Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Philadelphia, PA Post Tourney Thread 9/18

Thanks guys for a great tournament. I had a lot of fun and I hope everyone else did too. A big thanks goes out to HiveKeeper who helped me tremendously with keeping the whiteboard up to speed as well as with organizing match ups. Thanks to Vydar is the Man for supplying us with the paper treasure glyphs and the extra heroes prize pack. (Those two deserve some positive rep!) Thanks for all of the people who brought maps as well as all of the players who came out to play. Last, but not least, thanks to Redcap's Corner for hosting the event.

Here are the results:
1. 5-0 (3000 pts) tom - Krug, Fen Hydra x 2, Iron Golem, Kelda, Zetacron
2. 4-1 (2800 pts) mikelizzio – Major Q9, Raelin, Fen Hydra, Iron Golem, Kaemon Awa
3. 4-1 (2775 pts) Spidysox – Raelin, Taelord, Fen Hydra x 2, Atlaga, Isamu
4. 4-1 (2760 pts) Tyler – Jotun, Major Q9, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein
5. 3-2 (2460 pts) bobgrant – Zetacron, Taelord, Raelin, Kaemon, Fen Hydra, Isamu, Eldgrim
6. 3-2 (2380 pts) peteparkerh – Drake (SotM), Iron Golem x 2, Raelin, Major Q10
7. 3-2 (2130 pts) Arcus – Zetacron, Major Q9, Iron Golem, Fen Hydra x 2, Marcu
8. 3-2 (1760 pts) Nightswipe – Sujoah, Raelin, Charos, Krug
9. 2-2-1 (2190 pts) Vydar is the Man – Atlaga, Raelin, Fen Hydra x 2, Sujoah
10. 2-2-1 (1260 pts) Justine – Kurrok, Torin, Skyhunter, Fire Elemental x 4, Air Elemental x 2, Earth Elemental x 2
11. 2-3 (2305 pts) Northgate – Black Wyrmling x 6, Syvarris, Kaemon, Theracus, Major X17, Brave Arrow, Isamu
12. 2-3 (1940 pts) Clancampbell – Ulginesh, Arkmer, Emiroon, Kyntela, Acolarh, Chardris, Morsbane
13. 2-3 (1535 pts) Johngee – Drake (SotM), Tandros, Kaemon , Atlaga, Skyhunter, Otonashi
14. 2-3 (1000 pts) Hivekeeper – Iron Golem x 2, Major Q9, Zetacron, Shurrak
15. 1-4 (1730 pts) Sensei of Samurai – Jotun, Charos, Cyprein Esenwein, Isamu
16. 1-4 (1475 pts) grunttactics – Saylind, Raelin, Rhogar, DW 7000, Theracus, Brunak, Kelda
17. 1-4 (1035 pts) Sean – Finn, Mimring, Syvarris, Agent Carr, Raelin, Ne-Gok-Sa

Also, here are some links to other upcoming tournaments in the area. Hopefully I will see you there!
NHSD in NJ, 10/16
Eastern PA NHSD Tournament, 10/23
Savage, MD HeroScape Event, 11/7
Casual Game Day - West Chester, PA, 11/20

Last edited by tom; October 5th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added tournament results
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker
Re: Philadelphia, PA Post Tourney Thread 9/18

Thanks a bunch for hosting, Tom, I had a lot of fun. And Sensei can't stop talking about our first SotM and Warriors of the Ghostlight Fen pack.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If you don't mind, could you post the rankings and armies each preson brought. I'd like to do the random statistics again. On a different note, I will not be able to attend either of the NHSD Events due to PSATs and my friend's Bat Mitzvah. The Savage MD Event is still on my radar, as is the Casual Day in West Chester. Hope to see you there.

Great Tournament Tom

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for running this Tom! I loved the format.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSwipe View Post
Thanks a bunch for hosting, Tom, I had a lot of fun. And Sensei can't stop talking about our first SotM and Warriors of the Ghostlight Fen pack.
Glad you guys had a good time. Enjoy the Hydras! They are a ton of fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
If you don't mind, could you post the rankings and armies each preson brought. I'd like to do the random statistics again.

Great Tournament Tom

-Vitm
Thanks. The results are now posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteparkerh View Post
Thanks for running this Tom! I loved the format.
I really enjoyed playing on Migol's Tomb v.2.1. Anybody who had a match on it should head over to peteparkerh's map thread and give him some feedback on your experience.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Tom, congratulations on keeping the streak alive.

I anticipate doing poorly at our event coming up in November, but Drewcula will be there to defend the honor of our regional tournament directors; he's td'ing with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
The Savage MD Event is still on my radar, as is the Casual Day in West Chester. Hope to see you there.
I will take that as a "maybe," Vydar is the man, and act accordingly.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

TOM ~

Thanks for hosting another GREAT EVENT. I had a FUN time. It's always a pleasure to get together periodically with what is becoming "old friends" and participating actively in a shared common interest. The decorum and gamesmanship of this group is commendable. By the way, the traffic was very light all the way home and I made it smoothly in aprx. 2 hours.

In my typical fashion, I thought of a lot of Armies for this Heroes ONLY 600 point format, but had no opportunities to play test any of them. I brought with me these six...
1. ROBOTS: Major Q-9, Major Q-10, DW-8000, & DW-9000 = 4 @ 600
2. DRAGONS: Nilfheim, Zelrig, Mimring, & Kelda = 4 @ 600
3. BUG and VAMPIRES: Sujoah, Cyprien, Sonya, Brunak, & Valguard = 5 @ 600
4. ELEMENTALS: 4x Greater Ice Elementals & RotV Raelin = 5 @ 600
5. ELVES: Sonlen, Jorhdawn, Chardris, Syvarris, Brandis, Arkmer & Otonashi 7 @ 600
6. HUMANS: SotM Sgt. Drake, Tandros Kreel, Kaemon Awa, Brandis, Atlaga & Otonashi = 6 @ 600
...and finally decided on using this last one during the tournament.

The individual games are all a blur right now, since I did not take the time to jot down notes as I usually do. But each one was well fought and the opposing armies all seemed balanced. This is what I do remember:

GAME #1: me vs. Sean, a new comer, on Map ? - It was his first game ever, after a quick tutorial session with Pete; a friend had given him a bunch of figures and he just wanted to try them out. Atlaga's witherwood bolt missed Mimring, then he was mindshakled by Ne-Gok-Sa. I finally killed off the dragon with Tandros and the Marro dude with Sgt. Drake. Brandis got a good position with height advantage to shoot at Syvarris and Agent Carr. The game was eventually called and I WON because of slightly more points. (Standings: 1 Win -&- 0 Loss)

GAME #2: me vs. ClanCampbell on Map ? - His elves were bonding with Ugliness, so he kept moving several of them each turn and even though my archers had height advantage and jungle vegetation protection, those Elves just would NOT die. I only mangaged to get Morsbane before my entire army was destroyed. Oh well, Clan is a good sportsman and played the pointed-eared faries very well. (1-&-1)

GAME #3: me vs. PeterParkerH on MAP ? - Another tough battle, but my characters expired one by one to his formidable fighters... Sorry Pete, my mind is going blank, I only remember conversing about Minas Tirith and Tinker Bell. At one point, I think I suprised him by taking a leaving engagement wound on Sergeant Drake in order to attack Raelin, who was still in his start zone providing her Aura for two (TWO, that's 2x) Iron Golems. There is no way I wanted to confront them if they were going to get *EXTRA* Defense Dice. I lost anyway. (1-&-2)

Game #4: me vs. Hivekeeper on Map ? - My first thoughts were "OH NOOooooo, not two more Iron Golems and that new Big Guy, Surrack... *AND* Q-9! Ouch!" Her opening moves were to bring out Zetacron on her left, whom I engaged and destroyed with Tandros, and on her right, the Major, who parked himself on high ground overlooking my start zone and he repeatedly Quiglixed my figures, but unsuccessfully because my strong defenses could block even multiple attacks of three. However, I was force to engage him and finally took him out by double teaming him with Sgt. Drake and Kaemon Awa. Unfortunately, four of my figures were still on the lava and three of them took another wound. Things were not looking good and I was trying not to let on that those three giants still in her start zone looked very intimidating. I seized the initiative and pressed my attacks hoping to just get the coming carnage over quickly. Then my lucked changed when Kaemon AWESOME took down an Iron Golem with four skulls on a quick release double shot. Yahoo! (that was the highlight of my entire day). Sergeant D. looked rediculous next to Surrack, as if he was just chopping off his toes while a huge meat cleaver loomed over his head, but he eventually killed the monster. She brought out the last I.G. to meet the same fate in the same location, by forgetting to land on a shadow tile. My second win of the day and my confidence was bolstered knowing that I could at least beat a newbee and a little girl. - Thank you Jomini, Clausewitz, and Sun-Tzu for all those strategy lessons you taught me... and thanks HK for a very FUN game. LOL (Standings now at: 2-&-2)

GAME #5: me vs. VydarIsTheMan on Map ? - Since we were both out of the competition for Top Honors, this last game of the day was more casual than the previous ones. We hadn't faced each other for over a year and laugh a lot because several times we rolled the same number on the d20 and had to re-roll for initative. When his Atlaga went after a glyph, it left him vulnerable to my Brandis on high ground who gets a bonus for shooting flying things. When the witherwood bolt failed to kill Sujoah, I had to go after it with the good old Sarge who finally sliced and diced the big bug, even after taking several poison wounds. Then I had to figure out how to deal with two Fen Hydras. VitM very cunningly used Raelin as bait to lure my Brandis off of his perch and then he became easy prey for the now three headed creature. One by one my figures died fighting the two beasts until eventually only Otonashi was left to face the towering serpents. Ce la vie, ce la guerre. I ended the day with 2 Wins and 3 Losses.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 20th, 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Misspoke and corrected, fixed typos, and added after thoughts.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
My second win of the day and my confidence was bolstered knowing that I could at least beat a newbee and a little girl
I almost peed my pants when I read that, it was so funny.

Thanks Tom for a great event I had a ball.

I brought Raelin, Taelord, 2x Fen Hydra, Atlaga and Isamu

The Fen were absolute beasts if I could get them inside Taelords Aura. I often had them there and on height. Rolling 6 attack dice 4 times on one attack is just sick and is usually enough to finish off any hero and did several times. I also got Atlaga's bolt to work twice which is what I was hoping for.

I finished the day 4-1 with a very disapointing loss to Tyler. I placed my order markers on the wrong hydra card (even though I thought the move through several times and knew where I wanted them to go) and because of that lost a game that I probably should have won. It was down to a 5 wound Jotun and 2 wound Sonya vs. a 4 wound Taelord, fully health Raelin, 2 headed hydra, fully healthy hydra and Isamu. I planned on putting my x order marker on the fully healthy hydra (figuring that he would attack him first) and then put my 1 and 2 on the 2 headed hydra figuring that two attacks at 5 dice should be enough to finish off the giant. Unfortunately, I reversed the order markers and put the 1 and 2 on the hydra with no wounds and sat and watched in horror as Jotun one shotted him. Now my order markers were shot and Jotun reeked havoc on my figures. I ran away with Taelord and killed Sonya, but lost the chess match to get him into melee range first to kill the giant.
I could hardly be to upset though as order marker management is a big part of the game and I blew it plain and simple. Also, Tyler is a heck of a nice guy and was a lot of fun to play against and deserved to win.
I'll still be kicking myself over that one for a while though

Couple of observations
1. 4 of the top 5 finishers had Fen Hydra in their armies.
2. Only 5 Raelins in play. I really expected to see double that amount.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
I will take that as a "maybe," Vydar is the man, and act accordingly.
Correct.

And Now, Put Your Hands Together for...

THE RANDOM STATISTICS

Most Used Unique Hero: Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV) ( 8 )
Second Most Used Unique Hero: Zetacron, Major Q9, Kaemon Awa, Atlaga the Kyrie Warrior (4 way tie at 4 each)
Most Used Uncommon Hero: Fen Hydra (10)
Second Most Used Uncommon Hero: Iron Golem (7)
Most Used Common Hero: Black Wyrmling (6)
Second Most Used Common Hero: Fire Elemental (4)
'Scapers Who Tied And Threw A Wrench Into Tom's Works: Vydar is the man and Justine
Players added to the Defeated by Xanth Club: Nobody, he wasn't here
Most Thematic Army (IMO): Clancampbell and his Elven Wizards
Coolest Army (Also IMO): Justine and her Elementals
Most Unique Army (IMO, again): Sean, using only figures from RotV

This has been Random Statistics with Vydar is the man. Tune in after next tournament for the next edition.

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; September 19th, 2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: (8) makes a emote, so I changed it
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks Tom! This was a great event and I had a blast. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like the format. Turns out, I was wrong, it was very interesting, and alot of fun.

The elves. They weren't half bad. Despite my 2-3 showing, they were very competitive, and every game seemed to come down to the wire, and I can say that had a couple of more rolls went my way, I could have ended up alot better than I did. The elves need more ranged firepower. Chardris and Arkmer were my only 2 with range (besides Ulginesh, who was always giving up his turns for mindlink). It seems once one of them fell, things got tough. Ulginesh is the key, when he goes down, it seems the whole ship goes down with him. I did battle back once from an early Ulginesh death, but it was tough going.

Morsbane served as a great distraction. Often taking the brunt of the early assult. The fear of negation is a very powerfull psycological tool. In actuality, negation was only a success twice, in the same game. However, it was very funny to negate Brunak, and then see him take some lava damage. Sorry Fred!

Acolarh was an interesting choice. His leaf managed to save someone in every game, and twice in one game! Even though it didn't work very often, it was fun to watch my opponents faces as they thought they killed one of my elves, only then to see a look of concern as I rolled for the home tree.

Again, I had fun and enjoyed my games with Tom, Gruntatics, Johngee, Spidysox, and Arcus.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM

grunttactics Woo who?

I really enjoyed the heroes format. Tom -- I think you should do this again. Congrats and thanks!

I enjoyed my opponents equally well. Thanks for the great games Northgate, Clan, Sensei, and Hivekeeper!

I'll be back, and so will Saylind!

Regards,
Fred
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
I almost peed my pants when I read that, it was so funny.
One time my wife was going shopping at the Mall and asked me if I wanted her to buy me some new underwear. When I said, "Yeah sure." She said "Briefs or Jockeys?" and I answered, "Well it depends." So guess what she bought me? Gosh darn, I'm not THAT OLD, yet. ...lol...

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events