Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:47 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

Thanks again to everyone for commenting on the Tagawa Samurai Cavalry. Here's my take for Aquilla for continuing this non-competitive cavalry cycle.

These are the Highland Dwarf Ram Raiders from Dwarf Wars. They are supplied unpainted and in packs of 10. Despite 5 figures being shown, this is a 3 figure squad.

NAME = Ramriders of the Gray Mountains
GENERAL = Aquilla
PLANET = Feylund
SPECIES = Dwarves
CLASS = Warriors
PERSONALITY = Wild
SIZE = LARGE 5
COMMON SQUAD

LIFE = 1 (3 Figures)
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 120

LANDSLIDE CHARGE
When attacking with a Ramrider of the Gray Mountains, if the defending figure was not adjacent to that Ramrider at the start of this turn and the Ramrider has height advantage on that figure, that Ramrider receives 2 additional attack dice.

MOUNTAIN SCALING 4
All Ramriders of the Gray Mountains may add 4 to their move value. This additional movement may only be used when moving up elevations.

HIGH GROUND DEFENSE
When a Ramrider of the Gray Mountains is defending with a height advantage, he rolls an additional defense die.

Aquilla has called forth her dwarven cavalry, wild warriors who recklessly charge into battle atop their ram steeds. With only light defense, they instead rely upon their surefooted mounts to rapidly navigate to higher ground before they come thundering down upon their enemy raining down stone and vengeance.

Like with classic cavalry and my continuing cycle, these guys are swingy units who are ultimately unreliable and not particularly good. They are an exaggerated extreme, capable of throwing down 7 attack dice and having 4 defense to fall back on. While 7 attack sounds like a lot for them, I feel a little okay with it since it is really 6 attack + height, something matched by the Templar Cavalry when they charge and smite. I am uncertain about the wording for Mountain Scaling, but I really like the idea of the power in making the rams slower than horses on even ground but faster once terrain is uneven or has an incline. Without having height, these guys are quite garbage but that is pretty consistent with how the rest of the cavalry function.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; January 16th, 2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added High ground defense.
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Very cool and probably better than the Samurai for their Height acquisition abilities, but why is their Species Human?? Eldgrim takes great offense to that.

~TAF

P.S. Maybe you could make a Sir Dupius style Dwarf hero with one of those extra guys pictured?

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; January 12th, 2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: No
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Very cool and probably better than the Samurai for their Height acquisition abilities, but why is their Species Human?? Eldgrim takes great offense to that.

~TAF

P.S. Maybe you could make a Sir Dupius style Dwarf hero with one of those extra guys pictured?
Thanks for catching the mistake. Copy-paste writing will catch up with you eventually . They might be better than the Tagawa Samurai, although it really depends on the map and matchup. These guys are monsters when they have height and charge down but are otherwise strictly worse once engaged.

Good idea for making a dwarf hero with the extra. I'll think about it. When I was searching for these guys, I found another squad (probably unique) that I want to do at some point. They didn't fit in my cycle but I want to do them eventually.

Spoiler Alert!
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Very cool indeed! It'd definitely be a crime not to make those guys a card--they're so sick looking!

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Call in the Cavalry

It's a neat idea but I do think you'll find them even more fragile than any of the other cavalry units even with Scaling helping them gain height. I do wonder if giving them Scale would be a good call or not.

On Scaling, you might want to use some variant of a power that came up when discussing C3G's Expert Climbing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok from the Doctor Octopus book View Post
EXPERT CLIMBING
When moving onto a space with Doctor Octopus, when moving up levels of height, do not count the first two levels and only count one movement for each two levels after those first two. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 5 when climbing.
It might not be exactly what you are looking for but could be gerrymandered into what you want.

~Dysole, feedbackingly
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:24 AM

Re: Call in the Cavalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
It's a neat idea but I do think you'll find them even more fragile than any of the other cavalry units even with Scaling helping them gain height. I do wonder if giving them Scale would be a good call or not.

On Scaling, you might want to use some variant of a power that came up when discussing C3G's Expert Climbing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok from the Doctor Octopus book View Post
EXPERT CLIMBING
When moving onto a space with Doctor Octopus, when moving up levels of height, do not count the first two levels and only count one movement for each two levels after those first two. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 5 when climbing.
It might not be exactly what you are looking for but could be gerrymandered into what you want.

~Dysole, feedbackingly
Thanks for the feedback. You're likely right about the defense. I want to make the cavalry all about as bad as the Templars and Groks, but not necessarily worse. As far as their defense goes, I think I still want to keep them at base 2 since the miniatures are so lightly armored but I am contemplating giving them an extra defense boost on height and how I'd want to word that.

I actually kind of like how mountain scaling works right now, although I will consider rolling in Scale as part of the same power as well so they can mount heights of greater than 5 in a movement. I am thinking add the same number to their height, making them height 9 and giving them just enough move to climb up 8 spaces in a single go (since they are double spaced).
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:56 PM

Here's another one for Jandar. This is expanding on his "cold" faction.

The miniature is the Winter Wolf used from Pathfinder Miniatures - Reign of Winter

NAME = Thaelenk Wolf
GENERAL = Jandar
PLANET = Valhalla
SPECIES = Wolf
CLASS = Hunter
PERSONALITY = Ferocious
SIZE = LARGE 4 (Double Based)
UNCOMMON HERO

LIFE = 3
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 5
POINTS = 85

HOWL OF THE PACK
After revealing an order marker on this Winter Wolf's Army Card, after taking a turn with this Winter Wolf, you may reveal an "X" Order Marker on this Army Card and take a turn with up to 2 other Winter Wolves you control. Any Winter Wolf that is taking a turn must be within 8 spaces of this Winter Wolf prior to its movement.

ARCTIC BREATH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3. Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by the Arctic Breath Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Thaelenk Wolves are not affected by Arctic Breath Special Attack.

SNOW AND ICE ENHANCED MOVEMENT
Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space when moving.

The Thaelenk Wolves are able to fight together in a pack, occasionally releasing a howl to call forth more from their pack and overwhelm their opponents. They are otherwise built for the cold between being able to quickly navigate the icy tundra and unleash the arctic upon their prey with their breath.

This is a wolf-pack exploration of having some uncommon hero synergy. It is fairly overt and allows for two extra turns to be taken with the winter wolves. They are otherwise moderately tough and can punish clustered figures with their special attack. D&D Winter Wolves traditionally tend to the evil side so I made them Valhallan to allow them to work for the otherwise good Jandar. The White Wyrmlings get away with it so I could swing it by putting them on Eberron or something but I'd just rather not deal with that.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; January 21st, 2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: updates
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

A nice, tough puppydog for Jandar! Do you have pet names for them in play?

A pretty cool idea with the pack, though I think it might make them fairly restrained to sitting in a group. 8 spaces is a pretty big radius, but I don't know if they're tall enough to reliably see over ledges and stuff. They are labeled as 4 high after all.

I really can't comment on the breath attack, I don't know anything about what DnD wolves are capable of actually doing. It does mean that only the first wolf gets to use it if the trio is hunting a rather dangerous enemy, as it can potentially hurt the rest of the pack.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:51 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Perhaps "Winter Wolves are not affected by Cone of Cold SA?"
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Ramriders of the Gray Mountains
Love the minis. I do like the focus around height advantage you gave them. It gives them a unique, mountain-guys feel. I think you went too far with Landslide Charge, though. A total of 7 attack dice is nuts for a squad, even with all the conditions on it. A +1 would be plenty sufficient. Mountain Scaling is a great way to handle the "better climber" issue that has plagued many a custom creator. Clever solution.

Winter Wolf
The name is a little tame, but not name bad. I like how you made this an Uncommon that synergizes with others of its kind; that's a little-used design space. Overall a pretty solid unit, with a nicely rounded set of attributes and abilities for the price.
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:02 AM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

I have often thought of a winter-wolf, and for me my first encounter with such is 1st Edition AD&D. They are evil there and often found with frost giants. (But so are White Dragons Evil in AD&D... just don't tell Nilf that ) I would probably have some affinity with Frost Giants myself because of that.

Not a knock, just sharing my thoughts.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for commenting! I've made a few changes to the wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
A nice, tough puppydog for Jandar! Do you have pet names for them in play?
I don't, but it should be noted that there are a few other winter wolf miniatures out there that could be used as alternate sculpts. Having names for each one would work pretty smoothly in that case.

Quote:
A pretty cool idea with the pack, though I think it might make them fairly restrained to sitting in a group. 8 spaces is a pretty big radius, but I don't know if they're tall enough to reliably see over ledges and stuff. They are labeled as 4 high after all.
That's an interesting point. Maybe I'll drop the sight restriction to make it work. It's a howl after all so they should just be able to hear it in the first place.

Quote:
I really can't comment on the breath attack, I don't know anything about what DnD wolves are capable of actually doing. It does mean that only the first wolf gets to use it if the trio is hunting a rather dangerous enemy, as it can potentially hurt the rest of the pack.
That's a good point and not something that I want to have for the build. Traditionally D&D winter wolves are immune to cold so don't need to fear the breath of their compatriots. I'll take @IshMEL 's suggestion and make all of their kind immune to the SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
A total of 7 attack dice is nuts for a squad, even with all the conditions on it.
Yes, but it really is the same as the Templar Cavalry charge and smite with height. It just feels a bit stacked since it only works in the fully charged state. I'll stand by it since they are also the worst defensively.

Quote:
Mountain Scaling is a great way to handle the "better climber" issue that has plagued many a custom creator. Clever solution.
I'm glad to hear that you like it. I'm pretty proud of that one.

Quote:
I like how you made this an Uncommon that synergizes with others of its kind; that's a little-used design space.
That is a space that I'm interested in exploring more as well. I drew inspiration from Van Nessing for their pack howl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
I have often thought of a winter-wolf, and for me my first encounter with such is 1st Edition AD&D. They are evil there and often found with frost giants. (But so are White Dragons Evil in AD&D... just don't tell Nilf that ) I would probably have some affinity with Frost Giants myself because of that.
They don't necessarily go with Frost Giants but they can being evil creatures that live in the same climates and speak the same language. Between their questionable alignment and their otherwise lackluster name, I decided to switch them over to being Valhallan wolves instead and changed their name.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards