Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM

TOG knows what's in an order marker TOG knows what's in an order marker
Re: Buying a car

A '72 Impala. It'll fit mom's bill for being a tank, it has a trunk big enough to hold several bodies, and a back seat as big as a sofa.

A bonus, it'll keep you close to home, because you won't be able to afford to keep gas in it.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM

John Smith has disabled reputation

You can generally find a Cavalier or a Sunfire for a decent price and you don't have to worry about timing belts (they used a chain). Look for one that hasn't been abused and it'll be cheaper in the long run than a Civic or Corolla. Generally speaking, for example, an '04 Cavalier will be cheaper than a '04 Corolla with less miles on the clock. If you have to do a repair or have one performed, parts are cheaper on American cars than Japanese as well. The optional 2.4 liter 4 cylinder had slightly better performance than the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder which was the standard engine and both had similar gas mileage.

"It'll hurt if i do"
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!

That's not always true, Mr. Smith. Most "American" cars are in fact, not truly American, which means their parts are generally in the same price range as more reliable Japanese ones. My 1991 Toyota Corolla gets about 21 mpg, and the alternator which needed to be replaced when I bought it only cost me $40 bucks, after the core charge. Granted, it is almost 20 years old, but by the time say, the '04 Cavalier you mentioned is 20 years old, it's parts will be just as cheap (assuming inflation doesn't take off between now and then).

Honda's and Toyota's both will easily last you for a good 300-400 thousand miles, where as a domestic motor (such as your 2.4L Chevy Cavalier) might only hit 200 or 300 thousand. It's all in the vehicles past maintenance and how you choose to take care of it. Get your tires rotated every 5-6 thousand miles, your oil changed every 3 thousand, your air filter replaced every 12 thousand, and a tune-up at every 100 thousand and you can get quite a lasting engine out of anything, unless that engine just hates to be alive.
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker

Whatever you decide on... you should save until you can buy it with CA$H. Cars are the absolue worst purchase to take a loan out on... you will NEVER get your moneys worth out of it. Save up and buy a slightly older car, don't worry about what it looks like...worry how it preforms... Trust me, car payments make you unhappy!

Listen to the man Dave: http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/wh...car_5153.htmlc

just my 2 cents...

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General