Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old October 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM

songbird Woo who?
Songbird customs: Batman

OK, here is my first stab at a Heroscape custom. Now for some backstory.

My oldest son and I attended http://gamersreunion.com last month here in MN, and in one of our goodie bags we got a Batman HeroClix figure. We don't play HeroClix, but we do have Marvel Heroscape and thought it would be fun to use the Batman figure as well.

I looked over a couple of Batman customs others had done, and found some really cool ideas, but none of them were quite what we had in mind. So, without further ado (and of course with no playtest yet -- maybe later today!), here it is:

It turns out that this version of Batman has very similar abilities to Spider-man. However, I thought the normal ranged attack (which would be his Batarang) and the DK Assault ability make him more valuable than Spider-man, even though Spider-man is better in a couple of small ways.

Couple thoughts on possible changes:

1. Tie Vanish into Grapple Line, similar to Spidey-Sense and Swing Line.
2. Instead of Vanish, give him Stealth Dodge ala the Krav Maga. This would mean he can't auto-dodge adjacent attacks, but would be almost impossible to hit with ranged attacks (which sounds kind of like Batman, right?). Would 5 Def be too powerful for Stealth Dodge?

Feedback is most welcome!

Carl
Quest Machine - makers of Heroes Incorporated!
http://questmachine.com
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Songbird customs: Batman

No, I don't think that 5 defence is too powerful for Stealth Dodge. With 5 defence and SD, Batsy will be able to get up close and personal with enemy figures so he can use DK assault(Heh, that abbreviation sounds like an attack that would be used by a certain necktie-wearing gorrila), which is how I always picture Batsy being able to do in Heroscape.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I see you found a use for GreyOwl's templates. Good for you!

Anyway, I think this is a great first effort. I think you could give Batman a version of Stealth Dodge a bit different from the Kravs, especially if you don't want it to be unbalanced with his Defense of 5. You could make it work against all normal attacks (both adjacent and non-adjacent), but vulnerable against special attacks, which generally roll fewer attack dice than normal attacks. Just a thought.

A couple of corrections:

1) If you keep Grapple Line, yours should be called Grapple Line 4, not 3, since you gave it a Move of 4.

2) In superhero customs the capes are considered hitzones. That way you avoid the problem of a character who can't be targeted because he/she's walking backwards towards the opponent.
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Awww!! You got a Batman Heroclix? And a good one, to boot! I got a Starwars mini. Nice custom though!!
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I thinkn it is just personal taste whether you would want to go with Stealth Dodge or Vanish, both can work well you just need to decide how you want your batman to feel when you play with him.

Good luck, and great first custom!

Old October 26th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Imo, I think you should really add stealth dodge! It would make it different than spiderman at least. I can picture batman running along, bullets hitting the wall behind him... However, the Dark Knight assult might have to go, because getting close would be too easy, and it's really powerful.
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM

songbird Woo who?

Thanks for all the feedback, and Sherman, thanks for pointing some errors I made on the card.

We playtested Batman in a regular Heroscape battle yesterday. Spider-man was the only other Marvel figure, the rest were normal Heroscape. Vanish failed on him a couple of times, and even with 5 defense he sometimes took 2-3 wounds damage from a single attack. He actually didn't last that long, and only took out a couple of squad figures.

So, from this first playtest, I don't think Assault is that strong. SotM Raelin has Whirlwind attack, and the Monks have Shaolin Assault. Even with 4 Att it didn't do that much damage.

I do think that Stealth Dodge against all ranged attacks might be more appropriate. That way he would be very hard to hit with range (just like Sgt Drake), but he can't vanish against adjacent attacks. He could still use Grapple Line to disengage without taking engagement attacks.

Carl
Quest Machine - makers of Heroes Incorporated!
http://questmachine.com
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Awesome. Good to hear you filled a niche!
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Monk has disabled reputation
Batman

Hey , that's a cool clix figure and you did a good job on the card.
I noticed sherman davies already caught the grapple line difference..
Batman is an interesting character, really tough, Didn't he once beat
Superman ?(in the comics). I was thinking if you shortened the Grapple
line segment you could give him Counterstrike (when his vanish fails him)
Just a thought ( I think he deserves it)..Good job
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Monk has disabled reputation
Batman

You did a good job. Just a thought, if you shortened the Grapple line segment, you could give him Counterstrike. ( I think Batman deserves it).
In the comics didn't he once beat up Superman ?
Sorry about the double post, Computer is acting up.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations