Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 19th, 2017, 08:12 PM

nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby!
Question Age that your kids began building battlefields?

Hi everyone, but especially parents,

So joy of joys, my kids are finally of the age that they are really interested in Heroscape!

But woe of woes they still seem to be too young to build the battlefields. Today, 2 water tiles got snapped. Fortunately, it was on the edges so still should be usable, but still... it's not like terrain is easily replaceable anymore.

I know that some of it is due to the plastic getting more brittle over time, but I'm curious when 'Scapers with kids let their little ones go crazy with the tiles and their imaginations, and any guidelines you used when they were on the younger side.

Note, that my kids are respectful with my stuff. It's just that sometimes it's a little hard to get things together or apart and when they get stuck, they use force rather than finesse.

Thanks for any insight that any of you can offer!

I need you to be awesome. Can you be awesome?

Thanks to AmishBurrito for a promo code and Gulp for sending wound markers!
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:41 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Age that your kids began building battlefields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyphot View Post
Hi everyone, but especially parents,

So joy of joys, my kids are finally of the age that they are really interested in Heroscape!

But woe of woes they still seem to be too young to build the battlefields. Today, 2 water tiles got snapped. Fortunately, it was on the edges so still should be usable, but still... it's not like terrain is easily replaceable anymore.

I know that some of it is due to the plastic getting more brittle over time, but I'm curious when 'Scapers with kids let their little ones go crazy with the tiles and their imaginations, and any guidelines you used when they were on the younger side.

Note, that my kids are respectful with my stuff. It's just that sometimes it's a little hard to get things together or apart and when they get stuck, they use force rather than finesse.

Thanks for any insight that any of you can offer!
My son is 10 and he’s probably just now at the age but he’s been helping me for a few years. He knows that if something feels tight to stop. He doesn’t do any tear downs as that seems to be the more dangerous time.

Typically I take it apart and he sorts them into the appropriate location. When he was younger I’d let him hunt the pieces needed and I would build it. Let him help out and be a part of it.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:55 PM

nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby!

Very helpful to draw the distinction between building and tearing down. The two water tiles that broke did happen during tear down, so that might be a good rule to implement right away.

I'd welcome any insight others have as well! I'm so eager to get my kids into it... but not if their enthusiasm wrecks the collection!

Old December 2nd, 2017, 12:14 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I am leery about letting my teens at youth group build and take down, as a lot of stuff has gotten very, very brittle and breaks on me. But it's unclear what factors into it - some pieces are as durable as day 1 and others are brittle overall. I have lost 4 or 5 24-hex pieces since moving the collection to Germany. I am just thankful the figures stand up much better to time and my terrain collection is large enough that it doesn't hurt too badly (I mean it hurts, but I rarely build with everything, so I haven't really noticed it yet

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 13th, 2017, 12:02 PM

The rules I have implemented are:

* Only Dad takes things apart.
* No water tiles

The second rule led to many tears and unfortunately, the rules seem to have dampened enthusiasm significantly but I think that they are appropriate for now as I don't have the size of collection that allows for things to break.

I suppose I should add that my kids are 5.5 and almost 3 and only the younger one has actually broken any pieces, so I guess it seems that I was a little overly enthusiastic getting the kids into building anyway... but that part is just so darn fun!

I guess I've been overall pretty lucky! Other than the water tiles, I don't think I've had any other breakages... except the base of the large tree of RttFF, but that one just seems crazy brittle.

Thanks again for your insight! I'll update if my rules change in any way going forward!

Old December 15th, 2017, 12:19 PM

WarBeast knows what's in an order marker WarBeast knows what's in an order marker

Anyone have any playing tips for young children? I just started letting my 4 year old play but he has no patience. lol. He loves just setting up all the figures onto the map and pretend fighting. Or is that all I can expect for now?
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:29 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBeast View Post
Anyone have any playing tips for young children? I just started letting my 4 year old play but he has no patience. lol. He loves just setting up all the figures onto the map and pretend fighting. Or is that all I can expect for now?
I did one figure vs one figure battles for extremely quick games...just to get him into it. My son actually learned math and reading from Heroscape. You can't expect a ton at that age but they grow and learn really fast. When you start playing full army games (start small) handicap yourself with a less point army. It keeps it fun for all. My hardest thing with playing games is knowing how to take it easy without it becoming not fun for me but with Heroscape I never had that issue. I would have a 500 point army to his 1000 point army and I could play as aggressive as I wanted but he could still win or come close...eventually he started learning more and our point difference started narrowing until now we are even. You have to teach without it looking like you are teaching...for instance if you child moves to a very bad space you can say..."ah, I got you know..because you moved your guy there I can move to here and now I have height advantage on you. Next time you want to avoid doing that". I also always took the "bad guys" so he could be the heroes that saved the day. (Superheroes more than classic but same strategy) The key is to make it as fun and engaging as possible. My 10 year old still sets up scenes on our maps between games. He's now graduated to Scenario planning.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:12 PM

WarBeast knows what's in an order marker WarBeast knows what's in an order marker

Awesome tips, japes. Will have to try them for sure. I did notice he quickly understood the basic concept of skulls vs shields, so it sounds like the other things may come naturally over time. Thanks
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:37 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Awesome tips, japes. Will have to try them for sure. I did notice he quickly understood the basic concept of skulls vs shields, so it sounds like the other things may come naturally over time. Thanks
That really is the beauty of this game...the basics are so simple that a 4 year old can figure it out while at the same time having a very complex strategy element.

The basics from a kids level...counting Move and Range, subtracting shields from skulls...

We played the Basic Side of the cards exactly one time...ONE.

Old December 17th, 2017, 03:04 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
That really is the beauty of this game...the basics are so simple that a 4 year old can figure it out while at the same time having a very complex strategy element.

The basics from a kids level...counting Move and Range, subtracting shields from skulls...

We played the Basic Side of the cards exactly one time...ONE.
My little girl has played since she was 5. Counting how many dice she got to kill daddys toys with was her favorite part as she slammed the dice down her bejeweled princess dice tower I built her. Basic rules. We just picked 5 characters each......so I always fought against 5 dragons. I also let her build the maps but helped her with the more brittle water and lava tiles.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

My 6yo's first effort:

Probably a little while before we're troubling the BoV judges.

She's not that interested in playing though unfortunately. She'd rather just free-play with the figures. (She hasn't really taken to board games in general. Yet.)
Old December 24th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool.

I like the gap. I feel that is an under utilized map feature.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion