Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old July 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Too Human

While I didn't care for the Unreal skin initially, I found myself really interested in the way they'd imagine Norse mythology so completely into the armored soldier concept. Things like the Valkyrie coming to retrieve bodies on the field and the way the AEsir have been reimagined as a military organization really caught my attention. I guess I'm really just excited to see how it will play out story wise in terms of the trilogy. Baldur's a great character to focus the story on, despite his generally minor role in things. Ending the first game with his death, having the second game focus on a new character and conclude with Ragnarok and finish the trilogy with Baldur's return to restore the earth would make for a pretty great story.

As far as gameplay mechanics are concerned, there's plenty of good and bad. The right analog melee really sucks a lot of the personal aggression from combat. Holding a stick in a direction and watching your character hack away is pretty dull. Where the game really seems to kick into gear is when there's hundreds of enemies on screen at once. Dashing all over the place cutting your way through huge seas of enemies has a nice feel. I also really enjoyed the combat against the larger enemy that took a little more finesse over all. Air Combat is cool but looks a little clunky. I was having quite a bit of fun though when it all came together. Backpedaling with two pistols blazing until the horde closed the gap before I dove in to send bots flying all over the place had a great feel. Its sort of just a shame you can't change the melee combat to a button press. I think that would feel a lot better, even targeting would be a nightmare.

I'm also interested in getting my hands on the other classes (I deleted the demo before I found out about the time unlock thing Sad ). The Berserker class looks pretty fun among others.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
The gameplay is pretty heavily tied to the dual analog mechanic, but I guess that doesn't stop it from being played on a PC.
Yeah, they could've just as easily made it more appropriate for a keyboard/mouse control scheme - which worked fantastically for the Diablo series, which is basically what this game is, a sci-fi Diablo with a bit more action. That being said, if it was on the PC you could just use a 360 controller since they work just fine on the PC.
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

I've never understood it when people balk at the price of consoles but pay a lot more than that for upgrades to their PCs that happen more often than new consoles come out.

Anyway, Too Human seems pretty fun. I like the way the random drops and overall feel of the combat a lot. I think I'll favor one of the melee classes once they're unlocked and/or the real game comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:47 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

Actually that's a misnomer, I've had many friends who only just upgraded after 4 years of happy and successful PC gaming. I think what happens to create that "gaming urban legend" is that the high-end PC enthusiasts like to constantly upgrade to have the latest and greatest and then most console gamers see that and simply make the assumption that every PC gamer has to do that (or prefers to) - when the reality doesn't match that scenario very often.

Also console cycles waiver or vary between 4-5 years (keeping the purchase of a new console, roughly equivalent to a PC's upgrade cycle) and (thankfully) current PC upgrades are ridiculously cheap these days. 2 gig of memory (which whoops all over any console memory) is a scant 30-50 tops while the amazingly powerful 8800 GT is now around $130 and many Quad-Core CPUs are also in that range. It's incredible how awesomely cheap a killer PC is to build these days.

Just wanted to clarify, Jexik - and to fend off the fanboyism that could easily creep up here, I enjoy console and PC gaming but tend to enjoy the benefits of PC gaming more often than not, thus my slant.

But yeah, this is a sweet game that probably should've been multi-platform.
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!

AUG 19th. Release Date. Anyone picked this up yet? I have this on pre-order and will be picking it up on friday.

Old August 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoMan View Post
AUG 19th. Release Date. Anyone picked this up yet? I have this on pre-order and will be picking it up on friday.
I'm sort of balking on it myself. The reviews sound exactly like the game I played, so they aren't really a factor, but I keep hearing the story is broken up and not particularly great. Most reviews say its a great game for people who love to endlessly replay for loot drops a la Diablo II, but the actual narrative is a little weak. Considering I HATE loot drops in general and was really mostly interested in the game for the story and battle mechanics, I'm not quite as excited as I was before.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

I snagged this last night. I played a Berserker for about 2 hours. Had a lot of fun with it. So far as I can tell, there are a ton of loot options. Right now I'm working on a dual weilding, max damage build (as opposed to a max speed build). We'll see how it works. So far I'm killing many enemies on my first strike but come into a little trouble at the end of combos.

It appears to be basically what I'm looking for in a game right now: I nice looking, co-op, Sci-Fi, dungeon crawler. It's doesn't appear to be super deep, but the customization and weapon crafting should keep it going.

I was also jazzed to see that some weapons are socketed and you can customize them with runes. Also, the pre-order armor sets from GameStop are simply insane. You start the game off with them and they easily outclass blue loot to level 10. It's kind of a neat little perk when you re-roll.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I finally picked this up last Friday, Aug 22, although I did get to play 'til Sat due to work. I've played through all the classes to level 10 to unlock the "Jack of All Trades" accomplishments. So right now I'm focusing on my Human Champion and Cybernetic Defender.

Has anyone attempted to play online? I'm actually a little reserved bout playing online with a stranger/ I've read at XBox Forums that people will play with you until they get to the boss and then boot you to keep the loot for themselves. Another thing is people dont like to chat. I'm not too much of a chatter box online, but if you are more power, but I'm not anti-social.

If anyone is intrested in playing online here's my gamercard.

If you're not on my friends list already when you send a request or ask me to be freinds mention that you're from HeroScapers.

All the names I use are variation taken from several Myths of Baldr.
Balder- 10+ Human Berserker
Baldr- 10+ Cybernetic Defender
Baldaeg- 10+ Human Champion
Baldeor- Commander
Baldur- Bio Engineer

Last edited by PochoMan; August 27th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Windy_City_Hawk has disabled reputation

I just got the game on Monday (Aug 25th), and my enjoyment of it started at "it's fun" all the way to "it's FUN-TASTIC!" The game takes a bit of getting into to learn the different moves, but I think SK did a great job of blending action and RPG'ing into a pretty good game.

Now, of course this game is not perfect, but it is pretty good, and I feel it's above good for those who enjoy action RPG's. As for the story, so far (i'm about 75% done), and it's decent; I'll reserve judgment until the end.

I would give the game a solid 8.3, and that would go up significantly (very close to a 9) if SK is able to ptovide some tweaks via Updates to some of the minor issues that the game has!

P.S.
Hey PochoMan, I too have not been much into online, but have been considering going online with this game. My Gamer ID is Tek Knowledge G. I'll send you a friend request over the weekend.
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_City_Hawk View Post
Now, of course this game is not perfect, but it is pretty good, and I feel it's above good for those who enjoy action RPG's. As for the story, so far (i'm about 75% done), and it's decent; I'll reserve judgment until the end.
The ending is probably the best part of the story (IMO). It doesn't blow you away or anything, but it's pretty solid for a video game. The reviewers really skewered this game about it's story, but I found it to be alright (especially compared to the usually convoluted crap like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy).

My friends and I have been having a really good time playing it. It's a really solid hack and slash game.
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Master Custom Creator

I usually like to know the background story to a game I'm buying. I have to admit a month prior to release I had no idea what this game was about. I heard you play as a "god" and almost instantly I wanted this game.

Ever since getting 9and playing) this game, I started to look up material pertaining to Baldr, Ragnorok, etc... to furthur my knowledge of the Mythology dealt with in the game. I am a little disappointed though to learn that this is a trilogy and having varried a little from the "Ragnorok" mythos.

I.E. Hod is tricked by Loki into shooting an arrow of mistletoe (or throwing a mistletoe spear) at Baldr killing him. This is one of several events leading to Ragnorok. In which after Baldr and Hod are actually reborn and rule the earth together
But then again I don't know what the next 2 story lines will be.

If I had done the trilogy, I may have done something like...
Start off as an Wolf Soldier named after a human warrior who becomes a legend while under Baldr's command. Then actually play as Baldr and eventually be killed by Hod. Finally end up playing as several "gods" during the event of Ragnorok. End the series by Hod and Baldr embracing a new world for humans.

Of course this way "My Opinion Only".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_City_Hawk View Post
Hey PochoMan, I too have not been much into online, but have been considering going online with this game. My Gamer ID is Tek Knowledge G. I'll send you a friend request over the weekend.
Good to know. I may be on a little bit Sat and definetly Sun and Mon. I had a "schedule change" and have Mon and Tues off. By the way I work 3rds. So I'm a night owl and will play all horus at nights, LOL...

Old September 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

Well basicaly u are Odins son Baldur and you go one these quests to kill robots kinda, because its a threat to humans. Thats what the first one is and the boss is Grendal. The second mission is you go to kill the guy that killed your wife, and you do. The third mission is more robots on the searpent ship and you fight a big troll thing at the end. And the last mission is fighting zombies and at the end you kill Loki's daughter Hel.

It sounds short but the game actualy takes well over 12 hours to beat.
I have a level 34 champion who has beaten it one and half times almost and then a level 10 commando (balistics) and a level 6 armor guy.

The game is really fun and i like all the different items you get to customize your guy.
karl w a k is my xboxlive if you want to add me.
Did anyone else buy it?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games