Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old April 7th, 2019, 09:46 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'm also going to vote on Clayton. I'll try to follow along better in the Pre SOV Workshop.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old April 9th, 2019, 06:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Lilja by @Lamaclown

Lamaclown’s fingerprints are on every SoV card (as one of the founders of this project, he designed the logo that goes on the bottom right). 6 years after its original submission as an uncommon hero, Lilja is back and hopefully better than ever. Will Lilja make it through to Valhalla as the first design from our original set of judges, or will her hopes shatter?

Balance

Let’s try the Frost Giant of Morh for a balance check here: Both have 6 life and 4 attack, both have the potential for multiple attacks, and both have an ability that triggers on their destruction.

The Frost Giant gets an average of 1.33 attacks per turn compared to Lilja’s 2 (although realistically Lilja doesn’t always get to use both attacks). The Frost Giant has more speed potential and attack potential, though, and a more useful dying ability (since you get to choose where the wounds go, and can put multiple on the same figure). Its survivability is also better: once you get the first wound through on Lilja, she’s worse from then on out.

Lilja does benefit from Talingul’s activation synergy, but that requires you to shell out at least 200 additional points and goes a bit beyond our normal consideration in this space.

Overall, I'd say Lilja's weaknesses make for a decent comparison here.

Theme

I just LOVE the theme that comes across here. Lilja’s got two weapon-arms, and so gets double attack. The other two powers really sell the theme of glass getting weaker and then finally shattering into shards. No issues with any of the left box or right box stats, either. They’re just what you’d expect.

Creativity

Shatter Point is such a creative power, but it works so cleanly as a foil to existing Heroscape powers like Blood Frenzy or Wounded Smash. It’s kind of a no-brainer to make a unit that gets weaker as it gets wounded, so kudos to Lamaclown for doing that so well with Lilja.

Playability

I did the majority of my testing in Talingul builds. She fits quite nicely in three-construct builds: Boreos, Lilja, [xxxxxxx]*, and Talingul make a nice core that works at several point levels under 500.

In these armies, Lilja is helpful for her double attacking power. No existing construct can wound multiple figures in a turn for less than Lilja’s 115 points.

Shatter Point makes playing Lilja a bit challenging. With 4 attack, 5 defense, and 6 life, she has solid Menacer stats, but that can change quickly. Two wounds in, Lilja has 4 life and 3 defense. That’s quite a drastic difference, and makes Lilja have to switch into Shark mode rather abruptly.

Thankfully, having Talingul around makes it easy to activate Lilja with little risk, and Shards makes it profitable for her to run into a crowd so she can blow up when she’s destroyed. Interestingly, Shards can trigger on your own attacks in addition to opponents’ attacks. I never deployed this strategy, but it could be helpful against a swarm of figures that had disengage.

I was slightly worried about Lilja’s potential against low-attack commons. She is by no means overpowered against squads with an attack of 3, but I wondered how she’d do against M-43s or Arrow Gruts or Aubrien Archers. Turns out, once the first wound goes through, the other ones get significantly easier. I would still feel nervous against Lilja if I was only ever rolling 2 attack dice, but it’s still quite winnable if you ever find yourself in that situation.

Lilja didn’t always earn her points back, mostly because she’s pretty easy to tie down. She hates disengaging, so it’s sometimes worthwhile to use your other constructs to free her up to continue charging forward. But the potential is there, and she showed it enough times that I’m quite happy with her power level.

I also ran a few games with Lilja without other constructs and Talingul. It’s a decent option, but I’d probably rather take Kaemon Awa or Asterios.

*upcoming C3V unit

Summary

Lilja is a super thematic and creative design, and is a great complement to the existing constructs. I’m really excited that Lamaclown shared this design with us, and I vote to induct Lilja into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

------------------------------------

P.S. We miss you again, Lamaclown! Hope you're well.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

google sheets:
ohs link generator/attack outcomes

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

After some time, doing a few final touchups to Xundar's special and the Fiend's special...I'm back with the Shadow Faction. At their head is Xundar (primary submission) and his conjured shadows (3 common heroes, all secondary submissions).

Notable Changes:
- Xundar's special att moved to 3 with a conditional +1
- Fiend special reworked to be more unique for the faction to separate itself from the Hound, to make it more effective against Squads and mostly MORE thematic. Previous iterations were stronger but less thematic, creating a disconnect. These feel much more "together"

Bio:Taelord called out to halt the line of troops, something wasn't right. Marching on Vydar's forces in the middle of the night was supposed to be a tactical advantage, but the air was too still and his senses seemed dampened by the dark. "March on!" he barked, "but keep it quiet, there's something out there." As they took a bend in the road, pitch blackness awaited them; pooling and spinning in multiple forms. An eerie smile, lit only by the soft glow of a sorcerer staff, hung in the middle of the blackness as if suspended on it's own. "Welcome," it said "to my domain."

Xundar is the Drow Archmage from the D&D Rage of Demons line. All the common shadow figures are Reaper Bones: Shadow Demon, Shadow Hound, Shadow Tentacle
  • Balance
    Xundar: He's the army, plain and simple. Without Xundar, this faction falls flat. He's like unto other commanders that when they fall the army is less productive, but even without a commander the Ashigaru can fight well enough and the FE's without Kurrok are kind of a little army unto themselves and Elves without Ulginesh can do okay as long as they're near other elves. True to theme, the conjured Shadows fall away when their master has fallen. Hence I've made him fairly strong in his ability to move and command shadows in the same turn, but kept him balanced in high pricing, low defense, and a shorter range for his special to keep him from kiting the end game to effectively.
    Shadow Hound: Tank of the army. Holds the line, but without other Shadows around really struggles to produce, also because his power only activates on figures he was not engaged to at the start of his turn.
    Shadow Fiend: High movement allows this unit to be the shock troop of the army, swooping in to deal insta-wounds to distracted and unsuspecting "pawns" (squads) and then getting in a good normal attack once he's landed.
    Shadow Binder: These guys strictly act as the map controllers for this army. Their offensive output if very weak (maybe killed like 4-5 figures in the 20 tests I've done), but they provide a tactical advantage for this army that helps them to set up their powers as well as take an opponent out of position.
  • Playability Each unit has their own unique ability as well as one common thematic ability. All of their abilities tie them together, to their minis and to the theme. The abilities read easily, are understandable and operate as expected.
  • Creativity These units have easily been the most creative I've worked on. Something is just exciting about a conjuring Drow Sorcerer on one end of the battlefield sending his shadow minions out to take an enemy head on. Each unit is created unique and all play AND look good together. They all just FIT.
  • Theme Theme drips from the minis, the design and the way they play. Heck, look closely at the mini and you'll notice that Xundar's staff even has the SAME EXACT translucent purple at the top as the shadow minis themselves...just perfect. But yes, the cards powers all have theme roped into them tightly.
  • Accessibility Xundar's miniature is widely available for ~3-$4 with over 80 figures currently in market. All the Reaper Shadow minis are also widely available and currently in production directly from the manufacturer (Reaper Minis). You can purchase them off of their website for about $3-$4 a piece.

Playtesting Notes:
- Strongest builds around 500 have been: Xundar, Raelin, Fiend/Hound X7, Binder X1 though as points go higher it's worth adding an extra Binder and however more Fiend's/Hounds you can fit. Raelin is really good for these guys, but I've noticed she forces them to clump EVEN more than they already do and it can limit them. So it's worth adding in 2 more Shadows and Isamu sometimes instead of Raelin just to make sure you have enough figure count to last the game, cause sometimes extra defense is overrated (and sometimes not)
- Keep Xundar safe! That should go without saying, but 6 life and the ability to move can make you a little cocky...because once he's caught, he goes down quick. More so than any other commander out there, he's the weakest defensively AND his army hurts the most once he's gone.

Thank you for your consideration!
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Is that the point cost you're going with for Xundar? I know you were considering 140 earlier.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:

google sheets:

Old April 13th, 2019, 06:38 PM

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Is that the point cost you're going with for Xundar? I know you were considering 140 earlier.
Yes. After further consideration I realized his greatest value is versatility and in the event these pass and other shadows are created down the road, I wouldn’t want him to be underpriced if other additions came to the faction that made it more effective or “filled out”.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:41 PM
This is merely a joke.

Well my two biggest concerns last time around were the Fiend's SA and Xundar's SA, and both of those have been changed and my concerns addressed.

I'm slightly (only slightly) concerned about the Binder and his ability to move figures to low ground to get hit by two hounds. But that's a testing concern, and I'm happy to test for it.

all around.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:

google sheets:

Old April 13th, 2019, 07:22 PM

Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Shadow Cast looks pretty powerful. There's no upper limit to how many additional attack dice can be added by adjacent shadows, making it possible to roll 9 attack dice on a single spaced figure, and 11 on a double spaced figure. The likelihood of that setup happening successfully is quite slim, and I don't think it's over powered. The Tentacle can't help either, since it is restricted to opponents figures. I just think that it is interesting that their is no upper limit mentioned in the power.
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:28 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Shadow Cast looks pretty powerful. There's no upper limit to how many additional attack dice can be added by adjacent shadows, making it possible to roll 9 attack dice on a single spaced figure, and 11 on a double spaced figure. The likelihood of that setup happening successfully is quite slim, and I don't think it's over powered. The Tentacle can't help either, since it is restricted to opponents figures. I just think that it is interesting that their is no upper limit mentioned in the power.
Shadow Cast is a straight +1 if there's at least one shadow adjacent to the defending figure. Not +1 per shadow.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:

google sheets:

Old April 14th, 2019, 04:37 AM

Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Shadow Cast is a straight +1 if there's at least one shadow adjacent to the defending figure. Not +1 per shadow.
Yup, my reading comprehension has failed me.
Old April 14th, 2019, 11:10 PM

Old April 15th, 2019, 11:35 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

I like this much better. I still would have kept the special at a plain attack of 3 without the extra ornamentation; the +1 is rarely going to come into play.

to review Xundar and his shadow minions.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:59 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

I forgot to do this previously - going to be officially withdrawing Clayton Pierce and making a post in the pre-sov thread hopefully soon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs