Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Animated avatar

I searched and searched but couldn't find help with this. How do you make an avatar animated? I noticed many of you have them, but I have no idea where to even begin. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!
Re: Animated avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post
I searched and searched but couldn't find help with this. How do you make an avatar animated? I noticed many of you have them, but I have no idea where to even begin. Thanks.
They are animated gif files. There are a few different tools available on the web, some free, some for $$. Some are better than others (of course).

I have a very old crappy tool that MS (info here) used to distribute...not even sure if they provide it any more (edit: they don't but you can get it here). (My current avatar was not made using said tool, but my previous one with the skeletal horse head was.)

The way that they work is like traditional animation; you have several files that each represent a stage in the progression of the animation and then the animating programs combine them in to one file that is then displayed frame by frame.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

As Cavalier stated you must make them yourself utilizing special software - I personally Use Photoshop which is way too expensive to justify buying simply to animate an avatar!

Another way to get an animated avatar is to find an avatar website Google: Free Avatars. Or, be really nice to someone like me that doesn't have 35 projects sitting in front of them!

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Malechi fixed me up with my current spin. Given the avatar I had to live through to get it though, I cannot recommend asking him for help

~Aldin, HeroMart greeter

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cool, this MS one works fine. Thanks, guys.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Quote:
Cool, this MS one works fine. Thanks, guys.
You're welcome.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Sorry, another problem - The .gif is apparently too large to use as an avatar, as it's 244x298 and 199 KB. I put it on photobucket and when I try to link to it I'm told the remote file is too large. I saved it as a .jpg but it's not animated once I do that. Any suggestions?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Sorry, another problem - The .gif is apparently too large to use as an avatar, as it's 244x298 and 199 KB. I put it on photobucket and when I try to link to it I'm told the remote file is too large. I saved it as a .jpg but it's not animated once I do that. Any suggestions?
Jpg's aren't animated, so that won't work.

One thing to do is to set the background color as transperant (I can't recall the setting terminology), it basically keeps that color from having to be created on each frame.

Another option is to reduce the amount of frames (which can impact animation quality)

The biggest key is to get your source gifs as small as possible as the final animated gif is the sum of each frame.

If you post the image I will try to see if I can take a look at it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

I know this kind of stinks, but I'm just practicing.

Maybe the picture is too large?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I animated mine myself!
Off of one I got from an Avatar hosting site.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM

There we go, the pic was too big. I think I'm good now.

EDIT: Now searching "animated avatar" brings up this informative thread, so something good was accomplished here.

Last edited by Soul Shackle; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Well done.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online