Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Strategies against Airborne Elite

I can't seem to find any threads on strategies AGAINST the AE. Can anyone help? They seem to give such a hefty advantage, especially on tall maps, that we're thinking of banning them from the game. I don't want to have to do that. If there's a thread I'm not seeing could someone guide me there? (Didn't see much of anything in the official Book.)
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Don't build tall maps? Build maps where the tall parts are avoidable. If they drop at a tall place and you stay out of their range, they can't do a whole lot. Draft people with longer range, like Syvarris and Q9 and Deadeye Dan, so that you can sit down outside their range and shoot them up. Draft Sgt. Drake, who they're not going to hurt too bad with their special, and who they can't touch with their regular attack until he's right next to them. And on tall maps, he can get elevated to get next to them. Pick flyers with tough defense to fly up and go after them (like Minions and Sentinels). If you build really tall maps, try to put a few spaces all together at the top level, so that your flyers can get adjacent to the AE. If they can drop in a way that denies a landing spot, you've built a map very much slanted in their favor. Depending on how tall you go, you can also draft Jotun and toss them down from height.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ok the AE have very low defence which allows them to be killed easily by higher attack ranged units. Here are a list of some units that could do the trick to kill them
Q9
Sgt.Drake
Syvarris
Sentinal of Jandar
Cyprein
Q10
Krav
Kaemon
EOV
and many more most of the time it has to do with the strategy you use. Unless it is the grenade special attack that you are having trouble with then it is how you lay out your starting zone.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If they don't drop early, you can also race fast units or sturdy fliers (sentinels, etc.) to the top of the hills. Since each rat protects the space he's sitting on and the six adjacent to him, it doesn't take many figures to really change the Drop picture for the worse.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
At the GenCon tournament last summer, markwars got the AE drop and the initiative on the first turn and threw four grenades right into my starting zone, killing seven of my 4th Mass (leaving me five alive). Then on my first turn I was able to Wait and Fire four of the 4th and they took out all four of the AE even though they had height. I think that illustrates both the strength and the weakness of the AE (aside from the "didn't drop all game" weakness). There's no real high strategy to dealing with the AE. Just shoot 'em!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Kaemon Awa. With his special attack he just pwns them! I don't know why, he just works

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM

Dumb Dwarf has disabled reputation
Aye, the AE are nice, but they aren't a dominating force in Valhalla. If you are considering banning them, the first thing I would check is are you playing only on maps that heavily favor them. Second thing is have the opponents been drafting counters to them. The third thing I would check is that you are playing them correctly. I kid you not, one person I played with thought the grenade special attack could hit everyone within range. He would tell stories about how the AE drop and it was practically game over.

As far as strategy, the biggest flaw with AE is that people tend to drop them in isolated spots, so they lack mobility, this means that any ranged unit can get first strike on them with proper planning.

Hope this helps.

DD

I just hope Aquilla doesn't summon me any time soon.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
Nilheim. After you kill the AE you got 110 points of kills, and then all you have to do is kill a unique hero and then you got your points worth.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Your advice has convinced us not to ban the AE.

However, we've established a couple house rules to accompany them. First, you can't roll for the drop until after round 2 (due to rdhight's advice). Also, we have an hourglass timer that I got out of a Pictionary game. After a round ends, you have 10 seconds to decide whether or not you want to drop. If you decide to roll and hit a 13 or higher, the hourglass turns upside down (it is a one minute timer). You have until the hourglass "empties" to place your figures. Any figures on the board must stay where they are. Any figures not placed on the board are not placeable and are considered "dead."

Adds a little twist, and it really speeds things up. Sometimes, we would wait like 5 minutes or more for someone just to place the AE after the drop!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Your advice has convinced us not to ban the AE.

However, we've established a couple house rules to accompany them. First, you can't roll for the drop until after round 2 (due to rdhight's advice). Also, we have an hourglass timer that I got out of a Pictionary game. After a round ends, you have 10 seconds to decide whether or not you want to drop. If you decide to roll and hit a 13 or higher, the hourglass turns upside down (it is a one minute timer). You have until the hourglass "empties" to place your figures. Any figures on the board must stay where they are. Any figures not placed on the board are not placeable and are considered "dead."

Adds a little twist, and it really speeds things up. Sometimes, we would wait like 5 minutes or more for someone just to place the AE after the drop!

wow for sure a iffy squad it sounds like ye sure are afraid of them...
the AE are nice to have but they're nowhere near that overpowered to install a no drop rule on first round...
actually that'd would unbalance yer opponent who has them as it basically elimates the whole idea of pulling the AE...

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriquez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle

wow for sure a iffy squad it sounds like ye sure are afraid of them...
the AE are nice to have but they're nowhere near that overpowered to install a no drop rule on first round...
actually that'd would unbalance yer opponent who has them as it basically elimates the whole idea of pulling the AE...

cheers
Rod
I think we all know that dice can affect your perception of a hero/squad. Pick Q10 four times in a row and get handled four times in a row and Q10 can go sour for you. Pick 12 Zombies and run through half an army with no casualties and you will be compelled to keep trying them. I've only been playing for about 2 and a half months, and have never seen the AE do anything but completely dominate. Maybe I just need more time to see them fail... I'll take your word for it that it's actually possible.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker
I love the AE. If they drop at a convenient time and you win initiative they are almost guaranteed to kill more than their points worth. The reason they are not overpowered is because they don't always drop at a convenient time and you don't always win initiative. With only 2 defense they get slaughtered by just about any ranged squad or ranged multi-attack hero.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles