seems to be working great on my tablet and browser, just can't seem to find if there's a way to delete some of the junk armies i've created along the way. Thanks for all the work you've done on this though, its a great tool for playing scape.
Thanks for asking the question! I didn't realize until just now that I never mentioned how to delete armies.
When you have army rows in the left HCS pane, you can right click on them (or long tap on a tablet) to open up a menu. One of the options is "Delete army".
I admit it isn't that intuitive, I'll look for another place to put a button to delete an army.

I'm happy to hear the software is of use to you!

Search for any Heroscape cards and create armies.
Create, save and search your own custom cards.
Check out HACCS (Heroscape Army Creator and Card Searcher)!
Old January 15th, 2017, 02:12 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey Spuke! Another question about creating custom units in HACCS, specifically about synergy. There are some options that I don't see in the pull-down list for custom synergy, like size and special ability. How do I add these in?
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM

Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness Spuke Boy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Hey Spuke! Another question about creating custom units in HACCS, specifically about synergy. There are some options that I don't see in the pull-down list for custom synergy, like size and special ability. How do I add these in?
Hey IshMEL! It's nice to hear that someone is using the custom synergy options! I'm afraid that's probably one of the least documented parts of the program... How have you gotten along with it until now?

To your question:
It should all be there, special abilities are listed under "Special". They are further down in the drop-down list, though - did you scroll down in the list?

Old January 15th, 2017, 07:02 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuke Boy View Post
To your question:
It should all be there, special abilities are listed under "Special". They are further down in the drop-down list, though - did you scroll down in the list?
Me: <slaps forehead>
Old October 21st, 2017, 09:10 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

First of all, just wanted to say thank you again for this marvelous resource. New C3V units hit the front page the Wednesday before our annual NHSD tourney, and by Friday they were ready for use in HACCS. I can't ask for better service than that, and I'm so thrilled to have a product that keeps up with the times and keeps offering me new functionality to boot. @Spuke Boy , you sir (along with DanieLoche and his amazing Hall of Valhalla page) are my go-to web pages for Heroscape goodness in the modern era.

And, since you seem to be still working on the program, I thought I'd offer you some feedback. These are all just suggestions, of course, and not meant to be taken as criticisms of your fine (and free) product, for which we are all sincerely grateful.

So, even though I'm not (technically) the tournament organizer in our area, I do generally have to organize the biggest chunk of our attendees: myself, my two oldest children, and a core group of their friends typically comprise the majority of tourney entrants. Some of them can make their own armies, and some of them just come to me with rough ideas and I help them put together the final rosters. In our tourney format, we can bring one primary army and one backup army (you get to switch to your backup after X number of games if you feel your primary isn't performing well). So this year, for instance, I had to build or help build a whopping fourteen armies, and I built them all in HACCS. Some of the older kids also used it to build their rough drafts. So this seems like a great time to share our feedback about what might have made things easier.

First of all, remember that we all came from using Mythacle's Battleplan. Which was also a fantastic product, in its time, but it hasn't been updated in so long that it's starting to become nigh unusable. Still, a lot of the expectations of our crew were set by Jay and his interface, so take things with that grain of salt. And no one is suggesting that you should turn HACCS into a copy of Battleplan. But that doesn't mean there aren't some lessons that could be learned from it.

And the big takeaway from everyone, I would have to say, is that Battleplan is just better for browsing. There are certain things I could do in Battleplan that I think work better in HACCS. For instance, if I know I need 60 points to fill out my army, in Battleplan I would sort the units by points and just ignore anything higher than 60. In HACCS, I can actually go into the search and tell it points "<=60" and then I only see the relevant units. I like that better. However, for faction browsing, Battleplan is way more convenient. I mean, if I know I want to build a Marro army, sure: I can tell HACCS to show me only Marro units. But say I don't know yet what I want? In Battleplan I can sort by species (or class, or whatever) and see what all my options are. Not only that, but I can see how big each one is. I could see, for instance, that there are only 4 options for goblins, so maybe I want to steer clear of that, or at least I know I would have to supplement it with another faction. Battleplan also has a double-layered sort, so I could, say, sort by species / class and easily find all the elf wizards, Marro hivelords, and human champions.

Apart from this type of browsing, the only other feature that I personally miss from Battleplan is its understanding of uniqueness. So, for instance, if I'm bringing up all the primadons, in Battleplan once I click a hero (say, Zaeus) on the left side and it appears over on the right side (in my army), it also disappears from the left side. Because, you know: I can't have two Zaeus-es in my army at the same time. This is part of a bigger feature called "eliminate illegal army choices" or something like that. So, if I choose RotV Drake, SotV Drake also disappears. And, also, I can set my army size, and then any unit who costs too much to fit in my army would disappear too. I do think this feature should be optional, because some people want to violate the rules (or at least see all the options, even if they can't technically choose them), but it would certainly be nice to have that option.

Moving away from Battleplan comparisons, another thing I ran into that sort of weirded me out until I understood it was that the name of my army isn't its identifier. IOW, if I change the name and hit "save," that's a rename, not a "save as." Which is fine, once I understood it (although then trying to rename it back to the original really freaked out your underlying system somehow, and I ended up having to log out and back in a few times before I got it all straight). But I think that means there isn't a way to do a "save as," so if I want to make a new army that's just a little bit different from an existing army, I have to start from scratch, and that's a little discouraging.

Also, reusing the same pane for army results and unit results sometimes meant I had to redo a search instead of just being able to go back to the same resultset.

I also tried using HACCS on my phone a couple of time, but that was not successful at all. The panes just don't work in the narrower space. Again Battleplan may provide some guidance: the way it handles this is to only show one pane at a time, and you swipe back and forth between them.

Other than that, I do sometimes see some text overlap in various places. Sometimes that's in Firefox only (e.g. the sort arrows overlapping the ends of "Section" and "Change" in the middle pane), but sometimes it shows up in Chrome as well (e.g. the "HAC" in the right-hand pane is always on top of the end of "Search", and you have to make the pane really large before that stops happening).

But overall these are small points in a fantastic program, and I hope you don't think I'm being too critical. I really do love this resource and hope you find the time to keep updating it for many more years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 22nd, 2017, 03:41 AM

@Xotli , thank you so much for your detailed feedback! It's feedback like this that motivates me to work on the program again (which I haven't done in a really long time with one or two exceptions), and I really appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts on HACCS. And no worries, I don't think any of what you wrote is too critical.

About the points themselves:

Double-layered sort

I really like this idea! I'm not sure I ever noticed that feature in Battleplan, but I see how that can come in handy. I think that it would be rather difficult to implement with the current structure of how the tables are created in the background, so it will probably be a while until I get to this. The best way to replicate this feature right now would be to have the HCS display all units with the species and class columns being shown and sort by those columns. A secondary sort can be achieved by holding the shift key when clicking a column header. Obviously, this is not ideal, but it might be a solution for now.

Illegal army choices

I can't seem to find this option in Battleplan, though I like the idea very much. This should be a good deal easier to implement.

"Save as" for armies

Another feature that should be rather easy to implement, the tricky part will probably be to figure out where to put the additional button. Maybe a dropdown menu with different options would be good... I'll think about it.
I just tried recreating your problem with the army name not wanting to change back, but it worked fine for me. I assume it is some bug that occurs rarely, though I honestly have no clue about what the problem might be.

Same pane for army and unit results

This is the one feature that is implemented already: If you click the four-square-button next to the home icon, it will switch between the army and unit results. I also just realized that as soon as you click the home button, you can't go back to the results. I'll be taking care of that.

HACCS on phones

I admit that this would be really really cool, I just fear that this would take a very long time to complete properly. This would be a big project for after all the other features are completed.

Text overlapping

I know about this problem, though I admit I haven't given it a high priority as it doesn't prevent features from working (at least as far as I know). I'm taking note of it and I'll see what I can do.

Again, thank you so much for the valuable feedback. As the new university semester just started here in Germany, I'll be very busy the next couple of months, but I hope to squeeze in some time for one or the other implementation of your suggestions.

Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:40 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
And no worries, I don't think any of what you wrote is too critical.
Excellent.

Quote:
Illegal army choices

I can't seem to find this option in Battleplan, though I like the idea very much. This should be a good deal easier to implement.
I just poked around for it and, if you hit the "Options" button under "Catalog," you'll find the double-sort (called "Group by"; there are two drop-downs and the second one is just typically set to "None") and also this one, which is called "Filters." It has three options: "None" (meaning nothing disappears, even when it becomes invalid), "Gray if adding will invalidate," and "Hide if adding will invalidate." That last one is the one I usually use.

Quote:
"Save as" for armies

... I just tried recreating your problem with the army name not wanting to change back, but it worked fine for me. I assume it is some bug that occurs rarely, though I honestly have no clue about what the problem might be.
Yeah, it was weird. My recollection of the exact sequence was:
  1. Change the name (just by clicking on the existing name and adding a suffix).
  2. Hit the "save" button.
  3. Realize that instead of creating a new army, I've only renamed the existing one.
  4. Say "oh crap."
  5. Change the name back to its original value.
  6. Hit the "save" button again.
  7. The box saying "saving" pops up, but never goes away.
  8. After a while, just hit the the "sign out" button in the hopes that going out and back in would take care of the issue.
  9. Repeat a couple times until it finally worked itself out.

There might also have been some changing of units in the army and/or changing them back as well.

Quote:
Same pane for army and unit results

This is the one feature that is implemented already: If you click the four-square-button next to the home icon, it will switch between the army and unit results.
You know, I thought I tried that and it didn't work. But of course there are three of those buttons (and all of them next to "home" buttons), so perhaps I was just hitting the wrong one. But my recollection was, closing the current results just took me back to the original pane display (i.e. the "currently contains XXXX objects" layout) rather than back to the previous resultset. But I will give it another try later.

Quote:
HACCS on phones

I admit that this would be really really cool, I just fear that this would take a very long time to complete properly. This would be a big project for after all the other features are completed.
Yeah, I know that the answer involves "responsive design" and "breakpoints" and suchnot, but I honestly have no concept how much effort we're talking. I am a programmer, as it happens, and I do even work on websites, but I'm strictly a back-end guy. What you guys do with the UI is all black magic AFAIC.

Quote:
Text overlapping

I know about this problem, though I admit I haven't given it a high priority as it doesn't prevent features from working (at least as far as I know).
True, it's just it can be a little confusing at times. For instance, it was only when I was stretching that right-hand pane out to see if I could get the words not to overlap that I suddenly realized there was an "edit" icon in that bar. It had always been hidden behind the window icon before.

Quote:
I'm taking note of it and I'll see what I can do.Again, thank you so much for the valuable feedback. As the new university semester just started here in Germany, I'll be very busy the next couple of months, but I hope to squeeze in some time for one or the other implementation of your suggestions.
Whatever improvements you can make will be much appreciated. And, even if you can't find the time to make any at all, we still love the product.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; October 22nd, 2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I just poked around for it and, if you hit the "Options" button under "Catalog," you'll find the double-sort (called "Group by"; there are two drop-downs and the second one is just typically set to "None") and also this one, which is called "Filters." It has three options: "None" (meaning nothing disappears, even when it becomes invalid), "Gray if adding will invalidate," and "Hide if adding will invalidate." That last one is the one I usually use.
Ok, I found it now - somehow I had only noticed the "Gray if adding will invalidate" option, but not the hiding one. I wonder how I missed that.

Quote:
This does actually sound familiar to me, it happens once in a while when I try saving a new unit to the database. I haven't had the time to look into it, but I assume it has to do with the browser somehow trying to connect to the server without the server doing anything. And when no response is returned, the button never changes back to "Save". This will be one of the higher priorities to fix.

Quote:
Yeah, I know that the answer involves "responsive design" and "breakpoints" and suchnot, but I honestly have no concept how much effort we're talking. I am a programmer, as it happens, and I do even work on websites, but I'm strictly a back-end guy. What you guys do with the UI is all black magic AFAIC.
I would probably also consider myself to be more of a programmer than a UI guy, especially as anything I do with UI is fully self-taught. The bigger problem with creating a mobile website is that I've never done it it before and would have to learn it first.

Quote:
Whatever improvements you can make will be much appreciated. And, even if you can't find the time to make any at all, we still love the product.
That's really nice to hear, I'll see what I can do.

Old October 25th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Quote:
This does actually sound familiar to me, it happens once in a while when I try saving a new unit to the database. I haven't had the time to look into it, but I assume it has to do with the browser somehow trying to connect to the server without the server doing anything. And when no response is returned, the button never changes back to "Save". This will be one of the higher priorities to fix.
Yeah, I guess you just need to set a timeout on waiting for the server response. Something along those lines.

Quote:
I would probably also consider myself to be more of a programmer than a UI guy, especially as anything I do with UI is fully self-taught. The bigger problem with creating a mobile website is that I've never done it it before and would have to learn it first.
Sure, I hear ya. I wish I had good advice for you, but I think you've already surpassed me in the UI dept.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:39 PM

c3ringer is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

What's going on with HACCS lately? It seems to be down or not being hosted on bplaced any longer. Please come back soon, I had so many armies designed! But seriously, it was a great resource and it would be sad to see it go.
Old July 9th, 2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ringer View Post
What's going on with HACCS lately? It seems to be down or not being hosted on bplaced any longer. Please come back soon, I had so many armies designed! But seriously, it was a great resource and it would be sad to see it go.
I'm sorry, I should've posted here in addition to just changing the OP.
The hosting website moved all the data to a new server and removed the possibility to access websites through .com. So now, the only way to access HACCS is by going to http://haccs.bplaced.net/ which should be working fine!

Also, stay tuned for a major update later this year/beginning of next year!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software