Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

moorific is surprisingly tart
Saddest Video Game Moment Ever?

A friend of mine brought this up to me one day, and I don't know why but I could only think of one, and that was in Fire Emblem: PoR, when Ike's father, Greil, was killed by the Black Knight.

Your thoughts?
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
When Lavitz was killed by Lloyd in The Legend of Dragoon.

And when God of War II ended... I wanted it to keep going...

"Thought he, life is wicked in all meridians. I'll die a pagan."
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
When your hand gets cut off in Summoner and you lose all the rings you've been leveling up. I literally jumped off the sofa and said "WHAT?!?!". Now that was sad.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
How ****ing difficult Diddy Kong Racing was.

Never beat it, never will.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

*Spoilers!!!*
Pretty much the whole end. You're forced to fight the main characters' best friend. And he's not evil, he's just trying to help his own people. When you do kill him, after the credits, you get a short scene showing how he became friends with the main characters. It was done flawlessly and I almost started crying.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I like playing video games for the story, not necessarily the gameplay (Tetris is about the only one that generally breaks this rule). I get invested in the story, so I feel the pain of the heroes and outrage at the actions of the villains. Especially the pain of the heroes. I almost cried at the end of Halo 3.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
My saddest video game moment was after making it to the final boss in Final Fantasy VII, my memory card got corrupted and I couldn't load that file. I tried to start it over but I was just too devastated to go on.

I haven't had the heart to play a true RPG since then (about 9 years ago).
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I didn't think Halo 3 was sad, mainly because I started the game assuming everyone was going to die except Chief and Arbiter.

Anyway....sad games. I can't think of any off the top of my head. I've played scary games, or shocking games, or funny games, but not a whole lot of true sadness. I think it's really tough to design a game in which the players truly connect with the characters on an emotional level. Most games your allies are just meat shields or blundering idiots that get in the way, and any princess-type character you need to rescue is just a vague goal that justifies further game levels.

Some folks might say Bioshock is sad. I suppose it could be, but I find it's hard to connect to the creepy little girls enough to care what happens to them. Perhaps I need to play thorugh more of the game. I haven't beat it yet.
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Hasn't really been any that I can think of - no videogame has really been able to generate that emotion from me. Though Planescape: Torment came close when you first meet Deionarra...

It certainly wouldn't be anything from some poorly written J-RPG, that's for certain...
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids
My saddest video game moment was after making it to the final boss in Final Fantasy VII, my memory card got corrupted and I couldn't load that file. I tried to start it over but I was just too devastated to go on.

I haven't had the heart to play a true RPG since then (about 9 years ago).
The same thing happened to a friend of mine for FFVIII. You absolutely cannot start over. It's impossible.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
When Aeris died in FF7.

It reminded me of when Rambo's Vietnamese missus got killed, or perhaps when Artax dies in The Neverending Story. God, that still gets me, just thinking about it.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
No video game has ever made me sad. The Storyline and plot of HomeWorld certainly moved me some, but never to a point I would call sad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games