Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Good Demo Armies to hook new players

I've taught a lot of friends and even included several beginners in my (house) tourneys. It really gives them a feel for tournaments, which I'm huge on.

Usually, I let them look through all of the figures or if there are none displayed then I have them look through the book of cards set by set. They tell me something that looks cool, interests them, or is a favorite of theirs already and I suggest armies towards it. They can play or pick whatever army they'd like, but since I know all the synergy connections, suggestions help. Or, since Heroscape has about every general type of warrior or faction now, except for pirates (), they can ask me something they like and I show them the figures/armies Heroscape has to offer.

So I often let them build their own army. But with absolute beginners I'll build an army that's full of synergy and is fun/solid. I build an army of equal competitive level myself to face them. It's a good opportunity to play groups or figures that are scarce play.

I think the Elf Wizard army is perfect for beginners. Romans, Marro, and Agent builds also incorperate a good amount of synergy and theme.

Smaller armies help them learn the rules and keep it simple for them; 300 - 350pt. builds?

Ulginesh 150pt.
Jorhdawn 100pt.
Arkmer 50pt.
WoA 50pt.

Marcus 100pt.
Ne-Gok-Sa 90pt.
Roman Legos x2 100pt.

Nakita Agents 120pt.
Gorillinators x2 180pt.

Tor-Kul-Na 220pt.
Marrden Nagrubs x4 120pt.

Sir Hawthorne 90pt.
Finn 80pt.
Eldgrim 30pt.
Knights x2 140pt.

Runa 120pt.
Minions x2 220pt.

Major X17 100pt.
Glads x2 160pt.
Blasts 60pt.

Edit: Happy 311 day!
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker

My wife recommended Romans Vs a Couple of Dragons
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

As others have said, the cool factor is really important for newbs. For me, it was the Krav. I thought having a squad of FBI fighting an orc on a dinosaur was the coolest thing ever. Themed armies look nice, but I actually think more random-looking armies would draw more people in.

Additionally, I think that complex stuff like auras and bonuses should generally be left out of armies, as they usually confuse things. Bonding is ok, because it makes the newb's life easier. But having to explain that Finn's aura only works on adjacent melee combat, well, that's just unnecessary.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Had great results with

Nilfhiem
KOW x 2
Concan

Three cards, some really cool looking units, big eye candy ice dragon. Three different types of units, but they really good together. Plus it seems to be a pretty solid army so noobs can start off doing good without.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:47 AM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You could also add Sir Denrick or Gilbert for a bonding option that still looks like a knight.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

At the time we wanted to keep the armies around 400 points and keep the card count down at the same time to make it easier to manage. I suppose Concan could be replaced by any other 80 point option like Finn, Thorgrim or Raelin. I think when it came down to the player thought Concan looked the coolest in the army.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
At the time we wanted to keep the armies around 400 points and keep the card count down at the same time to make it easier to manage. I suppose Concan could be replaced by any other 80 point option like Finn, Thorgrim or Raelin. I think when it came down to the player thought Concan looked the coolest in the army.
Everan Sunshadow could also work. I think he looks pretty cool (holding a fire and all), and can be pretty powerful.
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'm suprised no one has mentioned much about a battlefield. You also need to think of a simple playing field that teaches a little about height advantage, different terrain, and obstructions such as ruins.

I understand that the battlefield will be simpler with design, but just because it is easy doesn't mean it should be ignored or procrastinated.

May I suggest rock, road, trees, ruins, and ice? You may not want to make the battlefield too big, maybe five height at highest? They are not as serious terrain as that of lava, castles, or overhangs.

An overhang isn't a bad idea, but if the height level is five at highest, where's the overhang? It would be something for them to learn later, along with other terrain. I hated the fact that they made all of the major terrain types at once. I would have preferred it to be spread out.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!

I have finally set one up for 5/29 at my local game store.
I plan on bringing figures that ...
-are easy to find
-have few powers
-have 4 or less defense
-mainly are single spaced
-mostly melee
-200 point armies
For terrain a little bit of everything. Lava & Ice are too hard to find, so I won't bring those. I might build an extreme castle. I have 2 medium tables to work with. Considering how fast maps can be built & rebuilt there will be different maps all day. I think letting people build their own battlefield will be a big draw.
I also will be bring a large stack of BFTU guidebooks to give out to interested parties. Auggie's Games was very generous to donate them for this purpose.

Any advice for doing a demo would be appreciated.

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.

Last edited by WOOKIE; May 7th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker Dragon4201976 knows what's in an order marker

It comes down to board really I built a board using the Rttff expansion. Nice and small board and put elves against Orcs. It seemed to be a huge hit when I taught 8 of my close friends how to play. Now they are all addicted and bought there own MS. and some expansions. I now have a bunch of heroscape addicts that keep asking when the next game is.

You shall not pass!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles