Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:29 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Glyph of Knowledge) - Pod 0 - Design

Hodgepodge armies will certainly suffer more from this than ones that focus on a common squad, but there's little that we can change about this without changing directions from looking at an OM. I don't think we should worry about getting this glyph into the competitive scene; let it happen naturally if it does.

I'm fine with looking at one unrevealed OM from each opponent. 3+ player games are already more chaotic, and it'd be fun to have a new glyph that paints a target on a player's back for those types of experiences.

As a quick aside, when we refer to a "random OM," are we intending this to be truly random? Of course the affected player can't choose which of their OMs that the other sees, but how would we stop the player on the glyph from looking at one OM over another? My impression is that they would just look at where the OMs are, choose one that they want to see, and then put it back.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:00 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

One of my biggest pet peeves is I hate the word RANDOM used inappropriately - it is meant for dice roles or shuffle draws NOT when you pick - the correct word to use is ARBITRARY as you could have some reason just not quantifiable but it is not actually random. However every game (including Heroscape) has "randomly choose" when it is should be "arbitrary choose". Anyway, everyone is so used to the wrong usage that people know when you say "pick at random" it means "arbitrarily choose" so that is fine unless you want to satisfy my pet peeve.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:03 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've always interpreted "randomly choose an OM" that way as well, although I wanted to make sure that was what we were going with. While I agree that "arbitrarily choose" is the correct term to use, I can see why the original designers went with what they did and I think that we should match that.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:04 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I used Randomly Choose in the way Official Scape uses it.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 24th, 2019, 02:04 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Correct, "random" is Heroscape's word.

I do think we could be more clear, though:

Quote:
At the start of each round, after placing Order Markers, choose one Army Card controlled by each opponent and look at a random Order Marker on each of those cards.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; May 24th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 24th, 2019, 02:13 PM

I would change "an Army Card" to "one Army Card" just to be perfectly clear, but otherwise I am fine with the wording.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:11 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

Quote:
At the start of each round, after placing Order Markers, choose one Army Card controlled by each opponent and look at a random Order Marker on each of those cards.
This looks like a great way to use this glyph. Nice work guys

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; May 27th, 2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

Quote:
This looks like a great way to use this glyph. Now work guys
Demanding demanding.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 2nd, 2019, 09:13 AM
I could go

[ignore this post]

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 3rd, 2019, 06:16 PM
I could go

Alright, if there are no more opinions on this, I think we can safely move this to testing next.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 4th, 2019, 11:04 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

This is probably better suited for an off-topic discussion but when someone says "random order marker" if it was truly random you would force the player to "shuffle" the order markers on the cards (without looking themselves) before picking, otherwise if shuffling is optional or not enforced, the choice is actually arbitrary as you can try to deduce either from the initial placement of order markers or the person's not-so-random reordering of markers before you pick or even if they randomly shuffled but looked at the markers before you choose, you can look at their eyes to try to deduce which is which. Of course the person would be allowed to shuffle order markers blindly before you "look at a random Order Marker" but IMHO with current wording it is not required (or do you all disagree and say it is required?).

Just a big pet peeve of mine as if you use the word "random" technically you are enforcing blind shuffling but anyone who actually forced that would be considered a rules-lawyer in my house/gaming group, as most people know when rules says things like "steal/look-at a random card" it actually means arbitrary (deduction of what it is is allowed and encouraged) and not required/enforcibly random.

Do I pick the order marker closest to me or closest to the player?

Old June 20th, 2019, 07:17 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Bumping this. Where we at?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs