Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!
The Guaranteed Average Rule

Greetings, everyone.

I'd like to share with you a rule that my friends and I have (occasionally) used which reduces the variance in the game. We call it the "Guaranteed Average" rule. This rule allows any attacking or defending player to choose whether to roll attack or defense dice or not. The idea is that a unit should be guaranteed to do its expected damage (or obtain its expected defense) rounded down.

Let me illustrate how this would work with an example. Suppose I were attacking your Izumi Samurai on the +1 defense glyph with a Knight of Weston. The knight has an attack of 3, while your Samurai has a defense of 6. I decide that my expected guaranteed average of 1 skull (1.5 rounded down) will (certainly) not be enough and so I decide to roll.

I roll 2 hits. Now, with your samurai, you can choose not to roll and get two shields and thus ensure the survival of your samurai (6/3 = 2). However, you may instead choose to roll to try to get counter-strike damage (a three or higher) on my knight. The choice is yours, but at least you know that if you whiff your defense roll, you'll have no one to blame but yourself!

Needless to say, this rule would not concern d20 rolls. In addition, we do not allow it to trigger special powers or abilities. Thus, if your Crixus got attacked with 3 hits and you took the guaranteed average for Crixus, it would not allow him to only take 1 damage: he would take 2. This is because he must actually roll one shield to trigger his defensive ability.

I'm presenting this only as a variant rule. I do not wish to have anyone think that it should be anything more than that. However, I do hope that you try it at least once before knocking it.

Last edited by Sarpedon; December 3rd, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: The Guaranteed Average Rule

Oh, my; that left us hanging.

edit: ah! there's the rest of it.

Sorry, I like the game of HeroScape, with the dice rolling and everything.

Last edited by Revdyer; November 26th, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't think I'm a fan of this. But if you guys enjoy it, have a blast. It seems it would eliminate the lone arrow grut's ability to take out the Deathwalkers.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Interesting Sarpedon. I consider myself a 'math guy' (that's what I studied in school) but I don't think I would play with this rule as (for me) it would take away from the spirit of the game.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!

Hello, A_Train.

Yes, it would. However, a Gorillinator (with its guaranteed shield) on the highest spot on a scenario would also negate any number of Arrow Gruts' ability to destroy him as well. You would have to keep that in mind in the draft and during play. You would have to draft Swog Riders and/or secure the attack glyph and/or the high ground.

Again, I don't expect everyone to approve. However, if you don't, giving it a try may change your mind.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker

No offense, but I think it's a terrible idea. If it works for you, that's great, but it opens a door to places I don't want to go. It also puts too much pressure on the defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Sorry, but I really like the strange things the dice do to the game. It can lead to some pretty amazing stories. Also, this house rule seems to me like it would slow the game down a bit, and mine can take a while as is (I usually play team games of 2-on-2).

Besides, since 80% of the Heroscape games I've played have been very close, I'd say that the luck factor does even out in the long run, so I don't see it as a problem that needs solving.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

I like the element of chance involved with the game. If I want a game without the element of chance I will play Chess or something.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Moved to Customizations.

~Aldin, who would play DW9k pretty much every time with that rule - how often do you see 4+ skulls?

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
has been BANNED

Hello, Aldin.

Thank you for transferring my thread to its correct forum. I realize that I should have posted it here. As for your comment about how often I see 4+ skulls, the answer is simple: rarely.

This is the point. As he is right now, DW9 is rarely drafted. Why do you think that is? Obviously because his survivability sucks. With this rule, he becomes playable because few units can pack a punch powerful enough to defeat his (guaranteed) average defense. The days of whiffing rolls can be history. It is no stretch to suggest that most attacks from puny common squad units should bounce off of the heavy plate armour of such a tank.

As for those who think it removes variance, I agree that it does do that. It does make the game more dependent on skill and tactics. It does make you more responsible for winning or losing. It does mean that, when you win or lose, it is more to your credit or more your fault. It does that.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My counter is that I enjoy the whiffs of the Deathwalker. And I think they stick in our head more so than they actually occur. I have no problem drafting DW9K, especially if my opponent has a lot of low hitting squads. He likely will fall eventually, but he can be very frustrating to attackers with 3 die or less.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
As for those who think it removes variance, I agree that it does do that. It does make the game more dependent on skill and tactics. It does make you more responsible for winning or losing. It does mean that, when you win or lose, it is more to your credit or more your fault. It does that.
Heroscape would become very much less enjoyable to many people if it were based soley around skill. As it is, skill plays a large factor in the game. Even with this, though, the game is still immenseley enjoyable. Why? Quite obviously, the dice that come with the game! Taking away that magic takes away, immensely, from the magic of heroscape itself, imo.

I mean, what's next? Are we going to make boards completely flat, and restrict each character to 1 move? And have a timer for each round?

Seriously, we already have chess. No need to take an awesome game and reform it into such.

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions