Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old October 26th, 2016, 12:13 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Major Q10

I just play that figures can see all around them. Though I have read that officially Q9 cannot, which I think would mean technically Q10, and possibly Krug and more big figured, cannot.

I don't usually play super competitively though.

Oh, I just actually read R˙chean's post, that makes sense.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; October 26th, 2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:36 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@R˙chean Thanks for your input, and I apologize for making more of your comment than it was and not realizing that post was before the rules team even existed. That FAQ quote on "facing" does make it a lot simpler - basically the double-spaced figure has to face who they attack, even if out of periphery it cannot be behind if their had or body blocks. Again, it really only affects multiple attackers with range that need line of sight/clear sight such as Q9/Q10, Nilfheim, and a Moltenclaw
Old April 19th, 2018, 09:45 AM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

This came up again recently - I may be an a$$ for asking it, but can Q9/Q10 use a special attacks to shoot both in front of and behind them, where the figure's eyes cannot see the figure since a figure is behind him (so the head itself blocks LOS using the "get behind" terminology in the rulebook) and double-space figures cannot flip during attack phase (the best they can do is "shift" on the spaces it is on)? From the FAQ quote above by @R˙chean "With double-space figures, facing does matter" it seems the answer is no, but everyone seems to agree this is being too much of a stickler and against the spirit of the rules, even in tournaments.

If I am correct, using the head instead of the eyes as a target point is one of the most abused rules as no one seems to care (including myself most of the time). Nilfheim, Moltenclaw, and other dragons were even erratad to allow their horns as alternative target points in addition to head, specifically for this rule. Maybe we need an "errata" for Q9/Q10 that says you can use any part of the head as a target point, but until then I will start being a stickler, especially since I always play against Q9/Q10, rarely with.
Old April 19th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
This came up again recently - I may be an a$$ for asking it, but can Q9/Q10 use a special attacks to shoot both in front of and behind them, where the figure's eyes cannot see the figure since a figure is behind him (so the head itself blocks LOS using the "get behind" terminology in the rulebook) and double-space figures cannot flip during attack phase (the best they can do is "shift" on the spaces it is on)? From the FAQ quote above by @R˙chean "With double-space figures, facing does matter" it seems the answer is no, but everyone seems to agree this is being too much of a stickler and against the spirit of the rules, even in tournaments.

If I am correct, using the head instead of the eyes as a target point is one of the most abused rules as no one seems to care (including myself most of the time). Nilfheim, Moltenclaw, and other dragons were even erratad to allow their horns as alternative target points in addition to head, specifically for this rule. Maybe we need an "errata" for Q9/Q10 that says you can use any part of the head as a target point, but until then I will start being a stickler, especially since I always play against Q9/Q10, rarely with.
It's a great (but unfortunate) question to ask again. Even in Gen Con events, it seems to me that the standard way of doing things is to look from the top of Q10's head where his eyes would be -- if they were on the back of his head.

For the sake of casual play, I wish double-spaced figures were allowed to flip throughout their attack phase. It would make them comparable to single-spaced figures who get to rotate at any point during the player's turn, and it would make this issue a little less sticky, IMO.

(...where I am defining "sticky" as a situation when a rule is frequently broken even in tournament play, and few seem to care or think the rule is in the spirit of the game.)

Last edited by Mr Migraine; April 19th, 2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: edited to include your edit
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:25 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I always thought you can draw line of sight through the figure's head (through the target point of course), but once it goes through any other part of the figure (its back, for example), it's an invalid sight line.
Old April 19th, 2018, 11:29 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I still stand by my last post, and now refuse to edit the word figured into figures. It has officially been grandfathered in.

Anyways, I thought a couple pictures could either help this conversation reach an end, or spiral out of control further; both of which would be good, right?

Given the following situation, where Q10 wants to face that way because there's a figure over there (apparently off the board) that he really wants to shoot. Now, which of these Rats can he shoot, if either.

The bottom one, as is somewhat clear in the picture, cannot be seen from Q10's head, so there is no way he can shoot it unless he turned around (which he cannot do during his attack phase).

The top one, as you can see in this next picture, can be seen from his head, though the space between his shoulder and his back-hump, and thus can be attacked?

Let the nitpicking begin!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 19th, 2018, 12:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think you're playing it right. He can shoot the high rat but not the low rat.
Old April 19th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

The answer, of course, is to turn Q10 around anyway. The game is about having fun, and if you want to shoot at the rats, go for it.

There’s also a rule about leaving minis alone when it’s not your turn and yet CVN was cool with helping his opponent get into engagement on a chokepoint.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

From the FAQ, pg11:

Major Q9
“Raknar’s Vision”
Can Major Q9‟s shoulder pads block his own line of sight?
Yes. When checking to see if you have a clear line of sight with Q9, you may want to look behind the targeted figure’s Hit Zone to see if you can see Q9’s head, or the side of his face. He cannot fire directly behind himself.

Pretty clear for Q9. Still digging for info for Q10.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Deleted.

Last edited by OEAO; April 19th, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old July 25th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
I still stand by my last post, and now refuse to edit the word figured into figures. It has officially been grandfathered in.

Anyways, I thought a couple pictures could either help this conversation reach an end, or spiral out of control further; both of which would be good, right?

Given the following situation, where Q10 wants to face that way because there's a figure over there (apparently off the board) that he really wants to shoot. Now, which of these Rats can he shoot, if either.

The bottom one, as is somewhat clear in the picture, cannot be seen from Q10's head, so there is no way he can shoot it unless he turned around (which he cannot do during his attack phase).

The top one, as you can see in this next picture, can be seen from his head, though the space between his shoulder and his back-hump, and thus can be attacked?

Let the nitpicking begin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Page 5:
Attacks
If a single space figure is not facing another figure that he is attacking, does he have line of sight?
... With double-space figures, facing does matter, as certain areas of the body may block Line of Sight. Remember that you can flip your figure anytime during a double-space figures move, so keep Line of Sight in mind when you are moving.

Page 11:
Major Q9
“Raknar’s Vision”
Can Major Q9‟s shoulder pads block his own line of sight?
Yes. When checking to see if you have a clear line of sight with Q9, you may want to look behind the targeted figure’s Hit Zone to see if you can see Q9’s head, or the side of his face. He cannot fire directly behind himself. (Hasbro FAQ)
This Q9 FAQ is confusing because the first part of it "see if you can see Q9’s head, or the side of his face" seems to contradict with "He cannot fire directly behind himself" as the first statement seems to imply that you can fire behind yourself, but the Attack FAQ + the Errata for Dragons using their horns make it pretty clear that you cannot see through your own head. Anyway I would love a clarification as I feel like an A$$ telling someone playing Q9/Q10 you can't shoot in front of AND behind you on the same turn when EVERYONE plays otherwise even though IMHO that is the rule.
Old July 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

Look at Q9's sculpt. He doesn't exactly have a back of his head. That's why he (and Q10) can't attack behind them. You need line of site through the target point, through the head.

Jotun (for example) has LoS in all directions.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units