Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

View Poll Results: Which next-gen console do you prefer right now?
Xbox One 4 11.11%
PS4 17 47.22%
Neither, happy with what I have/don't play video games. 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Next Gen Consoles

I don't consider myself a hard-core video gamer, nor a technological expert, but I've been closely following the news releases regarding the upcoming PS4 and Xbox One game systems. I don't plan on purchasing either of these systems at launch, or shortly thereafter, but I imagine that I'll buy one or the other within the next couple years. (Most likely around the time when the new Star Wars: Battlefront game launches)

I currently have an Xbox 360 and a PS2. When the time came to upgrade from the PS2, which was only 3 years ago for me, I went with the Xbox 360 for two reasons:
1. I wanted to play Halo
2. Most people I knew had 360's

I have been very happy with the Xbox 360, and wouldn't have minded too much if they never released another new video game system again. Since that is not the case, and there will inevitably be a next-gen-only game released that will make me drool, I will eventually have to figure out which new console to go with. My official decision cannot be made until both consoles have been released and thoroughly run through the gauntlet, but based on the recent news releases by Sony and Microsoft, my first take opinion has been formulated.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTENT COULD BE VIEWD BY SOME READERS RANTING IN NATURE. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

On first thought, I figured I'd go with the Xbox One, since it will feature Halo and I have been happy with the 360. However, the news of a required internet connection, game sharing/used game restrictions, and the $500 price tag made me reconsider getting the Xbox One.

I'm not at all thrilled about the required internet connection, as the internet is spotty in my house and I don't always want to be playing online. Microsoft tried to sugarcoat it by saying that you only need to connect to the interent once every 24 hours, but not everyone has the ability to connect to the internet with their video game consoles to begin with. When presented with this dilemma, Microsoft reps said that the internetless among us should just get an Xbox 360. I don't understand why Microsoft would isolate their market in such a fashion, especially when the only real purpose to forcing gamers to connect to the internet is to see/restrict what the gamer plays.

Which leads into my second "qualm" about the Xbox One, they fact that they are placing restrictions on the used game market. I, for one, have purchased maybe half a dozen new games within the last 3 years, as I mostly rely on picking up used games at Gamestop or borrowing them from someone else. Microsoft says that it is possible to share games with your friends, if you jump through a whole lot of hoops and only share the game with certain individuals.

They are also placing further restrictions on the used game market, (something publishers have been attempting for a while now), making it difficult for users to buy/sell/trade/rent used games. Microsoft is pushing downloadable games over discs, but says that players will be able to trade in their Xbox One game disks at participating retailers only. I understand that publishers lose a lot of money in the used game market, but the fact that only Microsoft is implementing this policy will push more gamers away from Xbox One.

The $500 price tag is just icing on the cake of doom. Both the Xbox One and the PS4 contain identical gaming hardware made by the same company, both contain blu-ray disk drives, and both will feature many of the same game titles. However, the PS4 is $100 cheaper, doesn't require an internet connection, and does not place any restrictions on the used game market.(As stated by the Sony Developers)

To be fair, the Xbox One does have one theoretically cool feature allowing you to connect all your media through the Xbox to your TV. But most of their new features either cater to the extremely inpatient only, or are on the impractical side, such as the ability to browse the internet on the TV while watching a movie on the same screen.

I simply cannot see how the Xbox One will be able to compete with the PS4 given the information we have. There will be more news releases in the coming months about each system, and nobody can really make a final decision until both have been well tested in the open market, but as it stands I'm thinking that within the next few years, after I save up some dough, I will be the proud owner of a nice, shiny new PS4. I'm interested in your guys's thoughts on the next-gen gaming systems, or if you see anything new about either one, or if I'm missing something.

Now if you will excuse me, I gotta go figure out how I'm gonna fill out the last 100 points of my 900 point army for my battle this afternoon.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Next Gen Consoles

I voted for Ps4 for one main reason, Kingdom Hearts 3. I'm probably gonna wait for a price drop and I'm hoping for backwards compatibility with past Sony consoles.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I already don't play my PS3 enough. I'm hoping Dragon Age 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 are both on PS3, and if they aren't I'll have to reevaluate then. I play my N64 more than any other console nowadays.

So, neither PS4 or Xbox for me.
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Note that the price difference between the PS4 and Xbone boils down to the fact that all Xbones come with an always-on Kintect. The PS4 with camera will cost the same.
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:13 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Definitely the Xbox One for me, although I won't be purchasing it until well after launch. Here's the way I see things:

Pros:
  • I prefer the Microsoft exclusives (mainly Halo, but there are a few others)
  • As an Xbox 360 owner, switching to PS4 would mean losing all of my hard-earned achievements
  • I much prefer the feel of the Xbox controllers compared to the uncomfortable "boomerang" shaped Playstation controllers
  • Most of my friends are Xbox gamers
Cons:
  • Xbox One will cost $100 more than the PS4 (this isn't so bad when you factor in you are also getting a Kinect sensor with the Xbox One)
Neutral:
  • Xbox One must be connected online once per day (non-issue, I don't think I've ever had the internet down at my house for an entire day)
  • Restrictions on shared/used games (I purchase all of my games new)
  • Not backwards compatible (I'm not throwing away my 360, so I'll still be able to play my old games)
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

What happens if you can not connect to the internet for 24+ hours?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:16 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
What happens if you can not connect to the internet for 24+ hours?
It means you cannot play offline, until you can connect to the internet again. That alienates me since I've got spotty internet.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

:boggle: I can not even begin to understand why you would want to build that into a system. Has Microsoft given an explanation?

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
:boggle: I can not even begin to understand why you would want to build that into a system. Has Microsoft given an explanation?
The theory is that they want to be able to enforce the "game sharing restrictions", and the easiest way to do that is to lock you out of games you aren't "allowed" to play via internet. Microsoft's explanation is that they want to access what you play to gauge your interests so they can recommend new stuff for you.

Either way I'm not a fan....

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Scary.
You play the way we say.
Always remember gaming is not a right, it is a privilege.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nothing to see here, move along.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; June 19th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think the only real console choice is the non-console, PC.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games