Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old March 7th, 2019, 05:55 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2019

Also, can we get more map variety. IE. if you are planning a max capacity of 72 people at time, you will have 36 maps - can there be AT LEAST 12 different maps, preferably 18 so there is only 2 or 3 copies of each map (as apposed to 6-10 maps with 4-5 copies each). I understand map constraints, but people would not be too mad if only 3 of the maps were (for instance) Common Ground as opposed to 5. The trick is having 2-3 different maps with the same terrain requirements.

Maybe have a series of polls on the site such as a list of 10 RotV maps, another poll of 10 RotV+RttFF maps, another one with 10 SotM+TJ maps, etc, and pick the top 3 winners from each of those polls be the maps at Gencon. With low copies of each maps you could even have a map with the Marvel set and a map or two with 4+ master/terrain sets as you would only need 2 copies of each. Just an idea to get more map variety as well as more involvement, but I know it is always the organizers prerogative.
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Here's a BoV breakdown:

1 MS, no expansions: 1 map
1 MS, 1 expansion: 12 maps
1 MS, 2 expansions: 13 maps
1 MS, 3 expansions: 1 map
2 MS, 1 expansion: 5 maps
Average BoV map: 1.16 MS, 1.44 exp

ARV Breakdown:

1 MS, 1 expansion: 3 maps
1 MS, 2 expansion: 11 maps
2 MS, 1 expansion: 6 maps
Average ARV map: 1.3 MS, 1.55 exp

--------------------------

I think the ARV is fantastic, but for whatever reason, the maps tend to use more sets.

EDIT: Last year's GenCon map pool:

1 MS, 1 expansion: 4 maps
1 MS, 2 expansions: 2 maps
2 MS, 1 expansion: 2 maps
Average 2018: 1.22 MS, 1.22 exp

2017 GenCon maps:

1 MS, 1 expansion: 1 map
1 MS, 2 expansions: 3 maps
2 MS, 1 expansion: 1 map
2 MS, 2 expansions: 1 map
Average 2017: 1.29 MS, 1.43 exp

2016 GenCon maps:

1 MS, 1 expansion: 1 map
1 MS, 2 expansions: 4 maps
2 MS, 1 expansion: 1 map
Average 2016: 1.17 MS, 1.67 exp

Last edited by superfrog; March 7th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old March 7th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Thanks for that breakdown Superfrog! I think that helps build a case that there is more than enough good content from ARV maps to consider for GenCon. We may not have a 1 MS map yet but that is clearly the minority of maps used at GenCon anyway, so I think we’ve got what it takes and hopefully map choosers can recognize that.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Maps will be posted around June 1st. We have out top guys vigorously searching for quality maps that work well within our terrain constraints.

The more important question that needs to be answered is, how may Hatamoto Taros will we see this year? And what is everyone bringing to tech against him. Personally I’m bringing Jotun, just to make sure.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; March 7th, 2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: The last samurai!
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:09 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Maps will be posted around June 1st. We have our top guys vigorously searching for quality maps that work well within our terrain constraints.
Good! Just as long as they’re sending a critical eye to the ARV maps. The BoV was the first of its time in establishing strong tournament maps (for the most part), but I’d also say that their time has “passed”, and while using their maps will always be nostalgic I think it’s important to recognize and respect our current and active mapmakers for the great work they do in bringing us new and fresh competitive maps. Fortunately the ARV has a number of these mapmakers’ work within its archive.

*stepping off of soapbox*

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think not having an ARV map with one MS is an oversight and a logical challenge to one's map making skills. You would probably see more ARV maps selected if you choose to work within the parameters given by those who choose the maps.
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I think not having an ARV map with one MS is an oversight and a logical challenge to one's map making skills. You would probably see more ARV maps selected if you choose to work within the parameters given by those who choose the maps.
No kidding.

Why not have an ARV contest, as Lonewolf suggested, targeted at replacing a map at GenCon?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I absolutely agree. I think having a contest for 1 MS maps would be a great idea for a future contest. My main point was just that 1MS maps are largely the minority in maps selected and so there is still plenty of room for our ARV maps to be considered and selected (especially considering the past selection of maps for GenCon.. as Superfrog broke down for us).

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 7th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I would think the utter lack of 1 MS maps would be the predominant factor in them being in the minority.
If ARV had multiple quality 1 RotV maps, not only would they have a better chance of being chosen but there is a better chance that multiple are chosen, thus providing the variety of maps to please the public.
But that is just my theory working off the request of 1 RotV maps. And it would be a fun contest to boot.
Old March 7th, 2019, 11:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

^ This guy gets it. My .

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 8th, 2019, 02:21 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Ok, I’ll bite.

I built last year’s map pool. I may or may not be one of the people working on it this year.

1. To say that the time to use BoV maps has passed is ridiculous. We use them because they are good. Something like Highways and Dieways has been used a ton because it’s superbly balanced and well designed, not because of nostalgia.
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves. I took a chance with Draugur last year because of some recommendations from people I trusted and they convinced me of its merits. It was a good choice, but that is not and will not be the norm for map selection. I’m not willing to take that chance on just any map.
3. We organize for 48 people at a time with 4 learn to play slots- that’s 26 maps. Last year, I was able to include 9 different maps, the highest it’s been in years- there was a pretty even split between 2x and 4x maps in the pool. The GenCon terrain is very tight and it’s a very difficult and long process to math out a bunch of different map combinations that fall within these restraints. It’s a lot tighter than most people think.

We do encourage people to make new competitive maps, and we look forward to hopefully using some of them at GenCon. However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:08 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
I would think the utter lack of 1 MS maps would be the predominant factor in them being in the minority.
If ARV had multiple quality 1 RotV maps, not only would they have a better chance of being chosen but there is a better chance that multiple are chosen, thus providing the variety of maps to please the public.
But that is just my theory working off the request of 1 RotV maps. And it would be a fun contest to boot.
I have already been gunning for this, though my reasons were more for new players with limited selections. It would be however a big waste not to consider using ARV maps that are tested quite a bit to be qualified for the confines of the ARV roster and also made by our current Heroscape people that are playing the game now.

If there was ever a current group of maps that should be up for consideration, the ARV is the spot to look to.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con