Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings

I think 5x Minions is creative and ironically unique.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post
I think 5x Minions is creative and ironically unique.
As do I... And it is all very slow moving melee with no ranged support whatsoever... Not easy to pull off even with high defense. It would be fun to throw in some Sentinals of Jandar... then you'd have The coalition of Angels & Demons.

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I can't think of another army I enjoy playing more than the 3x glad/blast and Raelin army I took to the one tournament I've played in. In the one tournament I hosted, the game of the day was a matchup between 4th Line x4/Cap and a pile of unique range with Q9, Kaemon, Krav and rats. It was a great game-- came down to one minuteman and Otonashi, with the Americans finally coming out victorious.

I don't enjoy playing bad units more than good ones. I don't enjoy playing against bad units more than against good ones.

The reason I went to that tournament in the first place is because I wanted to face the strongest army my opponents could come up with. I can play goofy single-general themed armies in the privacy of my own home. Right now, at my game table, there are a bunch of pre-set armies I made to play with my family. There's an all-ghostwalking army, a Grok Rider army, an all-melee Sujoah/WSG army, Elf Wizards, all kinds of stuff like that. I'll have fun playing them, but don't expect me to let tourney opponents off easy because of that! At a tourney, I want you to hit me with your best shot, and I'm going to do the same.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Off by a little. Plus a typo.

iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker

Ninjas are still in the lead.

Valhalla's Darkest Hour: Custom Wave 3 and March of Shadows: Custom Large Expansion 1 coming soon.
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3317 View Post
Ninjas are still in the lead.
...That poll has pretty much no relevance now since both articles are already out.
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Could we boost the minions to an A! I have seen what they can do, multiple times, and I believe the only thing holding them back is the slow normal move.They are a really great unit for their points.
Just ask Ollie, he loves what they can do, and has used them very well in multiple tournaments.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with Shades fan here. I have felt the wrath of Ollie's Minions in two different tournaments and they seem very competetive.
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Minions are tough, both offensively and defensively, for sure. But their slow move, lack of range, and lack of special attack seems to hold them down against a lot of armies - at least in my experience. I could see A- being fair for them, personally.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I saw Codeman play 5x Minions at a 550 point tourney in Minnesota. His army was voted 'most unique and interesting army' by the players there.
It doesn't sound like people were very creative at that tournament. Were all the other armies made of A/A+ units or something?
Quite the contrary actually. Lots of people picked the Krav, but they didn't all do well. Take note of tchop's 5th place army, which he made up 5 minutes before his first game. He's a baller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang View Post
Here are the final rankings:

1. Phoid 5 wins, 0 losses - +1330pts - Q9, Laglor, KMA, Raelin, and 2x DeathReavers

2. Wytefang 4 wins, 1 loss - +1400pts - 2x Gladiatrons, 3x Blastatrons, KMA, and Sgt. Drake Alexander (1st ed.)

3. Kaboomboomboom4 wins, 1 loss - +1320pts - Q9, 3x 4th Mass, 2x DeathReavers, Raelin (1st ed.)

4. Jexik 4 wins, 1 loss - +1210pts - Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Marro Warriors, Nilfheim, and 3x DeathReavers

5. Tchop - 4 wins, 1 loss - +550pts - Sgt. Drake Alexander (2nd ed.), Tornak, 1x Heavy Gruts, Kazuke Samurai, and KMA

6. 4 wins, 1 loss - +540pts - Sgt. Drake Alexander (1st ed.), Q9, KMA, Tarn Viking Warriors, Ninjas of the Northern Wind

7. Codeman - 3 wins, 2 losses - +695 - 5x Minions of Utgar

8. Slade - 3 wins, 2 losses - +310pts - Q10, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Ne-Gok-Sa, Me-Burq-Sa, 3x Roman Legionnaires, and Isamu

9. Codeman's son - 3 wins, 2 losses - +300pts - Concan, Thorgrimm, Finn, Eldgrim, Izumi Samurai, 3x Knights of Weston, and Isamu

10. Nefarious Krime Dawg - 3 wins, 2 losses - +230pts - Tor-Kul-Na, Su-Bak-Na, Me-Burq-Sa, and 4x Marrden Nagrubs

11. cfursa's nephew 3 wins, 2 losses - +200pts - Tagawa Samurai, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonlen, KMA, and Isamu

12. D-man - 3 wins, 2 losses - +190 - Marro Hive, and 6x Stingers

13. cfursa - 3 wins, 2 losses - -80pts - Raelin (1st ed.), Me-Burq-Sa, 2x Marro Stingers, Iskra Esenwein, Rechets of Bogdan, 4x Marro Drones

14. 3 wins, 2 losses - -120pts - Nilfheim, Q10, Airborne Elite, 1x Swog Rider, 2x DeathReavers

15. 3 wins, 2 losses - -330pts - Kaemon Awa, Q9, Nakita Agents, KMA, Marcu Esenwein, and Isamu

16. Snotwalker 8000 - 2 wins, 3 losses - +150pts - Braxas, KMA, Kaemon Awa, 1x DeathReavers, Raelin (1st ed.)

17. 2 wins, 3 losses - +20pts - Charos, Deadeye Dan, 1x Sentinels of Jandar, Sonlen, and Isamu

18. Jormi - 2 wins, 3 losses - -25pts - 3x Sentinels, Raelin (1st ed.), KMA, Guilty McCreech, and Isamu

19. 2 wins, 3 losses - -50pts - 1x Marro Hounds, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, 2x Gorillanators, Nakita Agents, Me-Burq-Sa

20. 2 wins, 3 losses - -65pts - Khosumet, 2x Anubian Wolves, Krug, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, and Isamu

21. 2 wins, 3 losses - -195pts - 1x Blastatrons, 1x Gladiatrons, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, KMA, 1x Omicron Snipers, and Isamu

22. Krugkiller - 2 wins, 3 losses - -230pts - Q10, Finn, Raelin (1st ed.), KMA, and 2x Knights of Weston

23. 2 wins, 3 losses - -550pts - Tagawa Samurai, KMA, Brunak, Raelin (1st ed.), Nakita Agents, and Marcu Esenwein

24. 1 win, 4 losses - -585pts - KMA, 2x Shaolin Monks, Charos, Guilty McCreech, Me-Burq-Sa

25. Supergeek - 1 win, 4 losses - -320pts - 3x Gladiatrons, 2x Blastatrons, Nilfheim

26. 1 win, 4 losses - -465pts - Braxas, Q9, 3x Shades of Bleakwoode, 4x Roman Legionnaires

27. 1 win, 4 losses - -730pts - Syvarris, Eldgrim, KMA, 2x Aubrien Archers, Sgt. Drake Alexander (2nd ed.)

28. HeroScapeDiva - 1 win, 4 losses - -1080pts - KMA, Braxas, Raelin (1st ed.), Airborne Elite, 1x Warriors of Ashra

29. 1 win, 4 losses - -1275pts - Q10, Sonlen, Kaemon Awa, Shiori, Izumi Samurai

30. 0 wins, 5 losses - -1875pts - Syvarris, Izumi Samurai, Deathwalker 8000, Taelord, Raelin (1st ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some random statistics from the tournament: Dale "Codeman" Jordahl was voted to have brought the Most Unique/Interesting Armyto the tournament with his all Minions of Utgar force.

Most popular units (by # used) were, in order:

1. Krav Maga Agents - 19 used
2. DeathReavers - 10 squads used
3. Isamu - 9 used
3. Raelin (old version - no one used the new version) - 9 used
4. Stingers - 7 squads used
5. Gladiatrons - 6 squads used
5. Blastatrons - 6 squads used
6. Q9 - 5 used
6. Minions of Utgar - 5 squads used (all by Codeman)
6. Knights of Weston - 5 squads used
6. Me-Burq-Sa - 5 used
7. Cyprien Esenwein - 4 used
7. Sentinels of Jandar - 4 squads used
7. Roman Legionnaires - 4 squads used
7. Q10 - 4 used
7. Marrden Nagrubs - 4 squads used
7. Nakita Agents - 4 squads used
As for the Minions, I like them a lot too, and they seem to do really well on certain small maps, or in certain matchups (like Q9 or Stingers), but poor in others, like Rats or 4th. They're really swingy by nature though, almost like a squad of heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; July 13th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Matchup Calculator has a single squad of Minions killing Q9 52.6% of the time. Can any other squad make that claim?
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

2xLegion scores better for fewer points. Not by much though.

~Aldin, playing with his calculator (07734)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think that on tournament-type maps, the minions should stay a notch below the Knights of Weston. The Knights give you one more figure and full-scale bonding for a whopping 40 (!) points less. For the price of six minions, you can get eight Knights and a viking champion. Throw in their excellent leader selection and that Valiant status, and you have a winner.

As you make the board higher and more rugged, the Minions eventually catch up to the knights and even pass them, but I don't think they're better on a typical BoV map.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion