Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the best map?! (Choose 3)
Dust Bowl by heroscaper2010 14 35.90%
Obsidian Wastes by Leaf_it 21 53.85%
Forest Fire by Rednax 14 35.90%
Icy Crevasse by cmgames 13 33.33%
Swamp Fire by JaesShurrig 7 17.95%
Cracked by Superfrog 12 30.77%
Ruins by the River of Vitality by Tankyteemo 6 15.38%
Lost Road Marsh by Leaf_it 18 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:25 AM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!
Re: VOTE NOW - TOP 10!!! (Valhallan Wastelands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'm afraid I didn't note very well that my map uses treasure glyphs. It's in the PDF, but I didn't note it carefully in the description. Could that be added to the OP?

Thanks!
Ah yeah, that changes things significantly. My biggest reservation when I first saw your map was that the center seemed like a huge chokepoint. I think the treasure glyphs choice is really good.
I did some playtesting on his map the other day and the choke point factor is minimized by the fact that the points you need to hold in order to maintain the choke point are lava rock. But regardless, it didn't flow particularly well. An interesting design though.

H E R O S C A P E
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:58 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaperedude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
I'm afraid I didn't note very well that my map uses treasure glyphs. It's in the PDF, but I didn't note it carefully in the description. Could that be added to the OP?

Thanks!
Ah yeah, that changes things significantly. My biggest reservation when I first saw your map was that the center seemed like a huge chokepoint. I think the treasure glyphs choice is really good.
I did some playtesting on his map the other day and the choke point factor is minimized by the fact that the points you need to hold in order to maintain the choke point are lava rock. But regardless, it didn't flow particularly well. An interesting design though.
Yeah, the right side is a little underdeveloped, but that’s what happens when you have such limited terrain.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:46 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

While I'm not the most competitive player I am pretty sure that none of the top ten are severely unbalanced as I think the Judges do a good job of controlling that so for me it's more about interest and aesthetics...My top two were easy for me in these regards. The third spot was tougher as I had a three way close race for this spot. I did settle on Dust Bowl as looking interesting though I'm unsure of how the closed off start zones will actually play but I trust the Judges that it's not crippling.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:49 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
While I'm not the most competitive player I am pretty sure that none of the top ten are severely unbalanced as I think the Judges do a good job of controlling that so for me it's more about interest and aesthetics...My top two were easy for me in these regards. The third spot was tougher as I had a three way close race for this spot. I did settle on Dust Bowl as looking interesting though I'm unsure of how the closed off start zones will actually play but I trust the Judges that it's not crippling.
Your challenge is the biggest one that we face as judges. A lot of times a map is balanced but at the cost of aesthetics. There are always maps that make that top ten because they are just beautiful, but have balance issues.

I guess that's what happens when a map is built based off of a theme.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Forest Fire looks to me a cut above the rest. I like the delivery of the theme - not a wasteland *yet*, but a burning forest that will be one soon enough - and I like the way the map looks like it would play.

It got the only vote I cast.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:35 PM

GUILD_WARRIOR knows what's in an order marker GUILD_WARRIOR knows what's in an order marker

Played on Dust Bowl last weekend. I really like the way it played. Elevations are placed well to stop one army from capturing all the higher ground. The Shadow spaces' enhanced defense also added another level to the melee battle in the center of the map. It has a really good flow throughout. Great job Heroscaper2010!
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:37 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yeah, the right side is a little underdeveloped, but that’s what happens when you have such limited terrain.
This is why I like to boost the terrain with the Marvel set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Forest Fire looks to me a cut above the rest. I like the delivery of the theme - not a wasteland *yet*, but a burning forest that will be one soon enough - and I like the way the map looks like it would play.

It got the only vote I cast.
I also voted for Forrest Fire based on how it looks like it would play.

For theme and appearance I also voted for Dust Bowl, and Icy Crevasse.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I like putting BfTU with Marvel (I've done it a few times if you look through my map thread). But stretching a small terrain set is always a challenge... channeling my inner @Typhon2222
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:02 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I like putting BfTU with Marvel (I've done it a few times if you look through my map thread). But stretching a small terrain set is always a challenge... channeling my inner @Typhon2222
That's true. Trying to see what you can pull off with limited material can be pretty fun, and lead to some interesting maps that you otherwise wouldn't have created.
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

Some of the aesthetically pleasing ones have some gameplay flaws, and some of the more playable ones aren't as pretty! Hmm... where to put my votes...
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quick thoughts on each map:

Obsidian Wastes: As I said before, the middle seems deceptively difficult for melee to cross, meaning ranged units, even if they aren't able to grab height, should easily get off 2-3 or more shots on an approaching enemy. Aesthetically it fits the theme.

Dust Bowl: The Treasure glyphs right by each start zone could be a problem, but then I like encouraging use of heroes and Treasure. There are a few perches and not much LoS blocking, but scattered shadow and more importantly road access to attacking the height makes up for that. Aesthetically appropriate as well, IMO (which is impressive because 'road' and 'wasteland' don't necessarily fit together to my mind).

Swamp Fire: Looks decent enough, but the jungle cover could probably be used better. There seem to be a couple hexes with height in the middle that also enjoy protection from the tree, which is a big negative in my book, allowing range to camp there with double defensive bonuses.

Ruins by the River of Vitality: Name's a little too long. I really like the placement of the pillars, battlements, and ruins to simulate former structures. The map looks pretty large, though, and with roads that go nowhere and a river that's too wide to cross easily, melee is going to get sniped from the banks of the opposite side.

Lost Road Marsh: More roads that mostly do nothing... Jungle cover and a massive middle LoS block are helpful, but the roads don't access enough of the opposing hill easily. Melee is going to get shot once or twice if it wants to approach despite all the trees.

Ticallan Tower: Love the lateral use of the road. Jungle cover is spread fairly well. Overall it looks pretty decent, just again, 'road' and 'wasteland' don't jive easily for me.

Barren Plateau: The most wasteland-ish look, IMO. This is a fairly straightforward map with LoS blockers place to cut off much of the map from the height. Shadow makes things in the middle interesting, as do glyphs. The one big flaw that I can see is the top glyph is 13 spaces from one start zone and 11 from the other, giving 6-move figures an advantage on one side.

Forest Fire: Looks solid all around. Nothing particularly special jumping out at me for some reason, though. Biggest issue is the hills right next to the start zone where range can camp without melee being able to use the road to access half the hexes with attacks.

Icy Crevasse: Interesting look (tundra is perhaps the most underused terrain). However, it looks like a choke-point nightmare with the placement of terrain and glyphs. The elevated hexes in the start zone are also a massive flaw to me. There should be no reason ranged armies can win without moving.

Cracked: I'll admit I had to take a second look at this one. I think it uses the minimal terrain well for what it is. It certainly fits the wasteland description. I like the smallness of the map, though like Obsidian the large amount of elevation changes in the middle could be a challenge.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Thank you for the feedback @NecroBlade ! I do enjoy hearing what other people think about the maps. It's good for playtesting too because sometimes you guys will catch something we miss, or point out something we can keep in mind or look for when playing on the maps.

Keep up the good work everyone! This is very exciting to see these votes coming in...even if @Leaf_It is battling against himself

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla