Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old July 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
I can't stomach the horrible console controls for FPS games. Like ya said, JCB, mouse/keyboard are where it's at when it comes to FPS control.
This seems a rather factual way to state your subjective experience. I (like Jcb and many others I bet) actually prefer the console controls. There's something visceral there with the controller in your hands that I don't feel with mouse/keyboard. For me that feeling is heightened by the just right movement/physics in Halo.

Quote:
I find myself drawn to the exceptional games rather than the more average games
Again, this is a very factual way to present your opinion. It can be hard to discuss things if someone claims their opinions as fact. That said, its not like we're arguing about Life, the Universe, and Everything. PC shooters vs Halo is something no one should get worked up about.
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Quote:
I can't stomach the horrible console controls for FPS games. Like ya said, JCB, mouse/keyboard are where it's at when it comes to FPS control.
This seems a rather factual way to state your subjective experience. I (like Jcb and many others I bet) actually prefer the console controls. There's something visceral there with the controller in your hands that I don't feel with mouse/keyboard. For me that feeling is heightened by the just right movement/physics in Halo.
It's not really a subjective/opinion thing - two things make this more of a 'fact' than an 'opinion': 1) gaming publications and other media sites have consistently ran matches with controllers vs mouse/keyboard in a variety of matches and the mouse/keyboard has won these 'tests' on an extremely consistent basis (see PC Gamer vs OXM, for one such test), and 2) the vast majority of gamers acknowledge this as a known fact, regardless of which they enjoy playing on. Now I'll concur that you're free to play with whatever controller you'd like but painting my comments (that the mouse/keyboard works much better for FPS-style games) as an 'opinion' isn't entirely accurate either. If we were just discussing which we liked better, I'd be fine stating that my opinion is to prefer the mouse/keyboard, but we were discussing strengths of games as well, in which case this is a more of a 'explain your reasoning' kind of a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Quote:
I find myself drawn to the exceptional games rather than the more average games
Again, this is a very factual way to present your opinion. It can be hard to discuss things if someone claims their opinions as fact. That said, its not like we're arguing about Life, the Universe, and Everything. PC shooters vs Halo is something no one should get worked up about.
I completely agree and I apologize if my comments came off as entirely factual in this regard. Certainly, it's not the world's most important topic. However, that being said, all too frequently people throw out the 'everything is opinion-based and there are no facts' flag in these discussions, too. It seems pretty verifiable to compare any of the Halo games to specific PC FPS titles and you could see where each title was better. I suppose where it gets dicey is in how much each person may value specific traits, good or bad as they may be in each case.

Old July 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I agree with wytefang that the mouse/keyboard combo is superior in terms of accuracy and efficiency. I just don't like how it feels, and there are many that agree with me. Gamepad controls are just more comfortable and more fun I think, even if it sacrifices a little bit of an edge.

Fortunately we never have to play one versus the other, as XBOX Liove doesn't work that way yet. Hopefully it never will....playing mouse/keyboard verus gamepad would be no contest, even for skilled gamepad players. Keyboard would mop up.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Hmmm, I didn't mean to say the gamepad was more accurate or efficient than the mouse/keyboard combo. I simply meant to say that I preferred it, and took issue with the declaration that it is horrible. Mostly just nitpicking your word choice...I think we fundamentally agree here.

The assumed accuracy superiority of the mouse/keyboard is intriguing to me, though. Since you don't really have finer motor control over your shoulder or wrist than you do over your thumbs, why does this discrepancy pop up? Has experience been taken out of the picture? Has OGRE1 played Fatal1ty in some neutral game? Is the problem the accuracy of the equipment? Or (and this is I think the most likely) is it the fact that you have a greater range of movement available to you with a mouse for the same amount of screen real estate, allowing grosser motor movements to correspond to finer in-game adjustments?
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
My two cents...

If I'm playing a first person shooter, I play it much better on a pc. I played the HECK out of Unreal Tournament. When I got my Xbox I tried playing Halo and Unreal Tournament 2003 and Castle Wolfenstein... the controller was very difficult to shift to, and I never successfully did so.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
My two cents...

If I'm playing a first person shooter, I play it much better on a pc. I played the HECK out of Unreal Tournament. When I got my Xbox I tried playing Halo and Unreal Tournament 2003 and Castle Wolfenstein... the controller was very difficult to shift to, and I never successfully did so.
Same thing with my freinds dad, give him a keyboard and mouse, he can hand you hind quaters to ya, give him a controller, and he'll be swiss cheeze before you can say, OWNED!!!

FINISH HIM!
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'll throw my hat into the ring on the Mouse and Keyboard side. It's a better feel for me. :P

Oddly enough, the first game that really got me into FPS was FINAL DOOM.....on my Playstation. I think it was 96'. Then I got a PC and Quake. The end.

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
I can play Console FPS with relative ease. I mean, in the heat of battle I'll occasionally confuse the Turn and Aim joysticks, but I can still make it out for the most part. But Keyboard and Mouse... it's precise. Too precise. My hands arn't steady enough to aim in one place, so I end up just shooting around someone in an attempt to hit them. Plus, I find the Arrows Keys harder to move with. So yeah, I'm a console guy.
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
As wytefang said, there have been tests done that indicated the superiority of the mouse-keyboard combo in some form of neutral testing. I am not sure of the format of the tests or how they were conducted.
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
I'd like to apologize because I did not mean to derail this thread with a bunch of bluster about mouse/keyboard vs controller. My sincere apologies.

However, I'd like to at least answer the last few queries - the problem stems from a few things, when it comes to controller difficulties. The primary issue is that the control sticks return to center after you move them, out of necessity, while a mouse does not. The second issue is the precision of the movement. And I'd say the third issue is the quickness with which you can spin and shoot - on the controller, it's just extremely slow (comparatively speaking, of course). The recent shooter "Shadowrun" allowed for cross-platform play but they had to heavily tweak the controller and gimp the mouse/keyboard to make it work. There are several reviews and/or previews that have discussed the issue in respect to that particular game.

JCB231,

The more well-known test was between the PC Gamer staff versus editors from the Official Xbox Magazine on Halo 1, played on the PC. The PC Gamer staff sent players who had never, ever played Halo 1 at all (and in general, weren't even FPS players) while the OXM staff was asked to send their very best Halo players (a couple of whom were quite good and played competitively). I believe that the maps were unknown to both sides as they were added to the PC version of Halo 1 (if I recall correctly). The end results was heavily, heavily slanted in favor of the mouse/keyboard players in nearly all the matches. I apologize but I cannot recall some of the other ones that I've read but they're out there.

Anyway, let's let these guys have control of their thread back. I've hijacked it long enough. Sorry guys.
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Venom has disabled reputation
CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://halo3.msn.com/videos.aspx?GT1=10275

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Well I'm posting from my laptop outside BestBuy . First one on line so first store copy w00t.

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games