Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 9th, 2022, 06:56 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Just as a quick outline of the day, here's how the matches broke down:

Round One:

Chas, Benjy, and Kolakoski on Rush Hour. (No winner).

Sherman Davies, Magic Gama, and Thrasher Darkrai on Impediment. (Winner: Sherman Davies).

Round Two:

Kolakosky, Sherman Davies, and Taeblewalker (Einar Army) on Rush Hour. (Winner: Sherman Davies with Taeblewalker Ullar Army)

Chas, Benjy, and Thrasher Darkrai on Impediment. (Winner: Thrasher Darkrai)

Round Three:

Chas and Thrasher Darkrai on Impediment while the Round Two Rush Hour game was still playing out. (Winner: Thrasher Darkrai).
Old November 10th, 2022, 06:22 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Faction Flag Series Honors

This series was not a tournament format. Different people attended different sessions and played a different number of games. Nevertheless, some players did better than others. While I was not involved in games going on while I was playing, here is my own perspective. Others are welcome to add theirs down thread, as well as their photos taken during the last session. I played the most games being always present as the host in seven games over three different game dates. I was very pleased that my scenario held up, being the one played the most ever in the history of the NYCG4.

First Place: Sherman Davies SD won all four of his games! The last was not even with his own army, he switched for variety to TW's Ullar Army, and continued to gain a victory. Congratulations, Sherm.

Second Place Tie: Although my second Chas Vydar army did not win, my first army won twice, and helped in a Team game win as well. Thrasher Darkrai won both of his games with an army that was great for this scenario, with his bonding Quahon handing off an enemy Flagbearer to his humble scuttling Spiders, who hustled it to his Start Zone twice. Nice going, TD! (Personal to TD, in a new video interview with DadScaper, one of the crew talks about being owned by an army with Quohon and the Spiders!)

Worst Luck Award: Kolakoski With great sportmanship and good humor, K. played on without a single win, but praised the scenario like eveyone else, and tried his best. As the recipient of three Worst Luck Awards from Islandscape over the years, I know how he feels.* Hooray for K.!

Memorable Mileage Award: Taeblewalker In commemoration of continuing to show up only after a three hour drive from Upstate for each game day, here's to TW! His full participation as a Core Group Member is always a surprise and a delight. Thanks for hanging in there, old buddy.

Return To Scape and Off To A Good Start Awards: Magic Gama and Thrasher Darkrai have returned to Heroscape, and now played in a larger group event. Benjy has started off his first larger group happening with some interesting moves and diplomacy too. A man after my own heart.

Those of us still present at the end of the satisfying game day, continued to discuss how to hold these now larger group game dates. Some tentative conclusions:

1. As I had predicted, you can never tell how many players will actually show up, and when. We had one late arrival and two early departures, which affected how many of us played at any one time.

2. Six people is usually as many as can play comfortable at our table at one time. We were lucky that we didn't have all seven of us playing at once, although we could have managed it.

3. We prefer to continue our practice of generally playing together on a medium sized board in Free For All or especially Team games, for greater social interaction. This time around, not everyone got to play on the same battlefield as everyone else. Again, six players will normally be the maximum in any one game. The only time we've broken down into 2 Player games, other than when it was a session with only that number, was when we were practicing for an upcoming Islandscape Convention.

4. If anyone misses out on playing due to their personal availability or having more than six players signing up for any one date, I can host more sessions here with fewer players to accommodate them.

5. Our three new members, after they get some more games here under their belts, can be put in the Game Master rotation when they feel ready to do so, if they wish.

All further comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome from the Membership and Our Lurkers, as we continue to adjust to our larger membership! Further game dates can also be set up here for guests who wish to participate in Scaping here in Brooklyn Heights, where I also give a 20 minute Historical Tour in this Designated Historical Neighborhood, which has many surprises to reveal, beautiful browstones, and the best view of Manhattan and New York Harbor from our famous riverfront Promenade.

*The only trophies for anything I ever won in my 70 years were at our local annual Islandscape Conventions, run by Warbanner and Griznakh, in the recent years before the Pandemic struck (and one other). These included Worst Luck Awards in 2017, 2018, and 2019, which became a local joke--mostly in recognition of me providing the gang with cake! I also won a legitimate Third Place in 2016. Finally, I also gave myself First Place in the only NYCG4 miniConvention we held here at The Game Palace in 2019. These was a big deal to me, who rarely attended any other Scape conventions--I think two of them only over the years (one up in New England attended by some of our other site members, and one down in Maryland run by DadScaper. Some of our other members have won more prestigious awards at various Conventions over the years. But I now proudly show off my very own Trophy Shelf to those who are interested!

I note also that Sherman Davies, Thrasher Darkrai, and several others of the old Islandscape hands such as Griznakh and X Marker of the old hands regathered on Eastern Long Island for a group game day only last week. Congrats to them for restarting the Islandscape tradition on a smaller scale after Covid. Our Scape community friendships continue intro the Post Covid Era.

Last edited by chas; November 10th, 2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old November 10th, 2022, 07:00 AM

Next Game--Tablewalker SuperScape December 7.

As per our group discussion, TW will consolidate his SuperScape Game onto one board rather than several 2 Player ones, making up premade teams of Heroes and villains for us. Magic Gama will be unable to attend, as will Kolakoski, who will be on vacation. As we have done before, if we do end up with an odd number of players, TW the Game Master will sit out and run the game, as per another old NYCG4 tradition.

Just as our recent games were the first with C3V Customs for our three new members, this will be their first Supers game.

We have chosen this date, as I will be having another hospital procedure on Dec. 12, after which I may be unavailable for a day or two. On the other hand, my Canadian pal will be coming down around Christmas for the first time since Covid--the border is now reopened--as he usually does annually. Everyone is welcome to come play other board games with us, as we game our brains out as usual!

Sherman Davies will GM the January 2023 game to start off the New Year of Scape!

I will be running a teaching session for the simple board game Memoir 44 for Benjy, and any other of our new members who are interested, on a date TBA this month of November.

Last edited by chas; November 10th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old November 17th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Age of Annihilation Annihilated

Sadly, the Haslab campaign for Heroscape 2.0 was not funded, and supposedly will not be revisited by Hasbro. We must move on without it, although I may proxy some of the 30 cards revealed to us (out of an intended 46) on our table some day! A poster on BGG said he had fun doing that.

Cheers to all who backed, like I did. It was a worthy attempt, and we raised 1.1 million dollars for the cause.
Old November 17th, 2022, 08:35 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

@chas I think the community missed out the most in all this, but not because we didn't get the new toys. There's clearly been a huge influx of activity here since the announcement of the campaign and I expect that traffic to continue for a while. But like any discontinued game, eventually it's down to just the diehards. Seems it takes a game to be current for the community to stay crazy vibrant.

I'm not saying what's here isn't good enough. As always the folks here, new and seasoned, are awesome and I look forward to diving back into the deep end.

This whole thing, for me, was about possibility of getting things back (or close) to how they were in the beginning (not that it would have been exactly the same). This place was teaming with players from all over with so many conversations going it was almost impossible to keep up. The whole setting was the perfect storm for me.

Maybe I shouldn't say the community missed out, this place means different things to everyone. For me, it feels like a carrot was dangled and ripped away leaving me with an empty stomach.

I am grateful that the campaign at least pulled me back. I never planned to 'leave' but stuff happened years ago and eventually that spec in the rear view mirror that Scape became (at the time) got out of view for a while.

My now 20yr old son (he was 4 the first time I showed him the game) and I dusted off the collection when this all started up and we now have a weekly game going. It's been awesome to say the least. My two teenage daughters never took to the game unfortunately, but I have a 4yr old daughter and a 7 month old baby boy bringing up the rear, so looks like this return couldn't have come at a better time. I am thoroughly re-immersed.

Whew, where did that come from? Sorry if I just hijacked things in here, felt like a good space for this... rant? to you!

-insert signature here-
Old November 17th, 2022, 09:48 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
@chas Maybe I shouldn't say the community missed out, this place means different things to everyone. For me, it feels like a carrot was dangled and ripped away leaving me with an empty stomach.

I am grateful that the campaign at least pulled me back. I never planned to 'leave' but stuff happened years ago and eventually that spec in the rear view mirror that Scape became (at the time) got out of view for a while.
I think you're correct about the carrot analogy.

I for one am glad you're back.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 17th, 2022 at 09:48 AM. Reason: I think Chas is too.
Old November 19th, 2022, 06:17 AM

THE PARTIAL RETURN OF AGE OF ANNIHILATION

You can't keep a good fan community down! Although the Haslab campaign did not fund, some of our posters are already setting up Classic Format cards for the wonderful AOA Characters revealed during the campaign-- about 30+ out of 46. And writing Books of Index, our fan format for the basic reference on each. And even suggesting some proxy figures. Amazing, guys.

You can see the cards in the new subforum Customs/Age of Annihilation here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=61564

There may be a few changes made for editing and options to ignore the two new AOA Generals and designate the old Generals for all of the new figures; you may have the option for either as you prefer. The new Revna as an evil General was meant as a replacement for Valkrill, who was in limbo. And some of the new AOA Lifeborne Faction were being reallocated over from Volarek to Ullar anyhow. So you can just allocate them to these two old Generals if you like. The new AOA characters had many nice synergies with each other and with older Classic characters. The designers were technically ignoring Customs, but there might be some good combos with them too.

Kudos to those working on this project. The cards look great.

We may not get the rest of the characters; but you never know...I still want my Clockwork Airship! There are also a few others we didn't get. Plus the intended new Valkyries and the 2.0/3.0 versions of the old Swarm of the Marro heroes. Technically Craig and the War Council can't reveal them due to their NDAs as Avalon Hill/Hasbro designers, at least for now.

Proxytown, here we come. You NYCG4 guys will see some of them in my upcoming armies on the table for sure! At least in my games.

As we say in anime: MWAHAHA!

(Edit): I have now posted my own personal custom of Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt, since the official one remains unrevealed, here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=61579

This is the only card that remains unrevealed for the AOA Clockwork Collective Custom faction. More's the pity that we don't have it.

Last edited by chas; November 20th, 2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old November 20th, 2022, 08:56 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Faction Flag Series Honors

First Place: Sherman Davies SD won all four of his games! The last was not even with his own army, he switched for variety to TW's Ullar Army, and continued to gain a victory. Congratulations, Sherm.
Thanks, I was mostly able to win that last game due to the sportsmanship of @kolakoski , who noticed that - due to us playing a three-player game on a map intended for four players - my start zone was incredibly vulnerable to his army in the first round. He thus proposed a non-aggression pact for the first round, which we extended on a round by round basis until all three players were engaged in the action. I was able to use the truce to develop my positioning outside my start zone, which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do.

Some pics from the games, courtesy of @Benjy

Gothlok, Laglor and Ornak lead their respective armies to battle:

Clayton Pierce's posse and their Axegrinder friends advance on Quahon and her minions:

A target-rich environment for Quahon:

Old November 23rd, 2022, 05:24 AM

An Open Invitation

Thanks for posting the photos, Sherman Davies. Sherm is actually coming over today to playtest some new Marvel customs he's been working on. I've got two tournament size maps up on the table as he requested. It should be a fun afternoon!

Its been a while since we had some one on one Heroscape action here. Anyone can set up a session if they like in November or December; I'm usually around more than most people at holiday time!

My old Canadian pal is coming over this year for the first time since Covid began, to revive his annual holiday visits--the border is finally open again. So I'll be doing a lot of gaming between Christmas and New Year's.

This upcoming Christmas Eve will be my 71st birthday.

Last edited by chas; November 24th, 2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old November 24th, 2022, 08:51 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Sherman was over yesterday to play three Scape games, and then we went out for a turkey dinner at the local restaurant. Today I'll be watching the NYC parade with my sister, who is up in MA, on the phone. Enjoy your holiday, however you celebrate it!
Old November 25th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Age of Annihilation Heroscapers Site Update

I just wanted to mention here, for those that may not be following Age of Annihilation posts, that the AOA part of the site has now been reorganized and is growing exponentially. There is a new site section for Age of Annihilation. It includes Books of Index just being written for individual characters. There is also a thread for finding good proxy minis, some of which are being purpose made for selling, some of which preexisted before AOA came along.

Most importantly, Anitar has done classic style cards for all the revealed AOA characters, which include photos of the minis. She's even moved on to provide one for all of the regular ones not revealed in the the offering now. By "regular" I mean so far not including the 7 Kyries and the 5 SOTM Heroes in the 2.0 or 3.0 versions (the offering Stretch Goals).

There are also several discussion threads about what is permissible to post here on the site so as not to make Hasbro unhappy. So we're now leaving Stage One of reacting to the campaign, and its failure to fund, to Stage Two where we figures out what we've got to work with to get them to the table unofficially!

Point being, it will be pretty easy to print out these cards and play with the characters, even if you just provide your own proxy figures. For example, since I have all the Star Wars minis, I'm thinking of using my Wookies for the Bears! Etc. This makes me happy, as I do plan to do this fairly soon here on our table. I'm just waiting for some shake down time to see if any big changes are made to them all.
Old November 28th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Dec. 7 Taeblewalker SuperScape Preview

Four or five of us will be available for Taeblewalker's Superscape Extravaganza games on Dec. 7. Our increased membership from 4 to 7 means we probably won't often have all of us there on any one play date, but that we'll have enough players to game the custom scenarios presented by our Game Masters every month. Also, there will be more local players to join me here at The Game Palace for other Scape and other board game sessions on other dates we can arrange also. Seems like a win-win!

On Dec. 7 we'll be playing on one of TW's original maps. Several C3G Marvelscape hero and villain teams will be available, as Spiderman & His Amazing Friends (the old TV show), The Fantastic Four, and the X-Men face their typical archvillains and their partners/henchpeople on this medium sized common map. Some of the teams will include thematic Classic/Custom Scape characters as well. Each of us 4 core members has their own tendencies in designing our scenarios, and shows them off in our regular GM Rotation.

This will be the first time for one or two of our new members playing Superscape, and should be fun for them and us all.

NYCG4 Comic Hero Adventures

There has always been a very large number of Supers customs available. While our games usually feature either C3G or Sherman Davies supers customs, we have in the past used a very wide variety of custom designers, from Grey Owl to Griznakh, from Drewmanchu to Doc Savage. When we make up our own teams, I love to choose an unusual unknown card or two from my very large collection culled from the site years ago in The Great Supers Card Hunt I made back when I retired, to surprise my buddies!

Thematically, we've used new movie releases from the Marvel or DCU Cinematic Universes to game. We've also played period games from the Golden or Silver Age of comics, or from a particular run of a particular book. Since we're all comic fans--SD used to work in one of NYC's leading comic shops--its always fun to do.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion