Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 24th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericth74 View Post
I really enjoyed to 1st 2 podcasts. I'd like to add that the length doesn't matter if the content is good, which it was for the most part. I would also suggest to just sticking with two people to start with. Once you get 3 or 4 people on mic it's easier to go on tangents, talk over each other and lose conversation threads.

As a non-tournament player, I'm always interested in hearing about other formats that people play. Any favorites? Also I'd like to hear about best teams made from B- figures and under (400 to 500 pts).
Thanks for the feedback! We definitely have to work on talking over one another; cast size will usually be 3-4 people (especially because I'm already adding another full-time co-host). Hopefully it'll improve next time as I'm taking steps to be significantly more organized.

Thanks for the questions, we'll be sure to cover them! Thanks for listening!
Old October 24th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I really enjoyed to 1st 2 podcasts. I'd like to add that the length doesn't matter if the content is good, which it was for the most part. I would also suggest to just sticking with two people to start with. Once you get 3 or 4 people on mic it's easier to go on tangents, talk over each other and lose conversation threads.

As a non-tournament player, I'm always interested in hearing about other formats that people play. Any favorites? Also I'd like to hear about best teams made from B- figures and under (400 to 500 pts).
This is the feedback you guys need most. There is a small handful of players who will keep up with your high-level banter. If you're serious about this, and I believe that you are, then you and your co-hosts will have to go slowly.

What is the Reverse the Whip format? Easy enough to describe. So take a few minutes to describe it. Then you can spend a whole 45 minutes to an hour talking about different ways it can be implemented (one day or two day event; the significance of each) and the different basic strategies one might adopt in preparing an army for it.

Go slowly, and be accessible to players who you never met. That doesn't mean dumbing it down, it just means starting with something simple, moving forward from there, and keeping yourselves focused and building on one idea at a time. Build quickly if you want! But start simple, and stay focused.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 24th, 2019, 10:32 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:

This is the feedback you guys need most. There is a small handful of players who will keep up with your high-level banter. If you're serious about this, and I believe that you are, then you and your co-hosts will have to go slowly.

What is the Reverse the Whip format? Easy enough to describe. So take a few minutes to describe it. Then you can spend a whole 45 minutes to an hour talking about different ways it can be implemented (one day or two day event; the significance of each) and the different basic strategies one might adopt in preparing an army for it.

Go slowly, and be accessible to players who you never met. That doesn't mean dumbing it down, it just means starting with something simple, moving forward from there, and keeping yourselves focused and building on one idea at a time. Build quickly if you want! But start simple, and stay focused.
Amen to all this.

I've started listening to it, and I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm excited for when the kinks get worked out and it's a little more methodical. Thanks so much for doing this guys! I'm really excited to see where it goes.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 25th, 2019, 10:44 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I listened to both podcasts this week. I love how it uses terms that only hardcore tournament players or readers of the forums will get: "RTW", "splash", "meta", "Rats", and both usernames and first names of tournament players (Ken, Matt). However I think many listeners will not know these terms, so maybe a short "glossary" section of terms commonly used terms would be good to start the next podcast. That way you can still use the terms as part of your usual short-hand, but it won't throw off newbies for lack of understanding.

I really enjoyed the conversations about how the meta changed over the years, with release of jungle and melee friendly maps as well as RTW formats and the newer splash armies in the last couple years (although your conversation did not go in chronological orders). As for your talk of bad units, if Hatamoto Taro can be in a winning army, any unit can! The most controversial statement you made was {paraphrased} "If Q9 disappeared, Heroscape would not loose anything form the game." I am not sue I agree but I get where you are coming from.

P.S. I actually like 3-4 people on the podcast - it makes for more interesting discussions/debates and tangents.

Last edited by lefton4ya; October 25th, 2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:

Amen to all this.

I've started listening to it, and I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm excited for when the kinks get worked out and it's a little more methodical. Thanks so much for doing this guys! I'm really excited to see where it goes.
Thanks for listening! These first two episodes were definitely a test-run; the most important thing to us was finally just getting something out. There is a lot more on the technical side than I expected, from recording to editing to hosting. I hope you tune in next time to a new and improved CoV!
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I listened to both podcasts this week. I love how it uses terms that only hardcore tournament players or readers of the forums will get: "RTW", "splash", "meta", "Rats", and both usernames and first names of tournament players (Ken, Matt). However I think many listeners will not know these terms, so maybe a short "glossary" section of terms commonly used terms would be good to start the next podcast. That way you can still use the terms as part of your usual short-hand, but it won't throw off newbies for lack of understanding.

I really enjoyed the conversations about how the meta changed over the years, with release of jungle and melee friendly maps as well as RTW formats and the newer splash armies in the last couple years (although your conversation did not go in chronological orders). As for your talk of bad units, if Hatamoto Taro can be in a winning army, any unit can! The most controversial statement you made was {paraphrased} "If Q9 disappeared, Heroscape would not loose anything form the game." I am not sue I agree but I get where you are coming from.
Thanks for listening! I have a short terminology guide somewhere on these forums. I’ll put a link to it and some other important resources (power rankings, etc) in the OP.

I like using names of players when applicable because I think it’s beneficial for many reasons. First of all, it humanizes people. “OrcElfArmyOne” and “Infected Sloth” aren’t nearly as human as “Mike” and “Nathan”. It also helps prevent people from thinking some players are “gods” of sorts; while the best players are amazing, they’re still human and they still make mistakes. “Dok” and “Matthias Maccabaeus” are two of the biggest names in Scape, but they’re still just a couple guys that we enjoy hanging out with. (Also, if I can beat them, anyone can... )

We didn’t go in chronological order mainly because we had no idea we were going to talk about it.

I completely forgot I said that, but what a good hot take on my part. I hadn’t put any thought into that statement beforehand and haven’t since, but I’m pretty sure I agree with past Mike. I know some people like Q9, and while some might miss him, I think he does more harm than good for the game.
Old October 25th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Amen to all this.

Thanks for listening! These first two episodes were definitely a test-run; the most important thing to us was finally just getting something out. There is a lot more on the technical side than I expected, from recording to editing to hosting. I hope you tune in next time to a new and improved CoV!
I bet! Well, it's awesome of you guys to do it - so thanks for the effort you're putting into it.

BTW, whoever it was that brought up Eltahale during the Frost Giant discussion is my hero. Eltahale is legit.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 25th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Amen to all this.

I bet! Well, it's awesome of you guys to do it - so thanks for the effort you're putting into it.

BTW, whoever it was that brought up Eltahale during the Frost Giant discussion is my hero. Eltahale is legit.
Haha thanks, I think that was me. IIRC, it was during the Q10 isn’t much better than Frost Giant discussion, right? Eltahale is pretty strictly better than Frost Giant for fulfilling a very similar role.
Old October 25th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Amen to all this.

Haha thanks, I think that was me. IIRC, it was during the Q10 isn’t much better than Frost Giant discussion, right? Eltahale is pretty strictly better than Frost Giant for fulfilling a very similar role.
Yep exactly. So, I guess you're my new hero! Congrats.

Old October 25th, 2019, 06:51 PM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!

Loved both of the podcasts! Combined with the new 10 points under YouTube videos there is now a ton of new content out there that can help people improve their skills. My only complaint is that there was no mention of C3V/SOV units in either episode. Is this podcast only going to cover classic Scape? That would be sad if it was the case.
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
Loved both of the podcasts! Combined with the new 10 points under YouTube videos there is now a ton of new content out there that can help people improve their skills. My only complaint is that there was no mention of C3V/SOV units in either episode. Is this podcast only going to cover classic Scape? That would be sad if it was the case.
Thanks for listening!

We will only be covering Classic Scape, as that’s the way we enjoy playing the game. However, we recognize that many people enjoy using VC, and we hope that lessons learned from this will translate over to VC units as well, regardless of whether we specifically talk about any of them.
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I'm glad to see some Q10 hate since I think he's pretty overrated by virtue of being one letter away from Q9. There's a big difference between 7 and 5 defense and Q10 majorly suffers not having either.

Personally I'd love to hear even reactions to VC figures even if you guys don't play them, I think there's so much to talk about when it comes to new figures being released. But I can understand if you guys truly just aren't interested in the custom scene at all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion