Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Usheryeah367 Woo who?
Question Dry Brushing??????

Hey, I don't mean to act stupid or something but I want to know what dry brushing with paint means? Lots of Custom Heroscape Terrain creaters like Renquist say to dry brush the piece after the initial coat and I'd like to know what that is??

Thanks,

Usheryeah367

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM

StoneScorpion has disabled reputation
Re: Dry Brushing??????

Dry brushing is a common miniature painting method. Basically, you put paint on a brush, then you wipe off all the paint on a paper towel or napkin, then you "dust" the model with the brush. The paint that remains in the brush will very lightly coat the surface, so it doesn't override the main paint scheme. Great for detailing surfaces and adding illusions of texture

"What, like the back of a volkswagen?"
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker

I would explore this website for lots of specifics on techniques.

http://www.hirstarts.com/
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker

One thing I recomend is to pick up a set of toy soldjers then practice the meathod. That way you don't ruin anyting you have your heart set on.

Pete

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good suggestion, Pete. Maybe a bag of army men from the dollar store.
Dry brushing is primarily to put lighter paint on the raised portions of the figure, leaving the darker paint in the cracks and recessed areas. If you leave too much paint on your brush, it runs down into the recessed areas.
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Another good sugestion, use a bad brush, don't use your best brush.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM

StoneScorpion has disabled reputation

Yes, old brushes are the best, especially if its kinda thick, but frazzled

"What, like the back of a volkswagen?"
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart

I have tutorials for painting on my website if you want to check them out.
If I need to explain any of the techniques better then please let me know. Have a good one.

Link to tutorials

http://www.roguescape.com/portal/ind...ing/paintbasic

Here is the dry brushing tutorial:

This is probably one of the most simplest of special techniques that you can use to create a three dimensional look on your miniatures. But be warned, you are going to need to set aside a brush for this method, as Drybrushing will deteriorate the structure of the bristles. So it's a good idea not to throw away your old brushes, as they will come in very handy for drybrushing.
When you look at a miniature, certain parts of it are raised, and need to be highlighted to create the feel of depth. Such things might include amour plates and facial features. Basically, drybrushing can be applied to any area of a miniature that requires a highlight. So how is it done?
Well, to start with, you should have already applied your base coats to your model. Drybrushing is going to pick out the raised area of the miniature. So what you will need to do is choose a lighter tone of your base color. Once you have decided on that, follow these simple steps
  1. Dip your brush into the paint.
  2. With a clean piece of tissue, wipe off as much of the excess paint as possible, so there is only a trace left on the bristles.
  3. Carefully drag the brush over the area to be highlighted, so the paint on the brush will come to rest on these raised areas.
So there you have it. Piece of cake, really, isn't it? But take some care as to where you want the bristles of the brush to go. You don't want to be drybrushing something with orange, and accidentally get it on something that is green. You'll only have to patch it up again later. Once you r first highlight is dry, you can even go up to another lighter tone, and do the same process again, but applying the brush in a lighter fashion, to only pick out the top most areas.�
Here you can see that this Minotaur has a very hairy back. I decided to paint the hair black, and then drybrush it using a lighter tone. I used a mix of Chaos Black and Elf Grey, as Elf Grey was too bright to be painted on by itself. After this is dry I would then go on to use pure Elf Grey, with a lighter hand.�

Last edited by bad_calvin; June 30th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker

Probably the best source of cheep brushes, especialy for drybrushing is Makup brushes. Yep they are normaly high qualaty and the larger ones are great for dry brushing, sets normaly have a few smalller brushers that can be used for detail work even on minis. I pick up a set after christmas every year. {They come in a gift set so they wind up %50 off at Walmart} I have a cool set that comes with a travel bag so When I paint on the porch to watch the kids it is grab and go. Since the set cost about $5 wich is the cost of a single nice brush from the hobby store it is quite the deal.

Pete

Now watch I wont be able to find them any more.

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM

Usheryeah367 Woo who?

WOW thanks for the great info bad_calvin and Felindar for the cool brushes and instructions!!!

Thanks,

Usheryeah367

Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here is a link to something I made that utilizes lots of drybrushing.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Here is a link to something I made that utilizes lots of drybrushing.
I like it!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles