Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM

Wheelockian is surprisingly tart
Permanent Boards?

Hi, Guys

Okay, so I've been coming to Heroscapers pretty much everyday for the last two years, content to just read all the great posts and admire the passion everyone here has for this incredible game that I too have fallen in love with. Thanks to all of you--it's been a wonderful experience and I've learned an incredible amount. So now I've finally decided to register and start adding my voice, starting with a rather mundane question.

I just bought some extra terrain (a couple ROTV set's worth) and am considering using at least some of it to make a permanent board. Though I've spent many wonderful hours putting maps together and enjoy that part of the game, I play mostly with my brother and many of those games are spur of the moment, pick-up games after a long day of work with only an hour or two to play. In other words, on many occasions, it would be nice to have a pre-made board to grab, throw a few trees and such on, and have at it.

I'm debating whether to create a two-player map (or maybe two!) that isn't too big but offers some nice variety for play or to create a bunch of modules--maybe eight 24-hex pieces, each with it's own terrain features--that I could quickly put together.

So here are my questions:

Have any of you done this? If so, has it been worth it? (Part of me wonders if this really is as much of a time-saver as I think it will be...but if it means we'll end up playing more 'Scape...)

If so, how have you gone about it? I'm thinking about super gluing the pieces together so the board could just hang on the wall and take up less space. Does this work well? Do you mount the whole board on a square of particle board or some such?

Single board vs. modules?

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you've had on this topic!

(I searched this topic a few different ways and couldn't find anything, but let me know if this has already been discussed...)
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Permanent Boards?

Rather than a single static board, if I am reading you right, which will lose it's flexibility, I'd suggest building a map that you like and keeping it build for a while, ready to go at a moment's notice.

You get the quick entry time, but you aren't stuck with a map that you might tire of.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Wheelockian is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Rather than a single static board, if I am reading you right, which will lose it's flexibility, I'd suggest building a map that you like and keeping it build for a while, ready to go at a moment's notice.

You get the quick entry time, but you aren't stuck with a map that you might tire of.
Part of the issue here is that I don't have a dedicated gaming table and limited space in general. It's the kitchen table, so leaving a board setup in that sense isn't practical (though it happens...)

I'm not as worried about tiring of it, since it's only for those occasions when we want to play, but don't have the energy to get the big box of terrain out and start digging around. As long as it's a board that allows for interesting play, it's okay.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Get a big piece of cardboard to put your maps on so you can move and store them.
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Get a big piece of cardboard to put your maps on so you can move and store them.
This. This is what I do to save setup time. I think it really is a crime to super-glue terrain together, because playing the same map WILL get old eventually.

Another idea could be go get some foam board, and exacto knife, and some markers and make your own map out of that stuff. You could glue that together, hang it on the wall, and slap some trees on when you feel like it. The foam board should be high enough to make height easily identifiable. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, this sounds like something I might try...
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have a little shelf near the top of my stairs which is a great spot to keep maps set up. Keeping one or two maps set up and on hand saves a lot of time, that's for sure.

You can go one step further and keep a couple of armies in tupperware tubs as well, so it's just one step to grab an army, and get rolling.

Heroscape is so versatile by its very nature, it seems a shame to glue the land pieces down into a static format, even in part. But if you are short on space, it might be an option.

Old July 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM

ranoobu is surprisingly tart

I was trying to figure out why you would want to superglue a map together and realized that maybe you want to put the map away vertically? That would be the only reason I could see that anyone would want to do that.

Otherwise, there's really no gain. I agree with leaving the game set up somewhere or on a transportable flat surface (foam board, cardboard, etc.).

Aeston's Before Heroscape - An interesting read for any Heroscape fan. I loved the final conclusion to the post as well lol

Good trades: SirGalahad
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM

goaliescaper is surprisingly tart

I personally keep map set up in my basement. (Though I do have a dedicated gaming table) And I change it up every so often. I think that you will want variety more than you realize as you play the map every so often. So I recommend that you do make a map and leave it up if you can store it but I do not recommend gluing anything to make it totally permanent.

He shoots... and the airborne elite drop just in time to save the goal!
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

I only super glued my hive and D&D set rock outcrops to the bases.I haven't done the basic terrian pieces.
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

I have never glued the maps together, but I am a big fan of using long-standing pre-made maps that are ready for play. It really saves on time and can still allow for large size map variety if done right. At one point I had 22 pre-made mades. I decided to go back to my early collection (before the Marvel Set, Jungle Set, and D&D) days and try to make a leave-assembled-mega-map in my game room over the last year, but it doesn't allow for transport, and it isn't friendly for quick storage and it overwhelming.

Here are links to some of my uses of pre-made boards and then some mega maps.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...highlight=maps

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Have you thought about using magnets or sticky-tack to hold your map together? You could build a semi-permanent map that could still be taken apart and reconfigured.

Last edited by MI_Tiger; July 25th, 2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site!

Do not glue your terrain together. You will live to regret it, believe me. If you're just looking to have a map that can be stored vertically, I'd suggest putting together a relatively flat map (nothing higher than five levels) with no trees or other obstacles (you can just throw those on when it's time to play). Build it on a sheet of balsa wood or cardboard and Saran Wrap the heck out of it, then hang the whole shebang up somewhere.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion