Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 26th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

@TREX , that's a good idea with regards to playing The Walking Dead with the Warsenal terrain. I hadn't thought of that .

That could be fun with regards to Frostgrave. I'm getting the Perilous Dark, the solo and co-op rule supplement. The only problem is that it isn't meant to be used for the previous campaigns, as there can't be an opposing wizard and apprentice because of the spell choices and such would be too hard. So maybe your way would be the best way to solo those campaigns.

I've been thinking about picking up the Breeding Pits supplement, as it's really inexpensive now. It has traps rules and dungeon rules that could be fun.

I may have to solo Ghost Archipelago in the manner you are talking about. Definitely want to get it played.

I have Maze of Malcor and the Wizard's Conclave, which had a couple solo scenarios. Still have to try those.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:25 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
@TREX , that's a good idea with regards to playing The Walking Dead with the Warsenal terrain. I hadn't thought of that .

That could be fun with regards to Frostgrave. I'm getting the Perilous Dark, the solo and co-op rule supplement. The only problem is that it isn't meant to be used for the previous campaigns, as there can't be an opposing wizard and apprentice because of the spell choices and such would be too hard. So maybe your way would be the best way to solo those campaigns.

I've been thinking about picking up the Breeding Pits supplement, as it's really inexpensive now. It has traps rules and dungeon rules that could be fun.

I may have to solo Ghost Archipelago in the manner you are talking about. Definitely want to get it played.

I have Maze of Malcor and the Wizard's Conclave, which had a couple solo scenarios. Still have to try those.
I have all the supplement books for frostgrave and GA now. I dont have any of the novels though. I have spellcaster books 1-3 as well. Im going to probably run through them all using the alternate xp rules in maze of malcor. Im thinking if there is a monster based warband of the equal amount of characters of about 10 models.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 26th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:

I have all the supplement books for frostgrave and GA now. I dont have any of the novels though. I have spellcaster books 1-3 as well. Im going to probably run through them all using the alternate xp rules in maze of malcor. Im thinking if there is a monster based warband of the equal amount of characters of about 10 models.
That sounds fun. And you can tweak it if it's too easy or hard, and use tougher monsters as the wizard gains experience.

I have most of the novels and have enjoyed them. I have Second Chances, Oathgold, Destiny's Call and Tales of the Lost Isles (which is a collection of short stories). Also have a couple of the Spellcaster magazines.

Old September 27th, 2019, 01:04 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

So I revisited the Maze of Malcor book last night and also skimmed through the wizards conclave. The official take on xp from creatures is 5xp on non warband creatures unless the scenario specifies differently for specific creatures. I forgot how much I liked the rule change list in maze of malcor. Alot of fun stuff there. I will also be pocking up perilous dark when it comes out. For anyone else out there wondering what each book brings to the table in frostgrave. Ill list them in the order of importance in my opinion:
Frostgrave, core book- must have to play the game. It has the base rules. It has a roster of wizard types, spells, warband members, scenarios, and some fun treasure tables. Also has a beastiary for random monsters to face.
Folio: has rules for captains, has multiple sets of scenarios and some additional warband types.
Maze of malcor: has some alternate rules that I think are a great value that improve on the core book. Has some scenarios and added beastiary units.
The rest of these are equal in fun value and what they bring.
Breeding pits: has some new warband member types, introduces dungeon layouts, has some additional scenarios, and additional beastiary creatures, special items
Lich lord: a fun group of scenarios, new unit types, special items, beastiary creatures.
Forgotten pacts: new warband unit types, emphasis on forging pacts with demons for additional powers/consequences. Expands demon types and extra stats for different demons. Adds new scenarios and beastiary creatures.
Wizards Conclave: its a big book of scenarios by a bunch of different designers and has a group of coop scenarios in it as well.
Spellcaster issue 1- has rules for black powder weapons, some fun knight orders and a couple scenarios
Spellcaster issue 2- rules for dragons and scenarios for types of dragon stuff is the big part of it. Very good issue.
Spellcaster issue 3- rangifier warband details, and some scenarios are the highlight here. Not sure if Im missing any at the moment. For their price they are worth it if you like frostgrave.

Old September 27th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Nice breakdown @TREX .

I have just ordered The Breeding Pits supplement, for just under $9 from Amazon. Added it to an order of a 4 pack of Testor's Dullcote. Should last me a while for sealing minis. I had bought 3 of them at Hobby Lobby a month or so ago, but aside from some minis, I used the heck out of them on the Warsenal terrain I had been working on and the downed AT-ST.

After I get the Breeding Pits in the mail, I'll have all the supplements except for Forgotten Pacts.

As far as the Spellcaster magazines, I have #1 and #4.

#1 is really neat, as it has a solo scenario for a single Captain type character. I had played it and I believe posted pictures here. As you mentioned, it also has some Knightly Orders, where a knight may be more specialized but also have a lesser stat to balance out the specialized boost. I actually did this for my knight in Rangers of Shadow Deep. A knight normally have a fight of +4. The order I have has his fight reduced to +3, but it's +5 vs undead.

In Spellcaster #4, it has Legendary Soldiers you can hire in your warband. The number of them you can have in your warband is limited by the level of your wizard. Level 0-9, 1 Legendary Soldier. Level 10-19, 2 Legendary Soldiers etc. The Legendary Soldiers are; Bookhound, Dire Hound, Elemental Archer, Grave Robber, Shadow Walker, Telekinetic and Whip Master. Each of them cost 300gc, except the Dire Hound is 200gc.

There is also a really cool list of critical rolls for the spells. So if you roll a natural 20 for casting a spell it's a critical success. If you roll a 1, then it's a critical failure. So each spell, Joe has the extra effects for both the critical success and a critical failure. Nice extra touch.

It also has a solo/co-op scenario for Ghost Archipelago, as well as some Ulterior Motives cards for Ghost Archipelago.

Finally, it has a scenario called Fury of the Frost Giants. It's meant for 4 or more players with wizards of at least level 10.

Yes, I like the updated rules in Maze of Malcor. The XP'S for Frostgrave and monsters are pretty basic. The XP rewards for Rangers of Shadow Deep is quite different as each creature has its own XP value. Also have a lot more XP rewards for different accomplishments. But it's also a narrative game where the scenarios connect for a story.

There's going to be a 2nd edition of the main rulebook next year.

I'm going to start painting my Super Mutant Hounds for Fallout Wasteland Warfare tomorrow morning. I have 4 of them and after they are done, I want to keep working on the Super Mutant faction for a while. I have a decent amount of Survivors painted (but have a lot more to do), so I want to be able to get some solo games played. Will eventually get to the Brotherhood of Steel faction. Will also have to get back to Legion troops too. I want to concentrate on getting minis painted before winter, then I can concentrate on playing more in the winter.

Old September 27th, 2019, 05:20 PM
"like" happy

Awesome. Looks like Ill be getting spellcaster issue 4. Ill for sure get the Frostgrave 2.0 because Joe said it would still be usable with all the supplement books. I love the look of the super mutants, I should just paint my core set. The model count isnt too high. Im almost finished with my five legion rancors and Im also working on getting my shore troopers and taun taun riders done. Then Ill be caught up with legion again. I may start up a bunch of zombicide minis. I also want to get this stuff done before winter so I can play some painted games. Im going to do a solo game binge. I have a stack of them calling my name. You and I both know how big of a pain priming and sealing stuff in the winter time can be. My wife wants to kill me every winter for that alone.

Old September 29th, 2019, 05:30 PM
"like" happy

Well. Ive been on the fence about it. Been revisiting it. I finally pulled the trigger. I picked up two core boxes of the runewars miniatures game. The minis look pretty awesome. Im addicted to buying miniatures that look cool, so that part fit as well. What sealed the deal was the value in the box. The core set has an undead faction and a human faction. The melee skeletons are armored and look to be a perfect fit for both frostgrave and a proxy for the skeletons of annilita from c3v heroscape. The skeleton archers could be skeleton archers for c3v heroscape or add to the ranks of my zombicide deadeye walkers along with also being great for frostgrave. There are also knights and spearmen along with some great golems and a cool skeleton riding a giant worm beast thing. Amazon has most all of the sets on a great deal so I will most likely buy boosters for it. They look fun to paint and the game they come with looks pretty decent too. I already have the grassland mat that is for that game as well. Overall Im crazy for buying more plastic but I just couldnt help myself. Anyone else buy runewars minis? The models look great and they seem a perfect fit scale wise.

Old September 30th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Prickly Cactus

Plastic crack

I don't have Runewars.

Old September 30th, 2019, 04:13 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Plastic crack

I don't have Runewars.
My wife said, you dont have enough already? Then I used the classic line she has in the past. "But, they were on sale, do you know how much money I saved."

They were on 1 day free shipping on amazon. Ill let you guys know how they look compared to scape figures and others. I really shouldve just bought a booster to check that out but I did a bit of research. Oddly enough, besides the slightly large army men sized skeletons I bought I dont really have too many skeleton figures. Tons of zombies but not skeletons. I should have more than enough now. Ive just got to figure out what colors I want to paint the army. Plastic Crack indeed.

Old October 1st, 2019, 06:56 AM
Prickly Cactus

Not good lighting to show off the variations of green in the skin tones and the weathered/rust in the armor, but I finally finished the 3 Super Mutants and 2 Mutant Hounds from the Fallout Wasteland Warfare 2 player starter set, plus 2 more Mutant Hounds from the Super Mutant core set that has 5 more Super Mutants in it I've gotten primed and ready to paint

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:20 AM
"like" happy

Wow, those look sweet. I loved playing fallout 4 on the PS4. I played enough to have been awarded all the playstation trophies for it minus any expansions trophies. So not as many hours dumped into it as Skyrim but still too many. Very cool looking. Im almost caught back up with star wars legion painting then I get to jump into another project. I thought Id want to paint the shore troopers and Taun Tauns more than I do but maybe Im a little burned out on painting star wars. Getting bored painting a bunch of humans usually gets cured by painting up a few funky colored monsters to cleanse the pallet.

Old October 2nd, 2019, 09:22 AM
Prickly Cactus

Thanks @TREX , these were fun to paint. Since I already have some survivors painted, I may try to play a solo game of Fallout this weekend.

I hear you about getting burned out of painting humans sometimes. So it's good to mix things up on occasion by painting monsters, animals, humanoids, scatter terrain and bigger terrain pieces. It's nice to have a rotation of subjects to help keep from getting burned out, but you also get more stuff done for a variety of uses.

I had forced myself to finally finish the Warsenal terrain because it was sitting in a box for over a year with only a little bit painted. That gave me a break from painting minis. Now I'm back painting minis, and have gained a lot more finished terrain to use for several games. I think it's healthy to rotate hobby subjects so you don't feel like something is a chore because it's all you're doing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures