Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old December 30th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

Whoops! I thought that was an instead of moving ability. Ignore almost my entire previous post.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks to everyone for the comments on the Boggard Raiders. With 4 Move + Swift Leap in the same turn, my goal was to make a fast hitting squad a little more akin to the Venoc Vipers. They don't have the same potential for frenzy, but they can typically move a bit quicker, hit a bit harder, and survive a bit longer.

Moving on, I aspire to round out the cavalry units for all of the generals so here is my crack at Einar.

This is Mounted Samurai with Yari, charging 3 by Perry Miniatures. They are supplied unpainted.

NAME = Tagawa Samurai Cavalry
GENERAL = Einar
PLANET = Earth
SPECIES = Humans
CLASS = Samurai
PERSONALITY = Disciplined
SIZE = LARGE 6
COMMON SQUAD

LIFE = 1 (3 Figures)
MOVE = 8
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 120

SKEWERING CHARGE

When attacking with a Tagawa Samurai Cavalry, if the defending figure was not adjacent to that Samurai at the start of the turn, you may choose a figure adjacent to the defending figure. If the Samurai inflicts more wounds than needed to destroy the defending figure, all excess wounds count as unblockable hits on the chosen figure. The attacking Samurai cannot be the chosen figure.

COUNTERSTRIKE
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure. This power does not work against other Samurai.

The Tagawa Samurai Cavalry are ready to charge into battle and bolster the Samurai forces. When leading the charge with their spears, they can skewer through enemy soldiers and drive their weapons to the ranks behind. Once caught in combat, they can use their samurai training to punish those trying to attack them.

In true cavalry fashion, these guys are swingy and ultimately not particularly good. With a bit of luck Skewering Charge can potentially set up some devastating turns but will more likely fail to even trigger. Counterstrike makes them a tad more threatening once tied down than the other cavalry but 3 defense is uncomfortably low for a unit that expensive. Given their speed, they are probably best used as a threat to hang back and force your opponent to reconsider positioning their forces or risk seeing them skewered at the ends of a spear.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; January 8th, 2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Can choose adjacent to skewered
Old January 5th, 2015, 03:34 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think this is a pretty fun unit in theory and would try to play them in an all samurai army for nothing else but theme based fun. Skewing charge looks like a great play to make after the initial clash between smaller armies has happened or as a second wave in larger point armies.

Three defense isn't bad but you are right they won't see much use for counterstrike unless Raelin already happens to be near the front lines that they charge up to overall very fun unit idea that seems to fit flavorwise with the idea of samurai horsemen under the flag of Einar.
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:25 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Einar Templar Calvary! (I mean Tagawa Samurai Calvary.)

They seem fun, with skewering charge and all that. Skewering charge would murder any some 4th Mass before they get height. However, Counterstrike is not that affective with 3 defense, but I'm not even sure how themeattically they could have Counterstrike. I mean, they're riding horses with big spears.

Bottom line: They're fun because they could shread squads with 3 or less defense and get a first strike in. 3 Defense will kill them in the end. Nice job!

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Samurai Cavalry! Heck yeah! Too bad I'm broke lol.

I like Skewering Charge, and I understand how it can be a pain to word it too. I'd suggest just making it function like Cleave in that the 2nd figure just takes 1 wound. I don't think these guys are going to land multiple wounds against a lone figure with only 4 attack. If you do want to keep that mechanic, I guess you could up their attack to 5, as that seems to be pretty even with the other cavalry units once their boosts kick in. The other cavalry (your Centaurs included) also feature defense perks or some way to take extra turns, so while Countrike will help on occasion, the higher attack score might be for the best. Another great piece!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Orenda Tomefell
I like the acid theme you have here. She seems a bit too much like Sharwin to me, though. She would definitely outclass Sharwin if she had bonding. Which raises the question about Gold Dwarf. Gold dwarves are a subrace of dwarves in D&D, unlike, say, eladrin which are an entirely separate (though related) race than elves. To me it doesn't fit as a species on its own.

Tza-Rale
Personally, I think the Fiendish Girallon is too far from the Dzu-Teh. The four arms is weird enough, but Dzu-Teh don't have tails either. As for the design, I tend to shy away from anti-hero units since the game has plenty of those, but this guy isn't too far down that route. I do fear he would be too good of a beatstick alongside Death Chasers.

Boggard Raiders
This is a pretty fun design. I really like how they get a boost from leaping. If Swift Leap was instead of moving like Stealth Leap it wouldn't be very useful, given the number of figures and their weak defense. As-is the unit is a fun first-strike group.

Tagawa Samurai Cavalry
I'm not a fan of the "excess wounds" thing; it was added into C3V before I was there. I suspect there's a clash with some power somewhere, though nothing comes to mind. At least for Zaeus it's on a special attack and not a normal attack, limiting the amount of powers that may conflict with it. Regardless, it's a solid design. I like that you kept the "cavalry is always overpriced" thing that Heroscape seemed to have.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:11 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks to everyone for commenting! Let's dig in a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
I think this is a pretty fun unit in theory and would try to play them in an all samurai army for nothing else but theme based fun. Skewing charge looks like a great play to make after the initial clash between smaller armies has happened or as a second wave in larger point armies.

Three defense isn't bad but you are right they won't see much use for counterstrike unless Raelin already happens to be near the front lines that they charge up to overall very fun unit idea that seems to fit flavorwise with the idea of samurai horsemen under the flag of Einar.
I hope they're even a little fun in practice, if not competitive. They might be tough to work with Raelin, but she does just make everything better doesn't she. Glad to hear you like them (or at least in theory)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Einar Templar Calvary! (I mean Tagawa Samurai Calvary.)

They seem fun, with skewering charge and all that. Skewering charge would murder any some 4th Mass before they get height. However, Counterstrike is not that affective with 3 defense, but I'm not even sure how themeattically they could have Counterstrike. I mean, they're riding horses with big spears.

Bottom line: They're fun because they could shread squads with 3 or less defense and get a first strike in. 3 Defense will kill them in the end. Nice job!
Thanks! I had debated picking the cavalry with katanas instead but I liked the spear ones better. I see Counterstrike as more of a samurai thing than equipment so I'm okay with them still pulling it off. I'm sure the dream with them is to hang them back and then blow your opponent away once they clump up a little too much. With some hot rolls you could dish out the damage, but cavalry like this is more fun than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Samurai Cavalry! Heck yeah! Too bad I'm broke lol.

I like Skewering Charge, and I understand how it can be a pain to word it too. I'd suggest just making it function like Cleave in that the 2nd figure just takes 1 wound. I don't think these guys are going to land multiple wounds against a lone figure with only 4 attack. If you do want to keep that mechanic, I guess you could up their attack to 5, as that seems to be pretty even with the other cavalry units once their boosts kick in. The other cavalry (your Centaurs included) also feature defense perks or some way to take extra turns, so while Countrike will help on occasion, the higher attack score might be for the best. Another great piece!
As a warning, they are made with a miniatures line on 28mm scale so they may be a little short. I don't want anyone rushing out and buying something only to be disappointed. I have comments on Skewering Charge below, and I don't want to get their attack too high. The Templar Cavalry only get up to 5 with a convoluted charge that I'd rather not repeat. I think 4 may be okay with the overkill feature since it works for Zaeus. I would classify Counterstrike as enough of a defensive ability (or at least deterrent) that I'm okay with keeping them as they are. I'm not trying to make a competitive piece, just some fun cavalry in line with the stuff Heroscape had done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Orenda Tomefell
I like the acid theme you have here. She seems a bit too much like Sharwin to me, though. She would definitely outclass Sharwin if she had bonding. Which raises the question about Gold Dwarf. Gold dwarves are a subrace of dwarves in D&D, unlike, say, eladrin which are an entirely separate (though related) race than elves. To me it doesn't fit as a species on its own.
Well the race thing is the real rub for me. 4th Edition D&D took elves and split them into two groups, calling the magic inclined ones Eladrin and keeping the more woodsy ones as Elves. They also made them more fey themed. Before that point, they were celestial outsiders. Now 5th has abandoned Eladrin as a player race again. I never got into 4th and didn't like the Eladrin choice in the first place so the whole thing hasn't sat well with me. I will go as far to say that Drow are actually a subrace of elves (unless 4th changed that too for some reason) but have their own race in Heroscape so I feel a little vindicated sticking to Gold Dwarf.

She's probably better than Sharwin, but I think that's fine. Sharwin is overpriced but I would argue that is partially because she needs to be. Heroscape has historically costed potentially high impact and swingy powers quite highly, which I honestly think is for the best because they don't always lead to the best game play.

Quote:
Tza-Rale
Personally, I think the Fiendish Girallon is too far from the Dzu-Teh. The four arms is weird enough, but Dzu-Teh don't have tails either. As for the design, I tend to shy away from anti-hero units since the game has plenty of those, but this guy isn't too far down that route. I do fear he would be too good of a beatstick alongside Death Chasers.
Yeah, it's a real stretch for him to be Dzu-Teh. I had considered making the figure some kind of albino mutant Quasatch but that works even less well. I may change him to something distinct. While Rending is more effective against heroes, it is still useful against squads if he misses the first one, as is just having a double attack in general. I had completely missed the Death Chasers when I made him. I was just taking the personality of the Dzu-Teh. You're right that he looks awfully powerful when standing next to the Ogre. I'll change him up a bit.

Quote:
Boggard Raiders
This is a pretty fun design. I really like how they get a boost from leaping. If Swift Leap was instead of moving like Stealth Leap it wouldn't be very useful, given the number of figures and their weak defense. As-is the unit is a fun first-strike group.
Glad to hear it. I considered Stealth leap for a moment for them but then I realized what garbage that would be. I think I like how they ended up.

Quote:
Tagawa Samurai Cavalry
I'm not a fan of the "excess wounds" thing; it was added into C3V before I was there. I suspect there's a clash with some power somewhere, though nothing comes to mind. At least for Zaeus it's on a special attack and not a normal attack, limiting the amount of powers that may conflict with it. Regardless, it's a solid design. I like that you kept the "cavalry is always overpriced" thing that Heroscape seemed to have.
I actually like the idea of excess wound powers. Overkill type powers like that are a neat way to make something that tends to affect squads a bit more. I may tweak the power a bit more still since some of it is probably a bit much in the name of theme. I actually like the theme of "excess matters" for both attack and defense for them. But otherwise yes, I am keeping Heroscape tradition of garbage cavalry.
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I will go as far to say that Drow are actually a subrace of elves (unless 4th changed that too for some reason) but have their own race in Heroscape so I feel a little vindicated sticking to Gold Dwarf.
In 4th Ed drow were not a subrace of elves, they were a separate race. Essentially eladrin, elves, and drow all came from a common lineage but diverged into separate races. I haven't dug into 5th Ed yet to know what it's like now.
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I will go as far to say that Drow are actually a subrace of elves (unless 4th changed that too for some reason) but have their own race in Heroscape so I feel a little vindicated sticking to Gold Dwarf.
In 4th Ed drow were not a subrace of elves, they were a separate race. Essentially eladrin, elves, and drow all came from a common lineage but diverged into separate races. I haven't dug into 5th Ed yet to know what it's like now.
Ugh. Drow are back to being a subrace in 5th, as they should be in my opinion. They are called "dark elves" for a reason. I really don't understand why 4th went about changing all these ultimately meaningless little things. I don't think it makes things particularly easier for new players and it serves to trip up long time fans.

I overall have been enjoying 5th as an easy game to just pick up and get started with. It is simple to learn and is streamlined for faster play, although combat isn't the best if you are looking for a rich tactical experience. I hear 4th was okay for that, but my go to is still 3.5 (with house rules) for my D&D fix. It is crazy complicated and tough to learn but I'm already an entrenched player so I appreciate the depth beyond the barrier of entry.

As far as the gold dwarf distinction, I think I will still hold to it for now. While doing so for races has little precedence, Heroscape has laid out minute distinctions for classes like making Sonlen an Archmage instead of a Wizard. I essentially want to keep her dwarf themed since that is the characteristic race for Aquilla but I want to keep the cycle with loose to no synergy.
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I overall have been enjoying 5th as an easy game to just pick up and get started with. It is simple to learn and is streamlined for faster play, although combat isn't the best if you are looking for a rich tactical experience. I hear 4th was okay for that, but my go to is still 3.5 (with house rules) for my D&D fix. It is crazy complicated and tough to learn but I'm already an entrenched player so I appreciate the depth beyond the barrier of entry.
I have dabbled in 5th ed, I just haven't gotten the books myself yet. I played both 3.5 and 4.0 extensively, and like both for different reasons, though 4.0 collapsed under its own design weight.
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:21 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

I think 3 defense for mounted, armored cavalry unit is pretty low. Part of the problem that plagues the Templars.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

I'm not going to get into depth, but those Calavry units (including previously made ones) are sweeeet. I really like seeing customs that finish off what heroscape never got around to do.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards