Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old September 14th, 2018, 10:04 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Space themed dungeon tiles

I finally have a 3D printer and I have long been entranced by the beautiful dungeon tiles people print. I opted to go for a space theme as it is something I don't really have in the heroscape world. Some place for all these robots and agents to operate.

I finally settled in on what I want to print and this is what I have thus far. I need to print at least 10x this amount, but I am off and running.

I picked out my walls almost straight away, I really wanted a dark Aliens style feel. So I am going with these walls:
https://www.printablescenery.com/pro...paceship-wall/

I was most undetermined on the floor pieces and printed about 6 different ones until I settled on a pretty impressive free set:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2984572

When it comes to decoration, or scatter terrain as they call it, there are so many options its overwhelming. Once I have the base generated I will easily fill it with awesome looking extras.

A really important detail for making this work for Heroscape is that dungeon tiles are designed around a 1" grid, which is just way to small. For this reason I have increased the size of walls and floors all by 50%, making my grid 1.5". As you can see in the photo the figures fit nicely. And I think it just makes the whole thing feel that much more impressive.

This does mean each print takes 2x as long (about 2 hours for a 2x2 tile). 3 walls takes almost 12 hours. This does of course mean lots more plastic as well, so I expect to burn through 4-5 spools to make this happen.

And at some point I will get to paint this stuff, which will be a fun adventure and really bring it to life.

My plan is to basically keep the rules of scape exactly the same. with the squares I plan to allow diagonal movement and space counting. Line of sight will be a huge deal in the corridors and rooms and should really change game play. I am hopeful that things are really tactical as ranged vs non-ranged figures work to maximize their use.

I will post updates from time to time.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:09 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Space themed dungeon tiles

In case anyone is interested, these are the 5 floor tiles I tried. I settled on the top left one for many reasons:

- A very robust set of tiles (full openlock array plus 3 additional heights for elevation).
- Super efficient use of filament, they have custom infill that is insanely efficient.
- Clearly marked grid
- Full use of openlocak connectors (some styles have limited connections)

Here are all the ones I tried.

The top right one was from a paid set, all the others are free. The bottom 3 have crazy thick top layers and would have used excessive amounts of material to print.

The thing in the top is another set from printablescenery that I gave up on. Instead of printing walls and floors its pre-made room and corridor sections. The scale is wrong though, so it wouldn't work with other openlock stuff once scalled. also the rooms they sell for this set won't fit my printer once scalled up. Not to mention this is a much more limited way to build. I like the free form walls/floors.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:17 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Ooooh! I like these a lot! That would be cool to have an entire spaceship map.
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Thats my mission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Ooooh! I like these a lot! That would be cool to have an entire spaceship map.
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:36 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

These look great mcmeeple. Another way to do square tiles that look like your preferred one is to use crochet mesh topped on 1/8 inch plywood and painted metallic. It looks like the same consistency as that. It might save you some time and allow you to spend your print time on all those beautiful scatter terrain pieces. I know how long it takes to print things andif you cut the tiles out of the equation youd have loads of time to print the cooler stuff. Thanks for sharing. Love seeing stuff that could be used for star wars.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 14th, 2018, 01:07 PM

The cross over to Star Wars is a huge motivation. I haven't shown all those customs to my son as he might lose his mind and drive me to spend way too much on minis. But that will come for sure, because its going to be a great fit.

It will take a long time to print all this, but I am ok with that. The quality will be awesome and it will connect and stay connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
These look great mcmeeple. Another way to do square tiles that look like your preferred one is to use crochet mesh topped on 1/8 inch plywood and painted metallic. It looks like the same consistency as that. It might save you some time and allow you to spend your print time on all those beautiful scatter terrain pieces. I know how long it takes to print things andif you cut the tiles out of the equation youd have loads of time to print the cooler stuff. Thanks for sharing. Love seeing stuff that could be used for star wars.
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:16 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

The walls look great! The floors are cool looking too but does that mean you are going to do away with the hex pattern boards? How much move to go diagonal, 1 or 2?
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
The walls look great! The floors are cool looking too but does that mean you are going to do away with the hex pattern boards? How much move to go diagonal, 1 or 2?
I was planning to try allowing diagonal movement at the same cost. Unless doing so crosses a corner with a wall intersecting it. But I need to test it more to see if its a problem. So far its just fine.

In some quick play testing the walls greatly limit visibility and really change the dynamic. Its a fun variation from our typical wide open board. Ranged is still good, but non-ranged attackers can find more ways to get in for the kill.
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I saw diagonal movement on a square grid done as every other one (starting with the first) counted as two moves (or left then up for moves to the up/left diagonal). It comes out almost identically to the straight line movement up as far as the 12 squares or so that I checked.
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:15 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Or the first diagonal move is one space, then every other one thereafter costs two moves.
Old November 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM

About 2 months later and I am still printing my 3D space ship! My how it has grown though, and I am almost done printing...next is to pick the painting back up and finish it. Goal is to have it done by Jan 1 for an annual family Heroscape game day.

Some fresh photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AhhTTv8DPPE6Kkrb7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1zS9HpKmX7v2Bk8U9

Last edited by mcmeeple; November 13th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old November 13th, 2018, 02:36 PM

We have had no trouble with diagonal movement. The spaces are closed in and it doesn't really seem to have an adverse effect. We tried different restrictions on it, but ultimately we didn't like the added complications...so we just allow it and don't worry about it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles