Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
The Trial of Michaelangelo (by Boromir_and_kermit)

Okay, let's get started! This is the trial of Boromir_and_kermit's Michaelangelo.

MOST CURRENT VERSION BELOW:

Judges on this are:
GreyOwl
Johnny139
hi1hi1hi1hi1

Play test ideas:

Play test results:

Wikipedia article on Michaelangelo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_(TMNT)
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Alright, I know nothing about Ninja Turtles other than playing a few video games and watch a few episodes of the 2003 series, so bear with me...

Would Mutant really be the best choice for their race? This means they can, say, help Magneto, or get bonuses from most Professor X's. Is this intentional? Ninja Turtle seems a bit clunky, but it'll do. Laid Back personality... I see nothing wrong with that.

Below-Average Life, Average Attack, High Defense... sounds turtle like to me.

Double Attack - simple enough. Throw Insult (14)... I think you should either lose the quotes, or just call it Throw Insult. The ability really is quite thematic; but why do they lose attack? And the shortest path... what if the shortest path is off a massive cliff? It could cause some problems. Cowabunga is a VERY cool ability; I like it, can't find any major flaws.

Do you have a figure in mind? If so, he's gonna need a Hitzone. And the point cost... he MAY be a TAD undercosted, but only by 5-10 points. Other than all that, he's a great card.
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
How about just "Turtle" as a species? The werewolves just say "wolf" and I think they're sort of analogous...?
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM

fostorial is surprisingly tart
Great looking card! Small thing, at the end of Throw insult you've got a typo on initiative. Unless it's one of those American English things but I'm fairly sure it isn't.

Other than that, awesome!

HS Card Factory (Online applet) - A simplified custom making tool!! (Designed for java 1.6, may work with 1.5)
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ah, been looking foreward to this one. I love the work you did on all the turtles B_k. Couple of things though, specifically wording of Throw Insult.

Throw Insult 14 - After attacking, Michealangelo may choose any figure within 6 clear sight spaces. The choosen figure must have at least 1 Order Marker on it's army card. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, place an Insult Marker on the figure's army card. When the affected figure takes it's turn, it must move, taking the shortest path possible, towards Michealangelo, and attack him with a normal attack. The attacking figure must roll 4 less attack dice, to a minimum of 1 for this attack. All Insult Markers must be removed when rolling for intiative.

For Cowabunga you need to change the last sentence so it isn't so informal. "Cowabunga may be used in conjunction..."

Again great card, just some wording fixes.

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Corrections to the corrections:

Throw Insult 14 - After attacking, Michealangelo may choose any figure within 6 clear sight spaces. The choosen figure must have at least 1 unrevealed Order Marker on it's army card. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, place an Insult Marker on the figure's Army Card. When the affected figure takes it's turn, it must move, taking the shortest path possible, towards Michealangelo, and attack him with a normal attack. The attacking figure must roll 4 less attack dice, to a minimum of 1 for this attack. All Insult Markers must be removed when rolling for initiative.

Woah, I'm never using this formatting again. It makes my brain hurt.

And here's my suggestion for Cowabunga:

When Michaelangelo falls from a height that would normally cause him to take falling damage, he may ingnore this damage if he lands adjacent to an enemy figure and ends his movement there. If Michaelangelo would have taken falling damage, add 1 die to his attack. If Michaelangelo would have taken extreme falling damage, add 2 dice to his attack.

I don't see the appeal of only allowing the first attack to get the bonus, so I dropped the dice added and let it boost both. Every other normal-attack boost in the game will raise both attacks equally; why make an exception?
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
AAAKKKK!!! rdhight,I hope the red=bad in your "corrections"...

I'll give this a go...

THROW INSULT 14
After attacking, choose any figure within 6 clear sight spaces of Michealangelo. The chosen figure must have at least 1 unrevealed Order Marker on its army card. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, place an Insult Marker on the chosen figure's army card. On its turn, any figure with an Insult Marker must move directly towards Michealangelo, and if possible, attack him with a normal attack. The chosen figure rolls 4 less attack dice, to a minimum of 1 for this attack. All Insult Markers must be removed at the end of the round.

Better? Worse?

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby!
G'day guys,

Ok I have uploaded an updated card to reflect some of the suggested changes here.

Let me clarify and justify some things that have been brought up.

First let me address the use of 'Mutant' on Michaelangelo (and the rest of my turtles I have done). I chose 'Mutant' because that's exactly what he is, a Teenage MUTANT Ninja Turtle . I don't think we can let Mutants be dictacted by if they are Marvel (X-Men in particular) or not. If you really need a segway(sp?) you could justify it by saying that the ooze the turtles were exposed to alters their DNA to give it the mutant x gene.

In regards to Michaelangelo's Throw Insult. The affected figure moves in the shortest path possible towards Michaelangelo. This is because the figure has been severely offended/pysched out and wants Michaelangelo's blood. If this means that he jumps off a cliff to get there, too bad to the figure he should have been mindful of Mikie's ability. It could be that he was blinded by rage and charged him not see the cliff etc...

In terms of the loss of attack with Throw Insult, the figure is so enraged he attacks wildly and carelessly. An unfocused attack like that is easy to predict for a Ninja Turtle and so accounts for the loss of attack.

I have changed Ninja Turtle to Turtle as suggested.

I have changed the wording of Throw Insult to sound more official as suggested.

I also changed the last part of Cowabunga to sound more official and less 'laid back'

Cheers guys, what do you think of the updates (small but necessary) I have kept Cowabunga as written (with 2 and 3 additional dice) but would like opinions on whether to drop these by 1 each. It doesn't get used that often so would be nice to make a splash when it does, but open to opinions.

Cheers again,
Ben.

PS. There are a couple of miniatures in mind (some too big some too small) but I am also trying to sculpt a set of turtles that may be able to be cast and given away to those who are interested (depending on material cost) but more news on that as it comes to hand.

"Hi Ho, what new devilry is this?" - this may have been said if Kermit the Frog and Boromir were combined and set loose upon the world... probably not though.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
I like the throw insult ability as it adds alot of flavor to Mikey. I am a big fan of the turtles and it wouldnt be a Michelangelo without that ability as that is how he wins most of his matchups anyhow, insulting and letting people's anger cloud thier judgement and allows them to defeat themselves. The Cowabunga is interesting, that is what really gets your points worth in my opinion. And it gives a great ninja mental image to the card.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Savage
AAAKKKK!!! rdhight,I hope the red=bad in your "corrections"...
I'm not really sure what red meant. Sometimes I made the correction and made it red so he could see it, and other times I made the mistake red and left it. The language centers of my brain couldn't handle all the bold and red tags, and I choked. I'll leave it unedited as a warning to others.

Okay, on to content... I see some issues with Throw Insult. First, since you taunt the figure, but place a marker on the card, when you taunt a common squad, the figure that responds may not be the one taunted. Maybe intentional, but it's something to think about. I guess you could imagine that an enemy common soldier overheard what Michaelangelo said to his buddy.... "How dare you say that about the great state of Massachusetts!" Okay, it could work.

Next, the power places no limits on the number of Insult markers Mikey can place, nor do they come off after the affected figure takes one turn. So the enemy places all order markers on, let's say, the 4th Line. The Turtles get initiative, and he taunts them on his 1 marker. Now the enemy has to spend three turns kamikaze-charging Mikey and attacking with 1 die. Add in Leo, and if he actually gets any damage through, he'll get punished for it. Add in Splinter, and while he's wasting three turns, the Turtles will be bonding for six. And since any figure can be affected, there's not a lot you can do to counter-draft him. It just seems like it would take the fun out of the game. I make your guy jump off a cliff, it's funny. I make you spend an entire round jumping 12 guys off a cliff while I beat on you with hellacious double-turn attacks the whole time, it's not so funny any longer.

Third, I'd rather see Mikey get additional defense dice against a taunted figure than lower its attack. The interaction with Rechets and Maul is just too weird. Don't make those guys angry!

Third, environmental damage is not the killer app for this power by a mile. It's forcing the enemy to take disengagement strikes that makes it sick. Surround the enemy with Rats or Knights, and when the insult hits, you'll be rolling a whole bucket of undefended dice.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby! Boromir_and_kermit rolls all skulls baby!
Ahhh, that's right I remember this being brought up before. I think it was mentioned that Mikie could only use Throw Insult against a Common or Unique Hero so as to avoid this problem.

The power sticks until the end of the round. That is stated on the card. So if you assign three markers to the same person you are asking for trouble.
Perhaps I should limit Mikie to one Insult Marker and if he replaces it during the round, the original figure is no longer affected?? What do you think?

With these things clarified, before we choose new wordings for the ability to incorporate this, are there any objections to this decision? I agree that it needs to be clarified and I had forgotten to include it.

Cheers for the constructive critisism. Hopefully it has made Michaelangelo a better custom.

(As a side note, I would have loved to have all four turtles and Splinter up on TNT as they work really well as a team and would have been good to test together, but rules are rules so they will have to wait.)

Cheers,
Ben.

"Hi Ho, what new devilry is this?" - this may have been said if Kermit the Frog and Boromir were combined and set loose upon the world... probably not though.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Embraces the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir_and_kermit
Ahhh, that's right I remember this being brought up before. I think it was mentioned that Mikie could only use Throw Insult against a Common or Unique Hero so as to avoid this problem.

The power sticks until the end of the round. That is stated on the card. So if you assign three markers to the same person you are asking for trouble.
Perhaps I should limit Mikie to one Insult Marker and if he replaces it during the round, the original figure is no longer affected?? What do you think?
I think making the power hero-only or giving him one marker only would solve the problem. Heroes only would be my preference. It leaves open the possibility of having multiple cards insulted at once, but without the common squad problem.

Also, I think if you make it heroes-only, you should let him taunt figures with no order markers, and state that "When a figure with an Insult Marker on its card takes a turn" is when the power kicks in. Not every army puts order markers on its heroes. This way, if Red Skull, Ornak, etc. manipulates a taunted figure, he'll still go postal. If he can't taunt common squads or figures with no order markers, an orc archer army, for instance, would give him no targets because of the bonding.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations