Dallas "Epic" Game Day (July 27) - *Photos start P15*

Quote:
When:
Sunday, July 27

Map set up @ 11AM
Epic battle @ 12PM
Pickup games @ anytime

Where:
Very near the I-635/75 interchange in Dallas. Address will be PMed the day before the event to those who are on the RSVP list in this thread.

Bring:
  • BYOBeverage (beer, soda, or otherwise)
  • $5 cash
  • Wound markers, D20, order markers.
  • Anything else you will need to play the pickup games you want to play (except the terrain and glyphs.)
  • Some people will also need to bring armies and terrain (you will know who you are.)

Parents of Under-21 Participants: Please note there will be alcoholic beverages at this event. Obviously, we will not be serving under age participants alcohol, but no one except you and your child shall be held responsible for your child's behavior.
This game day will consist of an Epic battle on a GIANT map, with pickup games going on all day, and a cookout too! See below for details on each.

The Venue
My apartment complex has a very nice clubhouse that is totally FREE to use. It has a party room, which contains:
  • pool table that converts to ping-pong table, i.e. GIANT map table, 26x52 hexes!
  • shuffleboard
  • 3 standard round tables with 4 chairs each (perfect for pick-up games)
  • 3 small bar-height tables and chairs (perfect for drinks and food)
  • open kitchen area with fridge, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, sink
  • 3 flat panel TVs
  • food is allowed (see Cookout below)
  • alcohol is technically not allowed, but everyone drinks there all the time and the office does not care!
There are other parts of the clubhouse that contain living room furniture setups with chairs and coffee tables (could be used for pick-up games if the party room tables are full).

Cookout w/ BYOB
The clubhouse adjoins to the pool, and they just installed a shaded pool cabana that contains 2 very nice stainless steel propane grills and ice chests. I will buy and prep all the food and then we just need to grill the burgers. I might need to be tending to the Epic game throughout the day, but I'm assuming there's enough guys coming that someone will want the chance to grill on these nice grills?

Here's the final menu:
-funrun's handmade speciality hamburgers with cheese
-buns, mayo, ketchup, yellow mustard, dill pickles spears
-Lays potato chips
-bell peppers and cucumbers
-Bacon N Cheese dip (for the veggies and chips)
-funrun's homemade strawberry trifle (takes like strawberry cream pie and strawberry shortcake)

$5 each covers each person for a 1/3+ pound hamburger and everything listed above. This also covers, plates, spoons, and napkins. All drinks are NOT included, it's BYOB.

You just need to bring:
-Your own beverage (beer, soda, or otherwise)
-$5 for the food

The GIANT map
If you have never played on a HS map created on a pool table, then you are missing out! This pool table converts to a ping pong table, so we will have one nice big flat surface for a map 26x52 hexes! We will make a map akin to the huge ones used for display at Gencon.

I personally played on this one that was thrown together in about an hour:

Final Map Description
Our GIANT map will be set up with different types of terrain abutting into each other, and each type of terrain will constitute the battleground for each Battle/game. Imagine a rectangle from one far side to the other:
  • Battleground 1: Water filters together with swamp water to cover old roads and create pathways where you can walk through the water on swamp or road and not have to stop much for water. A treacherous (at host's discretion ) main road winds through the middle of the Battleground with a bridge to go over the water. Short walls line the shores of the water to hold the swamp land back for Battleground 2.
  • Battleground 2: A swampy jungle with a Marro hive, jungle trees, bushes, and regular trees. The treacherous main road continues to wind through the middle of the jungle.
  • Battleground 3: The main road dead-ends at the base of a steep mountainous cliff, which, from a bird’s eye view, has an overall concave shape, such that figures climbing up the walls can shoot across to the other side of the mountain. Dangling ladders and battlements on precipices will help create a Pass of Cirith Ungol style.
  • Battleground 4: On top of the steep mountain, a large broken castle lays in center of ice, snow, and glaciers. In the center of the castle area, ruin walls show where old rooms once stood.

The Epic Game
Overview
This event will be a campaign style epic war with 4 Battles fought one after another on separate Battlegrounds, which will be distinguished by 4 different types of terrain linked into one GIANT map. Players will be split into two teams, with 2 people from each team fighting in each Battle. All 4 Battles build upon the previous ones to culminate in a final epic Battle that will decide which team ultimately wins.

Team Selection
On the day of the event, all players will select/ volunteer two people to be a team General. The two Generals will then draft other players to be their Lieutenants, and then assign two Lieutenants to each of three Battles (for a total of 4 players per Battle). The final epic Battle #4 will be fought by the team General and one Lieutenant.

Campaign Backstory
In the rugged mountains of Upper Bleakwoode, two enemy Generals have ordered all their Lieutenants to bring armies in from lands afar to help fight for the strategic mountaintop ruins of Castle Jökull. After weeks of brutal fighting, neither army is gaining the upper hand. Then one night, both Generals see the same vision:
Quote:
The Valkyrie Generals of Old once found themselves in this same war scenario! On the verge of a stalemate, both Generals ordered their Lieutenants to gather their secret weapons- Glyphs of Power. The Lieutenants were to secretly transport these weapons over the sea, through the swampy jungle, up the mountainous ladders, all the way to the walls of Castle Jökul , where their Generals awaited these coveted reinforcements. Alas, one by one, each Lieutenant fell to enemy fire en route to the castle. As death approached, these loyal soldiers each buried their General’s precious weapons, ensuring their killers would never know what good fortunes they could have had. And thus, the Battle for Castle Jökul ended in a stalemate of death, and the Glyphs of Power were lost to history.
If this vision is true, then the Glyphs of Power are still buried in these lands!

Battles 1, 2, and 3
Each General has sent out six Lieutenants with an army of terrain experts to uncover as many Glyphs of Power as possible. Time is of the essence though; whichever army returns to their transfer post first will give their fellow Lieutenants several advantages in the next hunt!

Goal: Find as many Glyphs of Power as you can. Be the first team to transfer at least one Glyph of Power into the next Battleground. Destroy all of your opponent’s army to ensure none of their glyphs transfer from this Battle to their General.

Setup: All armies for all Battles will be set up on the map before any games begin. In Battles 1-3, the location of five glyphs will be marked on a secret map kept by the Host.

Special Rules:
  • Figures may not enter the next Battleground until their team has found at least one Glyph of Power.
  • Figures will be removed from the Battlegrounds when their Battle ends; however, any remaining Glyphs of Power will remain on the Battleground for units in later Battles to discover.
  • When a figure encounters a hidden trap or surprise attack (as determined by the host), that figure must stop movement for the remainder of that turn and immediately defend against the surprise. After defending, that player may continue their turn as normal, first moving any other squad figures that had not yet moved, and then attacking as normal. The figure that defended the surprise does not get to continue movement.
  • When a figure enters a hidden buried glyph space, the Host will give that team the random Glyph of Power they have found. The figure who found the glyph does not have to stop movement at that space. The uncovered glyphs’ powers do not affect the armies in Battles 1, 2, or 3. Each army’s General will collect their glyphs in a secret pool, to be activated only during the final Battle #4. Do not tell your enemy which glyphs your team has found!

Quote:
Battle 1
Setup: Battle 1 will be over the watery swamp area with bridge and road. The starting zones will separated only by a narrow road running down the middle of the Battleground.

Armies:
Army 1 =430
⁃ Venoc Vipers x2=80
⁃ Armoc Vipers x2=130
⁃ Elite Onyx Vipers x1=100
⁃ Venoc Warlord x1=120

Army 2 =460
⁃ Knights of Weston x3=210
⁃ Sir Denrick x1=100
⁃ Sir Dupuis x1=150

Army A =440
⁃ Arrow Gruts x2=80
⁃ Heavy Gruts x2=140
⁃ Krug x1=120
⁃ Tornak x1=100

Army B =450
⁃ Micorcorp x4=400
⁃ Marro Warriors x1=50

Special Rules: No figure from your army may enter a swamp land space in Battleground 2 until at least one glyph has been found by your army. Any figures standing on a swamp land space may attack the opponent’s army in Battle 2 (in addition to the opponent’s army in Battle 1.) Units in Battle 2 may defend, but cannot attack during Battle 1.

Victory: By the end of Round 6, find at least one glyph and have at least one figure from your army standing on a swamp land space in order to transfer all of your glyphs. Or destroy all your opponent’s figures to prevent them from transferring any glyphs.
Quote:
Battle 2
Setup: Battle 2 will be in the swampy jungle area with a Marro hive. Armies will start in opposite areas of the map, under the cover of foliage, near the waters of Battleground 1.

Armies:
Army 3 =455
⁃ Jorhdawn x1=100
⁃ Zelrig x1=185
⁃ Chardris x1=90
⁃ Emirroon x1=80

Army 4 =465
⁃ Marro Drudge x3=150
⁃ Marro Stingers x2=120
⁃ Marro Nagrubs x2=60
⁃ WoSaGa x1=135

Army C =465
⁃ Sujohah x1=185
⁃ spiders x4=465
⁃ Nakitas x1=120

Army D =450
⁃ Tor-Kul-Na x1=220
⁃ Marro Drones x3=150
⁃ Blade Gruts x2=80

Special Rules: First initiative is determined by whichever team from the previous Battle was first to reach this Battleground with a glyph. Teammates roll a D20 to determine which Lieutenant goes first, then play continues clockwise. No figure from your army may enter a rock space in Battleground 3 until at least one glyph has been found by your army. Any figures standing on a rock space may attack the opponent’s army in Battle 3 (in addition to the opponent’s army in Battle 2.) Units in Battle 3 may defend, but cannot attack during Battle 2.

Victory: By the end of Round 6, find at least one glyph and have at least one figure from your army standing on a rock space in order to transfer all of your glyphs. Or destroy all your opponent’s figures to prevent them from transferring any glyphs.
Quote:
Battle 3
Setup: Battle 3 will be up the sides of a concave mountainous cliff with stair steps and ladders. Armies will start on opposite sides of the map at the base of the cliff, near the edge of Battleground 2.

Armies:
Army 5 =420
⁃ Agent Carr x1=100
⁃ Sgt Drake x1=110
⁃ Sonlen x1=160
⁃ Tarn Vikings x1=50

Army 6 =450
⁃ Deadeye Dan x1=60
⁃ Johnny Shotgun x1=65
⁃ Guilty x1=30
⁃ James Murphey x1=75
⁃ Sentinels x2=220

Army E =450
⁃ Syvarris x1=100
⁃ Zetian x1=70
⁃ Aubrien Archers x4=280

Army F =420
⁃ Shaolin Monks x2=160
⁃ Master Win Chiu Woo x1=140
⁃ Kaemon x1=120

Special Rules: First initiative is determined by whichever team from the previous Battle was first to reach this Battleground with a glyph. Teammates roll a D20 to determine which Lieutenant goes first, then play continues clockwise. No figure from your army may enter a snow or ice space in Battleground 4 until at least one glyph has been found by your army. Any figures standing on a snow or ice space may attack the opponent’s army in Battle 4 (in addition to the opponent’s army in Battle 3.) Units in Battle 4 may defend, but cannot attack during Battle 3.

Victory: By the end of Round 6, find at least one glyph and have at least one figure from your army standing on a snow or ice space in order to transfer all of your glyphs. Or destroy all your opponent’s figures to prevent them from transferring any glyphs.
Quote:
Final Epic Battle 4
The generals await to see what special weapons their scouts have found for them. Then, the most epic Battle of All Time begins!

Setup: Battle 4 will be on snow and ice with castle and ruins in the center, surrounded by glaciers. Armies will start on opposite sides of the map with the castle in between them.

Armies:
Army 7 =440
⁃ Q9 x1=180
⁃ Raelin x1=80
⁃ Krav x1=100
⁃ Rats x2=80

Army 8 =470
⁃ Braxas x1=210
⁃ Q10 x1=150
⁃ Laglor x1=180

Army G =465
⁃ Cyprien x1=150
⁃ Sonya x1=45
⁃ Isamu x1=10
⁃ AE x1=110
⁃ Mimring x1= 150

Army H =455
⁃ Nilfheim x1=185
⁃ Charos x1=210
⁃ Izumi x1=60

Special Rules: First initiative is determined by whichever team from the previous Battle was first to reach this Battleground with a glyph. Teammates roll a D20 to determine which teammate goes first, then play continues clockwise. There are no hidden glyphs in this Battle. All Glyphs of Power collected in previous Battles will be given to the General’s for use in this Battle. These glyph powers are not shown to the opponent’s army until the first time the General chooses to activate its power. Only the General can activate glyphs (not his Lieutenant). Only one glyph can be activated per turn of either the General and/or his Lieutenant. At the time of initial activation, the glyph is flipped over for all to see and remains revealed and in affect for the remainder of the game (unless the glyph's natural powers dictate otherwise). "Friendly" rules apply to the glyphs wherever normally applicable, however glyphs cannot negatively affect your own army (ex. Mitonsoul is rolled only for the opponent’s army.)

Victory: Destroy all your opponent’s figures. (This also determines which TEAM wins the campaign!)
Disclaimer: The Host reserves the right to modify the rules and armies at any time, in the interest of keeping the games balanced, fair, and fun.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.

Last edited by funrun; August 8th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: updated info
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Dallas Game Day on one GIANT Map

I'm interested. Sundays only for me unless I have several months advanced notice.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker

Does it count if I wanted to go but couldn't? :P

In all seriousness though, I would be willing to make a custom center piece for the map as a prize if it helps.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart

Forgot to mention, I need someone with a huge collection of HS terrain to bring their terrain and help me make the map that day.

It wouldn't be very good to have more than one person's terrain mixed in this giant map.

CA, thank you for the generous offer. It would be cool to have a custom centerpiece for everyone to play on. However I wasn't thinking of making this a tourney where there would be a winner to get a prize, hence why I called this event a "Game day" . Of course though if you want to make a custom terrain piece and ship it out here, I'm sure we could find it a proper home.

funrun's HS Repaints
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would be interested and, as I'm usually the wheels for Rodriquez, I'm sure he'll come too. (Plus he has a huge amount of terrrain). I'd say pick a Sunday so GB can come.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

If I could, I'd drive right on down to join you all! That's an excellent idea for an epic battle.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
I would be interested and, as I'm usually the wheels for Rodriquez, I'm sure he'll come too. (Plus he has a huge amount of terrrain). I'd say pick a Sunday so GB can come.
true
depends on day also but I shouldna have aproblem getting out there, Terrain? what's that? I dunno this word Terrain...
hahahaha

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Depending on the date (a Sunday I hope), I may be able to supply terrain.

I have roughly 10 rotv, 5 sotm, and 6 or so of all the terrain expansions.

It's all fairly easy to move and fits in my min-van.

I know that NinthDoc and Rodriquez each easily have double what I have, so if they want to step up and be the terrain guy, that is fine with me.

I like the way Craig described running his big map games where two teams of 2 fought over 7 hex objectives. I especially liked the way reinforcement cards could be passed to a friendly team and players were able to shoot at opponents across the table--under the watchful eye of a nonparticipating judge type.

Here's the link to the Designer's corner article I am referring to:

http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-game...nity/Designers

I think this sounds like a really fun time. And drinking beer is good too!
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation

umm last count and I dunno if this is accurate or not:

14-16(maybe more) MS
5-7 sotm
7 Marvel
10 vs, 10 castle, 10 Rttff, 7 tundra, 9 Jungle....
plus bunch of asst. from fiq packs...

terrain? is that enough?

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLivingston View Post

I like the way Craig described running his big map games where two teams of 2 fought over 7 hex objectives. I especially liked the way reinforcement cards could be passed to a friendly team and players were able to shoot at opponents across the table--under the watchful eye of a nonparticipating judge type.

Here's the link to the Designer's corner article I am referring to:

http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-game...nity/Designers

I think this sounds like a really fun time. And drinking beer is good too!
WOW! Taelord's Coliseum looks like a blast! Oo Oo, can I design the coliseum??
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM

Strange has disabled reputation

Let's do it! Sounds amazing. Of course, I'm still upset that I couldn't make it to the DFW tourney on Saturday... but I absolutely could not miss something this epic.

Whatever does not kill me has made a tactical error.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart

Wow, thank you so much for that article link! It gives me LOTS of ideas!!! I like the idea of me hosting and not playing, except for those surprise attacks (that definitely won't be zombies coming out of the woods ). I'll write up a scenario and map description and give it out in advance to those who are confirmed to play. People would have to bring their own army figures and bits, but I could easily write up legion armies to fit the map scenario I create.

I'm glad to know there are a few offers of terrain. I think I will have to figure out what kind of map I need to build before I know what terrain we will need. We will probably need 1 person to bring the big map terrain, and 1 person to bring terrain for pick up games.

A Sunday is looking like a winner.

P.S. I updated the first post with a more accurate description of the party room amenities (I just checked it out in person last night).

funrun's HS Repaints

Last edited by funrun; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events