Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Railroad Tycoon The Board Game

I am curious as to what members here have to say about this game. Its been on my buy list for a looooong time and I never got around to buying it, now it seems my hand is being forced as Eagle games was bought out.

Eagle games just got bought out and I believe it is going out of print. Is it worth ~$80 (with shipping) to get it from Funagain before they sell out? I don't have the money to spend $150 to get Free Shipping, otherwise I would get it in a heartbeat. I could tap into my custom IMax dice tower fund, but I don't want to do that...

Oh and both of my FLGS are out...

Should I buy it or not?

EDIT - Well Eaglegames.net says they have it in stock with Free Shipping on orders over $25. Sooooo I will order and see if it actually is in stock.

I would still like to hear what others have to say about the game.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I friggin love this game. Man alive it's fun, and it's more fair than most games - luck takes a far back seat to being smart. There's no dice. Even turn order is determined by bidding.

And I hate to sound like I'm way out of the loop on this one, but where did you hear Eagle Games was bought out? I know Funagain signed a deal to manage their site, but I hadn't heard that the company was going away.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Perhaps I read the posts wrong on BGG. I will go double check...but I was under the impression its going to be OOP now.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Just to let you know that EagleGames has gone kaput. They are still selling their games (what is left of stock) from the website and FunAgain Games bought them out, IIRC. So if you want to pick up the game do so now. It might be a while before you can find it again.

Newb.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Eagle Games went bust a couple of months back. Their stock in hand was auctioned off in August, and Funagain bought it. I'm not sure whether/how Eagle Games are still shipping stuff themselves, but I know that Keith was hoping to keep it going as a company in the long-term, and was manning the office in the short.

As for Railroad Tycoon, given it's based on Age of Steam, one of the all-time greats, it was bound to be good. I like it a lot - and as it's easier to play that Age of Steam, it gets slightly more table time (although BOTH games are currently losing out to the similar, and also excelent, Canal Mania).

Railroad Tyoon is let down a bit by a coupe of minor production issues (HUGE board, TINY scoring track; purple cities painted purple, blue cities painted almost purple; boards that warp for some people). the bigger drawback for some is the gameplay. Kinder and more forgiving than the brain-burn, "plan your turn before you start or you die" gameplay of Age of Steam, at times it can be a touch random; not all event cards, or player roles, or start positions are created equal. Which is a shame.

The main designer's a friend of mine (I get to help crew his stand at Essen next month for some of the weekend), and I know he had an earlier version of the game that didn't have these problems; it also had all the players starting on the east coast, heading westwards, which I can see should have made for a better game. The final changes to the design weren't his, and I live in hope that once the Eagle Games situation is sorted (as regards who owns what intellectual property) perhaps Martin will allow his version of the rules to appear on the web. For the present, Railroad Tycoon was still one of my favourite games of last year.

If you're looking for another game to go on that order, grab Antike - it was the best game of last year IMO.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
I'm not sure whether/how Eagle Games are still shipping stuff themselves, but I know that Keith was hoping to keep it going as a company in the long-term, and was manning the office in the short.
I placed the order, so I guess we will see. Hopefully they don't screw me. I haven't received an email for order confirmation yet. grrr

Funagain has 416 copies in stock, so if things don't work out with buying direct I should have some time before they sell out.
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well, that explains why their PR guy quit returning my calls.
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Jandars_Hope is surprisingly tart
I got RR3 for the PC (just because i don't have the cash or room to buy and set up a huge train set) but never knew it was a board game!
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Just my $.02 but if you want to get a "rail" game Ticket to Ride is the one to get. Just Awesome!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Just my $.02 but if you want to get a "rail" game Ticket to Ride is the one to get. Just Awesome!
Got it. Want something a little deeper.
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Man Genius

Ticket to Ride and Railroad Tycoon are not very similar. Ticket to Ride is about trying to travel the country on different trains; Railroad Tycoon is about expanding your train line to be the most prosperous railroad owner. Not only that, but the depth of strategy in Railroad Tycoon is intense, with lots of decision making - go after the easy bait and earn a quick buck, or set up in the Midwest, to maximize long-range earning? Set up an exclusive line in the middle of nowhere, or compete aggressively with the other builders? Beef up a town or drain it dry? Issue stock to get capital, or avoid debt and run cheap for a while? It's tricky as hell and really fun. It can get pretty intense by the end, too.
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hahnarama wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Oh heck ya they are two totally differnet games, but as far as the ratio of ease of learning:to fun goes TTR is the hands down winner.

Max you were there @ GC TTR was a crowd pleaser every night. Not knocking either one but if I had to choose it would be TTR.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games