Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Battleship Galaxies

For those interested, there is still a chance to win a free copy on BattleshipGalaxians.com

You only need to register on the site, and post in the above thread, to be eligible.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I got a review copy from Hasbro, which makes it income, and taxable income. Because it's not coming from my employer, that makes it self-employment tax eligible. So, I give 99.9% of my games I get on review to people, either through contests or just because.

This year alone I've given away maybe 28 games now. I rarely trade them away, but this one is so hot right now, and I am trying to rebuild my Heroscape stuff after the great Panic Selloff of 2010 that I really have to get something for it or I'd feel a little sick. Same sickness as when the expansions hit store shelves and I didn't get a copy.

But seriously, this, Merchants and Marauders, and Wrath of Ashardalon were the 3 that really hurt me the most to give away. Luckily, I gave M&M to a really dear friend so it didn't hurt me as much, but Wrath and this will sting for a while. Hopefully the floors in my house will get done soon so I can release funds for game purchases again.

OH: Blanket answer for the 3 PMs I got on "legal issues". I'm close enough to be eligible for the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) that my accountant has me watching every single source of income, every expense....all that jazz. Better to buy a game that I had and had to give away than get a 10K tax bill.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Last edited by SuperflyTNT; July 11th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I might need to register for one of the Demos at Gencon. This game is looking cooler and cooler by the second.
All the Battleship demos we are doing are sold out...Sorry.

Maybe they will be demoing in the Dealer hall; I don't know.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Yeah, I don't need the ranges and stuff to be a simulation, which is why range values don't bother me at all in Heroscape.

In a space combat game though, its about theme more than 'simulation' for me. It's more thematic, for me at least, for space combat to be about weapons fire incoming from far away, since compared to existing naval warfare, the size of space and the speed the ships would need to traverse that space effectively means that 'close range,' 'medium range,' and 'long range' are relatively much larger.

IMO I like the "Range Band" idea that some games use: where you can shoot clear across the table, but probably not very effectively, and with opponents having more opportunity to manuever around or shoot down your incoming fire.

I'm betting one of the other six BG races will probably have a bunch of Range 6-8 weapons with almost no point defense and really crappy fighters or something.
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM
how do I look?

lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby! lafleurhero rolls all skulls baby!

Something to consider, you can't make space combat a simulation and realistic no matter what you do simply because we do not yet have that type of technology. There is nobody that actually knows how deep space combat would work. Perhaps weapons wouldn't be able to have the range a lot of people think, we just don't know. That being the case they could do whatever they want with a space theme for combat and it can work.

The largest source of Heroscape in Wyoming Washington, now selling loads of terrain.
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Drives for Utgar

Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby!

Just got mine in the mail today, sad thing is I can not open it till Monday. I just have to much to do with the House add on so close to being done but the box looks great & you can feel the weight which has me smiling.

I would rather bite the belly of the beast as it swallows me whole then run from it!
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:43 AM

soundguy is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Smile Re: Battleship Galaxies

just got my copy tonight and a friend of mine played thru the basic game ( with tactics ) with me.

ran good.

I like it better than starfleet battles 9 too many rules / slow play ).. and liked it better than full thrust ( bland and some rules conflicts ).. liked it as much as space fleet, yet.. easier to play and just as fun.

anyone know about any expansions that may be coming out for it. they way the rules are written it sounds like there could be expansions.

soundguy
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:08 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue A$$asSIN View Post
Just got mine in the mail today, sad thing is I can not open it till Monday. I just have to much to do with the House add on so close to being done but the box looks great & you can feel the weight which has me smiling.
I got mine at my FLGS last night. Best to have a fair amount of time...the rules book looks brief but there are a bunch of little details that I can see easily forgotten. If you don't have a lot of time the first time you open it you'll just be teasing yourself.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
For those interested, there is still a chance to win a free copy on BattleshipGalaxians.com

You only need to register on the site, and post in the above thread, to be eligible.
Ooops, just saw it today and it appears to be too late
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
just got my copy tonight and a friend of mine played thru the basic game ( with tactics ) with me.

ran good.

I like it better than starfleet battles 9 too many rules / slow play ).. and liked it better than full thrust ( bland and some rules conflicts ).. liked it as much as space fleet, yet.. easier to play and just as fun.

anyone know about any expansions that may be coming out for it. they way the rules are written it sounds like there could be expansions.

soundguy
Dude! Welcome! You're my kind of guy if you've played all of those games. I'm a big fan of the genre and the only downfall this game has is that it needs expansions desperately. Not enough in the box to keep it fresh for long.

Rules are very near perfect, only flaw is that during your energy phase, you should be able to reposition shield markers and shots from enemies should be looked at from a line of sight perpective to see which hex it goes through to determine if a shield or a hull was hit.

Without that mechanic, shields are essentially just more damage points to absorb, and the only reason to even have them is due to the shield siphon card or the shield recharge glyph.

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From what I've seen of the game so far it reminds me of Silent Death, only with a less complex rules system. I remember really liking SD, but the game was dieing when I got into it and all but the basic ships were becoming hard to find.

Is there anyone who's played both of these games that can draw a comparison?

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM

That's a good comparison, but IIRC, there was relative altitude and facings with that game.

Been a while, forgot about that. Have a PDF of the rules somewhere, with Starmada rules.

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games