Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 9th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker
House Rules & Alternate Play Modes

Been playing HeroScape since about 2008 now and just recently got back into playing again after being away for a few years. Most of my group (some who were teens at the time, who are now adults.. LOL) has stayed together and a lot of us that play now also played back them. (Family and close friends.) Most all of our games is just 'destroy the other team' and we did dabble in a CTF style 'capture the glyph' game many years ago that was fun.

This past weekend, we played a game on this map:

Twin Peaks - 6 RotV, 4 RttFF

While we were drafting armies, I threw a glyph in the middle of the bridge and stated if anyone ended their turn on the glyph, it reduced all range to 1 (special and normal) and negated all flying for all figures on the map. I figured was just something fun to mix it up and everyone was like: "Ok. Let's try it." Well, little did I know that it actually made the game very enjoyable. Knowing when to 'make the break' to run away, or when to make a mad dash onto the glyph was very fundamental to our play session. We had the Imperium, as well as Memring and Su-Bak-Na on the field... so watching them lose flight was fun. It was awesome to see flying small and medium characters get 'stuck' on the two hill areas, because if they jumped down (due to lost of flight) they would risk fall damage. So, it was either wait till the glyph was unoccupied, or risk taking the long way down and hope that nobody enabled ranged before they made it to where they were going and had the higher ground on the bridge as they made it to the bottom.

That got me thinking: What are some of your favorite 'house rules' or scenarios that you guys play that you enjoy? I'm not very good at making scenarios so I'd like to get a feel for what some of you do and maybe help incorporate it into some of our play sessions. We don't use tournament maps or anything like that. All of our sessions are casual and usually on larger maps.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!
Old July 10th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: House Rules & Alternate Play Modes

We played some games with the tundra set where the ice really was "slippery". If you stepped onto an ice tile that had other ice tiles adjacent to it, you would continue (slide) in a straight line as far as the ice went and then stop when you hit a different type of terrain. If you by some chance passed an opposing figure en route across the ice, you took disengagement.
Old July 11th, 2019, 12:49 AM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've thrown together a '2.0' ruleset which includes the ideas of placing glyphs in a bag and drawing a random amount each turn, as well as using 'x' order markers (you get two x order markers per player) to then spend for extra movement or extra dice. Works really well as a tactical skirmish game (although it was already a great tactical skirmish game!).

Betty or Veronica...?
Old July 11th, 2019, 02:21 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Ive made a handful of alternate modes. Some of my favorite are hexless heroscape and heroscape skirmish assault. You can find links to them in my signature.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker

Thanks a lot, guys! Will take a look at all of these and thanks for the suggestions.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion