Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM

MyNameIsGrundle Woo who?
Engagement question + more!

Hey all. We've been having a few questions in my play group that we just can't find the answer to in the rulebook and didn't see them on the FAQ so here goes;

1) When a figure is engaged can they ranged attack (normal or special) a different figure that they are not engaged with

2)if a figure is engaged with another figure can he use a ranged special/normal attack with the fiugure he's engaged with

3)When you have swamp water and regular water connected, how do you handle moving? Do you stop when going from swamp water to regular water or does it transition as normal (since you don't have to stop when entering swamp)

4)I know height advantage doesn't add to special attacks but do you get the height defense boost against special attacks?

5)If I have a figure at an elevation of 5 but he's shooting (ranged) at a huge figure (height 11) does height advantage kick in, or does the figure's hieght effect it?

6) If the answer to question 5 is yes, how does it work with melee combat if the huge figure is like 8 levels below you but still tall enough to melee against?

7) Anubian Wolves/Marcu Esenwein/etc.: Their abilities affect them till the end of the turn (when Marcu betrays you I mean). When they have multiple moves on them how does this work? Is it just for that order marker?

8 )I thought I had range and height figured out but the airborne elite have me confused. I thought the rules said height doesn't matter when calculating range, but the clarification on the Elite's grenade has the "lob" distinction which references how high it can be thrown. If height doesn't matter when calculating range why the clarification? Am I all wrong about how range works when shooting upwards?

9) One last easy one while on the subect of airborn. Ok, so I have 2 engaged elite and 2 non engaged. I want to grenade. I know the 2 unengaged work fine, but does this mean the engaged ones get no grenades, or can only use them against the figure they're engaged with? ( i know, not the best strategic decision, but is it allowable)?

I know it's a lot of stuff but any answers would be a big help. The rulebook kinda glosses over a lot of stuff and I don't know where else to look for this stuff. Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. Just spotted a couple of the answers in the FAQ but still like a players take on them in case the FAQ missed an exception or something. Just saying this before I get 3 posts saying "check the FAQ"

Last edited by MyNameIsGrundle; August 10th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Engagement question + more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsGrundle View Post
1) When a figure is engaged can they ranged attack (normal or special) a different figure that they are not engaged with
If the attacking figure is engaged it cannot choose to attack a figure it is not engaged with.

Quote:
2)if a figure is engaged with another figure can he use a ranged special/normal attack with the fiugure he's engaged with
Yes, if an engaged figure chooses to attack it must attack any of the figures it is engaged to. (An engaged figure is not required to make an attack.)

Quote:
3)When you have swamp water and regular water connected, how do you handle moving? Do you stop when going from swamp water to regular water or does it transition as normal (since you don't have to stop when entering swamp)
If you step on water your figure stops. If the moving figure has a double base, it must have both feet in the water at the same time to stop. Swamp Water is not the same as Normal Water, you do not stop in swamp water.

Quote:
4)I know height advantage doesn't add to special attacks but do you get the height defense boost against special attacks?
Yes, the defender always receives all the bonuses it currently holds (height, glyphs, etc)(Unless explicitly stated on the army card. Which is none of them.).

Quote:
5)If I have a figure at an elevation of 5 but he's shooting (ranged) at a huge figure (height 11) does height advantage kick in, or does the figure's hieght effect it?
If the base of the attacking figure is higher than the base of the defending figure, then the attacker has height advantage. The defending figures height only matters in Extreme Height Advantage.

Quote:
6) If the answer to question 5 is yes, how does it work with melee combat if the huge figure is like 8 levels below you but still tall enough to melee against?
They would still be adjacent, but [see answer 5].

Quote:
7) Anubian Wolves/Marcu Esenwein/etc.: Their abilities affect them till the end of the turn (when Marcu betrays you I mean). When they have multiple moves on them how does this work? Is it just for that order marker?
Yes, and all order markers stay on Marcu (though your opponent may not look at them).

Quote:
8 )I thought I had range and height figured out but the airborne elite have me confused. I thought the rules said height doesn't matter when calculating range, but the clarification on the Elite's grenade has the "lob" distinction which references how high it can be thrown. If height doesn't matter when calculating range why the clarification? Am I all wrong about how range works when shooting upwards?
There is a clarification on their card because it only effects them. If a figure is 16 levels above the AE, then they cannot throw grenades at it. But, if you throw it at a figure who is lower and adjacent to the high figure you can still hit them with the splash.

Quote:
9) One last easy one while on the subect of airborn. Ok, so I have 2 engaged elite and 2 non engaged. I want to grenade. I know the 2 unengaged work fine, but does this mean the engaged ones get no grenades, or can only use them against the figure they're engaged with? ( i know, not the best strategic decision, but is it allowable)?
EDIT: My response was so wrong it was funny. Please see nyphot's post below this one for the actual answer.

I'm sure some other member could tell you were in all the rule books that all is, but it's to late for me to do all that searching. In all honestly, I think it would be the same amount of work if not more to do that.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; August 10th, 2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM

nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby! nyphot rolls all skulls baby!

One clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Quote:
I had to look this one up, so it was the most difficult one you had here. You said it was easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnutt99 View Post
- GRENADE SPECIAL ATTACK : Optional Attack
When you use the Grenade Special Attack power, does each Airborne Elite have to lob a grenade if they have an enemy in sight?
No. They don't have to. But if one uses his grenades, they all have to use them. You can't split it up across turns. (Hasbro FAQ)
So the answer is, you can still throw the grenades, but you can also choose to shoot with the engaged ones (to save themselves) and grenades with the others. The ability is a "use it or lose it"type of skill, if one AE lobs a big one and the rest choose not to, then you cannot throw again.

I'm sure some other member could tell you were in all the rule books that all is, but it's to late for me to do all that searching. In all honestly, I think it would be the same amount of work if not more to do that.
To clarify (or correct?), the engaged AE cannot use their regular attack. They must either use grenades against figures they are engaged with (which is totally legal, but they could wipe themselves out) or forego attacking. From the Book:

Quote:
- GRENADE SPECIAL ATTACK : Optional Attack
When you use the Grenade Special Attack power, does each Airborne Elite have to lob a grenade if they have an enemy in sight?
No. They don't have to. But if one uses his grenades, they all have to use them. You can't split it up across turns. (Hasbro FAQ)

I need you to be awesome. Can you be awesome?

Thanks to AmishBurrito for a promo code and Gulp for sending wound markers!
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Whoa! It is late I copy pasted that same thing from the book and read it totally different! I edited that portion out of my response so it doesn't confuse people.

Thanks for the correction up nyphot.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
The rulebook kinda glosses over a lot of stuff and I don't know where else to look for this stuff.
Actually, I find that the rulebook doesn't gloss over anything; we readers do.
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Several of your questions can be answered if you followed the following rules for attack:
1. You have to ATTACK the figure(s) you are engaged before you can attack the unengaged ones, and special ATTACK is never modified. Therefore:
- Defense against special attack gets height advantage.
- Special POWER can be used on unengaged opponent even if you are engaged with another figure. For example: Braxas' Bad Breath can be used on any figures within 4 spaces, engaged or not, but Nilfheim's Cold Spit must be used on engaged figures.

2. Range of a figure is the distance UP TO which it can attack another figure. So, if you have a range 5 figure, it can attack another figure 5, or 4, or 3, or 2, or 1 spaces away. Attacking an engaged figure is attacking 1 space away, so your range figure can certainly attack an engaged figure, special or not.

For your question 8, notice that the AE does not need any clear sight to use their grenades. Not sure if you know, but I think it is somewhat relevant to what you asked.

You may want to check out my Brief Card for Beginner, link is in my sig line, below this post. Most of your questions can be answered there .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

You should really check out the new FAQs, too, posted here by one of the game's designers, as they answer a lot of extra questions.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM

MyNameIsGrundle Woo who?

Thanks everybody. Big help. Like I said I did find some of the answers after posting, but it's still helpful to hear it explained by actual players. Anyway, really appreciate the help, I think it's great tthat the game still has such an active and helpful player base.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's