Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: How should i deal with these giants?
Fight fire with fire! draft the giants first! 5 7.14%
Lots of pesky/kickass squads 25 35.71%
Use lots of giant-killer heroes 8 11.43%
Get a fair mix of each, and hope for the best! 32 45.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27th, 2008, 01:12 AM

iamawesome Woo who?
Exclamation The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall... Right?

At the moment, the only characters my friends and i have (we pool together since we only really game at my house) that are large or huge are those provided in master sets such as mimring, Q10, Tor-Kul-Na, and any others im forgetting, and Krug, Me-Burq-Sa, and a few others. however, as of probably tomorrow, my friend will be recieving a package from house mouse containing Raknars vision, Orm's return, and Aquilla's alliance.
We have a large amount of expansions, however as I've started to think more and more about it, I have no clue what to do when these bad boys get here! I need some good advice on taking down giants, using mostly non-giant characters. while we typically draft, i know that it will be hard to obtain very many of these guys, while still grabbing my favorites such as cyprien, and the krav or nakita.

Basically... WHAT CAN I DO TO DESTROY THESE MONSTROUS AND OVERPOWERING FIGURES WITHOUT FIGHTING FIRE WITH FIRE?
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:32 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall... Right?

Use your head; adapting to your opponent is the best part of HS. Personally I write down armies like crazy even though I don't have all the figures to make them.

Killing big heroes really isn't different from killing little ones; they're just bigger, and not susceptible to most instant kill abilities.

Do some reading. Find what people have already written about the units you will be getting; this link is a list of all the figures and their general strategy. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=8099

Also please don't type a full sentence in all caps; use bold if you think its necessary, but highlighting an entire paragraph is to much.

EDIT: Also your last option in the poll should be worded, "Get a balanced mix of figures, and hope for the best but prepare for the worst"

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Fight fire with fire. It's more fun. He takes Q9? You take Sujoah.
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fire with fire! ....plus a giant-killing hero or three. Go with ALL heroes (this has been my theme lately). Or key onto each Giants weakness (no range, slow movement, poor defense, few lives etc.), and counterdraft with a unit that excels in that weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Can't go wrong with common squads that will get a lot of shots off. At NHSD I took down both Tor-Kul-Na and Su-Bak-Na (in the same army) with the Microcorp.

With height, they get four attacks each. No matter how many defense dice the big baddies get, twelve attacks in one round it tought to deflect.

The 4th Mass, 10th Foot, Stingers, and other shooty units will work as well.

-insert signature here-
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I always select 1-2 heroes and then I surround them with squads that are augmented by them.

I'd rather have Alastair McDirk and 8 Dirk Warriors than a Q9 and Q10.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My advice? Try them all!

The best way to learn what does and doesn't work is to build a map, draft an army, and have at it! Getting new units is a joy in this game, and the first few times you "take 'em for a spin", you'll often be surprised at what they can and can't do. In other words, the new "Giants" may seem really imposing and unstoppable, but you'll find that the largest figure in the game can fall to repeated attacks from the smallest. (though I really dont' recommend attacking Charos with the rats!) (But do use the rats to engage and tie up Charos!)

And please don't take any Heroscapers consensus as scripture either! There's a lot of good wisdom, tactics, and strategies one can learn here, but don't discount your own theory you'd like to test out!

In short, try out every unit against every unit. You might be pleasantly surprised at the unexpected strengths of the "little guys", and likewise surprised at finding the achilles heels of the "Giants". It's the difference between Theoryscape and Heroscape... Playing the game!

And to answer your poll.... ALL of those options work... just try out the ones that you find to be the most fun!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old October 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

There you go again Snotwalker 8000, making sense of the chaos.

-insert signature here-
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
And to answer your poll.... ALL of those options work... just try out the ones that you find to be the most fun!
and + Rep
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

You also might want to try Soul Shackle's low cost counters.

The big units are all different (you just don't deal with Braxas the way you do with Krug), explore the weaknesses of each and either counterdraft well or pick strong and balanced armies.

Enjoy playing the big guns!
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

I am a fan of and recent convert to giant-killer heroes supported by bonding squads (Alistair MacDirk and the MacDirk Warriors; Sir Denrick and the Knights of Weston; or Alistair with Knights of Weston). The squads keep the giant engaged, peppering the giant with small attacks while the giant-killer hero unleashes either the overextend attack or +2 attack.

This worked very well for me at NHSD against Jotun. I only lost 1-2 squad members before I took him out.

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles