Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Slippery Ice variant

After reading the thread on Strong Currents. I thought I would post a variant of Slippery Ice that we have used a few times (I know I've commented about using this in other posts, but I don't think I ever created a new post just for this idea).

When you step onto slippery ice instead of taking two movement you actually slip/slide until you hit something (i.e., run into a tile that isn't ice or any other object - glacier, tree, etc.). When you run into something that stops you, the movement is over -- regardless of if you had any movement spaces left. I quickly put together the example below.

If Finn stepped onto the ice he would either slide until he hit the glacier or the snow tile on the other side of the ice (blue arrows) depending on which direction he went. If Thorgrim stepped on the the ice, he would either: stop immediately, slide to in front of his brother, or slide to the snow tile next to the glacier (red arrows).

Of course you have to design the map with these rules in mind. You could have a long straight stretch of ice tiles that crosses the board to make it easier to get from the left to the right.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

KRUG! is surprisingly tart
Re: Slippery Ice variant

Thanks Retlaw, I like this slippery ice variant and intend to try it out on my next map with the tundra in play. _+ rep for you!

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I saw you're image in the Gallery and said to myself, "That's looks intriguing." I kinda like this idea. I do think that even on this Slick Ice the maximum number of spaces traveled should not be more than the figures move number. However, sliding right across the board might be fun too (or sliding off the board!)

Ahhhhhhhhh!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
I saw you're image in the Gallery and said to myself, "That's looks intriguing." I kinda like this idea. I do think that even on this Slick Ice the maximum number of spaces traveled should not be more than the figures move number. However, sliding right across the board might be fun too (or sliding off the board!)

Ahhhhhhhhh!
We played one map this way that had an "ice river" that went completely north/south across the board (start zones were at east/west ends of map). It was interesting as it allowed a quick way to move across the board and added a little more thought to where you left your figures between turns. Also you could place a figure next to the ice river and any opposing figure sliding by would get leaving engagement swipes as they went by.

The edge of the map would be an obstacle that would stop your movement, so you wouldn't fall off the board.

As said in the original post, the map has to be designed with the thought of the sliding ice in mind, but if done right, it can add a fun twist to the game.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What if you slid past another figure? Would you have the option of stopping to fight him or would you just keep going? And if you couldn't stop, would you take a disengagement strike?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
What if you slid past another figure? Would you have the option of stopping to fight him or would you just keep going? And if you couldn't stop, would you take a disengagement strike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
We played one map this way that had an "ice river" that went completely north/south across the board (start zones were at east/west ends of map). It was interesting as it allowed a quick way to move across the board and added a little more thought to where you left your figures between turns. Also you could place a figure next to the ice river and any opposing figure sliding by would get leaving engagement swipes as they went by.
Once you start sliding you don't stop until you run into something, so you couldn't stop on the way to fight someone and you would take disengagement if you passed them.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM

phantomclone has disabled reputation

Nice, a game mechanic from Soul Blazer, nice work!

Never smell what you can hear????
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Once you start sliding you don't stop until you run into something, so you couldn't stop on the way to fight someone and you would take disengagement if you passed them.
Of course if you slid into another figure then you could attack.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
I do think that even on this Slick Ice the maximum number of spaces traveled should not be more than the figures move number.

Ahhhhhhhhh!
On the idea of how far a figure could slide, I'd suggest that any figure sliding farther than their maximum movement roll for falling damage at the end of the slide. The damage would be due to the sudden stop at the end of the slide - either the glacier that stopped the figure or falling nose first into the ground when the ice stopped.

Interesting idea!
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM

These are really great ideas. I've included some of them in my latest blog entry. Can somebody please +REP Retlaw for me? I have got to spread the love around before I can again.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Alias, I'm wondering. How'd you get 5 bars of rep in less than 5 months?

It's just, so, shocking that it is possible.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Woah. I didn't even realize he was new... Cool!

Grinnell College '16

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions