Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Custom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladethorne View Post
Quote:
... childish rules of HeroScape...
Betrayer of HS!
Apparently the rules need to be very long and elaborate to make something not childish...like Chess...oh wait...there are way fewer rules to Chess than Heroscape...so that must be for preschoolers.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Anyone up for some Tic-Tac-Toe? I started playing that in the womb so I'm pretty good now.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladethorne View Post
Quote:
... childish rules of HeroScape...
Betrayer of HS!
Apparently the rules need to be very long and elaborate to make something not childish...like Chess...oh wait...there are way fewer rules to Chess than Heroscape...so that must be for preschoolers.
Go is for newborns.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:52 PM

SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy477 View Post
Maybe were too smart for our own britches, especially me and my friends, we do not like very simplistic games, we get very bored really quick, its not even an challenge.
Did anyone else find this sentence somewhat ironic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Go is for newborns.
...as are Othello and Backgammon.

"If winning doesn't matter, why keep score?"

Special Thanks to: stay_golden_PONYBOY, Browncoat, Onacara, King's Knight, Grishnakh, and Kenjib

Good Traders: capnfrank, heroscaper314, R˙chean
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM

Bladethorne is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

The thing is, the point of HS' simple rules is so ANYONE CAN CATCH ON IN A DAY! Maybe he should consider that next time he picks up a easy-to-learn game. Just a thought.

My sig would like to say that it is a sig. Let's all wave hi to the sig.
Can't find what your looking for? Try the Index.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderCoach View Post
Quote:
Maybe were too smart for our own britches, especially me and my friends, we do not like very simplistic games, we get very bored really quick, its not even an challenge.
I didn't find it ironic, but the grammar made my head hurt.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM

Bladethorne is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If that made your head hurt, then you've seen nothing yet.

My sig would like to say that it is a sig. Let's all wave hi to the sig.
Can't find what your looking for? Try the Index.

Last edited by Bladethorne; January 3rd, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's cause you are childish...like the rules
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation

Thank you, land.scape! Not only did you say exactly what was on my mind, but you gave some great feedback!

I like your 50%-blocked LOS rule. I actually just had a tournament the other day where this came up. ("Why does he get brush coverage when he's in front of the brush???") The only problem I could possibly see is arguments arising over what exactly is "50%." ("Come on--that's at least 70% coverage!" ~ "Are you nuts? That's 40%, at best!")

I like your addition of assumed drop speed. You don't have to count levels when a non-flying figure moves normally and falls off a cliff, so why with flying figures?

It seems like the main concern that you have is the ability for a non-flying figure to cross something that seems like it should be purely reserved for flying figures. Let's take your example of Brave Arrow using 7 movement to try to jump across a 6-hex-wide chasm (assuming that both sides are at the same level).
First hex: 0 movement before = +0 movement bonus; 14-20 = 35% of success
Second hex: 35% of success this roll X 35% from last roll = 12.25% overall success
Third hex: 35% x 35% X 35% = 4.2875%
Fourth hex: 35% x 35% x 35% x 35% = 1.500625%
Fifth hex: 35% x 35% x 35% x 35% x 35% = 0.5252188%
Sixth hex: 0.1838266%
Seventh (and final) hex: 0.0643393%

Is this too much? I don't mean to sound arrogant or snotty or anything--I'm just pointing out that any jump longer than 3 hexes has an INCREDIBLY slim chance of ever happening.
Ways To Limit Jumping Power:
~ I like the probability of around 1/3 of the time succeeding at a single-hex jump. However, this could be changed to a higher number. 15-20 = success?
~ I am intrigued by your limit of a jump to the base area of the figure--this seems very reasonable.
~ Another thing that popped into my head (which, at second glance, I don't know why I included in the first place) is that, for every subsequent hex jumped over after the first hex, your figured is lowered by one level. OBVIOUSLY, a person jumping over a ravine would not simply glide across in a straight line! This means that for every roll after the first one, you would have to subtract more and more from what you roll. Therefore, supposing that you get to that last hex of the chasm using Brave Arrow, you would end up subtracting 5 from your roll, meaning you only have a 10% chance of succeeding for that roll. I think this would be an effective alternative, but it would not be used in conjunction with your solution. And of course, if you end up not making it to the end level, you would have to climb the rest of it. Maybe figure out some way of determining from your roll if you can roll again for the next hex, but you must lower the figure's level? Perhaps, but not a favorite idea of mine.

Also, thank you Bladethorne for the appropriate/accurate comment and amusing/accurate picture!

~ If we knew the meaning of life, life would have no meaning. ~

Last edited by lxnrhinners; January 6th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:58 AM

land.scape is surprisingly tart

I recall something (think it was in the rule book) that if any issues arose that couldn't be quickly resolved, you rolled to determine who was right. So if a 50% cover dispute came to a standstill, you could let the dice figure it out. For our games, we generally go with if you can see, say, from the waist up or down. If there's a mix of obstacles blocking the target, we favor giving it the cover bonus if it seems close.

Your jumping math does make the case for it being a really long shot for Brave Arrow to complete a 6-hex jump. But just allowing him to roll for it seems awfully generous given the scale of the jump. I see each hex representing around 5 feet. The Templar Cavalry's hooves look to be about 7-8 feet apart by this scale, so I figure I'm pretty close to the mark. A 6-hex jump, even at thin odds, is still suggesting that he just might pull off a 30-ft jump w/o running. I'd figure 15 feet would be plenty generous, though I can't see the KoW doing more than one in armor. That's why I used movement speed to punish them.

Maybe you could say that a fig can jump a gap no greater than half their movement, rounding down and also requiring the 2-hex running start. That way, the 4-move knights could only jump one hex (two hex run-up, one hex to jump over, and the 4th hex ends their move), and Brave Arrow can try for 3 hexes, figuring it's about 15 feet. The 8-move cavalry could try four hexes. A 20-ft jump for them isn't too far in real life (lord knows how a fully armored knight would affect jump distance), so we're still about to scale. Using my dice modifier of fig movement (which gives a lower and I think fairer bonus to slow, 2-hex figs than your modifier), the cavalry has to roll a 6-20 once to succeed. I figure a 75% success rate, with failures leaving the horses on the third hex of the jumped space and movement stopped. You roll for each hex jumped, so the success rate drops to 42%, with a 1 in 4 chance that Trigger stumbles into the water on the first hex jumped.

Aside from modifiers and distance allowed, maybe it's just personal preference which roll method is better for a jump. I think one roll is sufficient as it keeps the game moving.

Good trades: Just_A_Bill x3, Gypsy x2, Django, outforblood, eternaldream, Gromazeka, Sup3rS0n1c, jordy40 x2, BobofDeath's Dad, CheddarLimbo, delphic, Jesusfreak13, Tysac, GeneralRolando, Frylock.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM

land.scape is surprisingly tart

I just came up with a possible weakness in my scenario. Brave Arrow could jump three hexes (counting the landing hex as one of them). If he fails he lands on the 2nd hex. So he and every other fig with a five or greater move can jump a 1-hex gap with 100% success. I need to knock around whether it bothers me that one hex of water doesn't have a chance to stop these figs anymore. Course, by my rules a fig uses up one space of movement to land a jump, so they at least pay something for the effort.

Good trades: Just_A_Bill x3, Gypsy x2, Django, outforblood, eternaldream, Gromazeka, Sup3rS0n1c, jordy40 x2, BobofDeath's Dad, CheddarLimbo, delphic, Jesusfreak13, Tysac, GeneralRolando, Frylock.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:07 AM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation

Hey land.scape, how about this?:

A figure can only jump up to as many spaces as hexes it traversed beforehand plus their base area.

This would basically be the same as only being able to jump half of their movement. I added in the base area part to still allow figures to try for a stand-still jump.
The thing is, just because someone has a high movement number doesn't necessarily mean they're moving fast. For example, if you were to make Brave Arrow only move 1 space, does that mean he is moving faster than a knight who moves 1 space, just because of what his card says?
Also, I think it's important to point out that you should be counting the number of hexes traversed rather than simply spaces moved. I don't think that climbing a 4-level cliff then jumping from the top should count the same in speed build-up as charging 4 spaces in a straight line on flat terrain. Maybe require that all preceding movement cannot be ascending in level (aka, going uphill)?

P.S.---Would additional movement still give the speed-build-up bonus from my original concept?
Also, in your jumping rules, you said that an entire jump (which I'm assuming means from the hex the figure is jumping from to whatever hex the figure lands on) counts as 1 movement. I'm still debating whether I like this idea or not. It would add more flexibilty to/likelihood of being able to move after jumping... However, flying figures must still count each hex flown over as 1 space of movement, even though they're not touching the ground--and isn't this basically the same thing? Or no, since flying figures must be exerting constant force throughout their flight, whereas jumping is only exerting force at the initiation?
Related to this, you said that one roll for the entire jump would suffice. True, this would make the game go much smoother. There's just one problem I have: multi-space jumps. How do you determine where you fall on a failed roll if you're only making one roll for the whole leap?
One last thing: is 1-13 fail, 14-20 success a good number? I just kinda threw that out there because of "unlucky 13." (:P) But is it accurate?

~ If we knew the meaning of life, life would have no meaning. ~

Last edited by lxnrhinners; January 22nd, 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions