Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old October 23rd, 2020, 04:31 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 2] Nahiri, Fury in Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
What if she's always considered huge?
That would certainly be one way to do it, although it begs the question of why she's not just Huge instead of Medium. I don't like how that would be a power that exists solely to thematically justify something that is otherwise mechanically identical to just making her Huge instead of Medium.

I also like how this version of the power feels slightly different than just being huge, because she can still benefit from medium synergies on friendly cards.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 04:36 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Quote:
During any figure's turn, you may choose to treat Nahiri's size as Huge for any special powers on enemy army cards for the remainder of the turn.
I realize this doesn't completely solve the timing issues, but I think it would probably greatly reduce the number of edge-cases?
This does not address the timing issues I wrote about previously. It also doesn't solve the memory mechanic. It even includes all the problems that a "start of turn" version would have, since the decision could be make at the start of a turn.

Allowing the decision separately for each power, ironically, solves all these problems, but does make it weird thematically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
What if she's always considered huge?
I thought of that. Then just make the size value Huge. Of course, that begs all sorts of thematic questions.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 04:55 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So how about:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
You may treat Nahiri's size as Huge for any special powers on enemy army cards.
That should clear up many of the edge cases regarding timing, as I'm guessing it would be relatively rare for her to be affected by two different enemy abilities that care about size at the same time.

If that still doesn't work, I think we could safely go with:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Treat Nahiri's size as Huge for any special powers on enemy army cards.
Always on, but functionally different from just making her Huge instead of Medium since she can still benefit from friendly Medium synergy. I would prefer for her to be able to pick and choose what enemy abilities she's considered to be Huge for, but if that's too difficult to make work I think this might be a viable alternative?
Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:43 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
So how about:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
That should clear up many of the edge cases regarding timing, as I'm guessing it would be relatively rare for her to be affected by two different enemy abilities that care about size at the same time.

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Always on, but functionally different from just making her Huge instead of Medium since she can still benefit from friendly Medium synergy. I would prefer for her to be able to pick and choose what enemy abilities she's considered to be Huge for, but if that's too difficult to make work I think this might be a viable alternative?
The second means she's susceptible to enemy powers that affect Huge, like Giant Killer. I don't think there's any problem in allowing the owner to choose which, though like I said, I haven't thought through everything yet.

I also don't think it's a problem that the owner can choose for friendly powers either. It does cause thematic oddities like the theoretical situation I described, but sometimes it's best to remember the phrase "game not simulation."
Old October 23rd, 2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
So how about:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
The second means she's susceptible to enemy powers that affect Huge, like Giant Killer. I don't think there's any problem in allowing the owner to choose which, though like I said, I haven't thought through everything yet.

I also don't think it's a problem that the owner can choose for friendly powers either. It does cause thematic oddities like the theoretical situation I described, but sometimes it's best to remember the phrase "game not simulation."
Gotcha. Personally I'm fine with a little bit of thematic oddity, especially if its relatively rare to even come up. Thanks for taking the time to think through it with me, and for bearing with all of my different suggestions
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:02 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I'd rather we didn't just make her size Huge - I'd dislike that so much I'd just prefer to drop it entirely if we can't make it work otherwise.
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I don't actually have a problem with the below, outside of feeling weird because it's never been done:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
You may treat Nahiri's size as Huge for any special powers.
Playing Nahiri going to be like:

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I'd rather we didn't just make her size Huge - I'd dislike that so much I'd just prefer to drop it entirely if we can't make it work otherwise.
I agree. However, I'm hopeful that this will prove to be workable.

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:32 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Yep, I think that'll work if it's feasible for editing. I don't mind her being able to "switch" it on and off like in the example Scy described.
Old November 30th, 2020, 08:58 PM

Okay, it's been a minute since we ironed out the wording for Aspect of the Dragon, so with that update I think we're looking at the following design:

Quote:
Katryn Vade
Icarian
Unique Hero
Champion
Devoted
Medium 5

LIFE 5
MOVE 5 / BASIC
RANGE 1 / BASIC
ATTACK 5 / BASIC
DEFENSE 3 / BASIC

140 POINTS

DRAGONHEART BLADE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by Dragonheart Blade Special Attack. Squad figures roll 1 less defense die against Dragonheart Blade Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Katryn Vade cannot be affected by her own Dragonheart Blade Special Attack.

OATHSWORN GUARDIAN
After attacking with Katryn Vade, if she is adjacent to a friendly Unique Hero, she may attack one additional time with her normal attack.

ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
How are we all feeling about this draft? Are there any other changes that we should consider before moving on to the Public Feedback phase? Personally I'm happy with where this design has ended up; seems like she'll be a very fun glass cannon, and I really like how Aspect of the Dragon offers a bit of counterplay within the Master Set to Ozuul and Dienekes.
Old November 30th, 2020, 09:17 PM

I think this'll work out. Good draft.
Old December 1st, 2020, 03:30 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

to moving to Public Review.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs