Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 12th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

My brother in-law called me up around 4pm yesterday and asked if I wanted to play Heroscape. He, my 20 year-old nephew and 13 year-old niece had started building the map Saturday night. So I said sure, because it's been quite awhile since the last time playing classic Scape with them, and went over there at 4:45.

Great map, with 4 random glyph's out, either side of tower and under each structure on the sides. There was a glyph of Brandar on top of the tower and that represented the flag. Nobody could fly onto the tower, but you could fly to the base of it and anywhere else. The goal was to get the "flag" and bring it back to your starting zone.

We rolled d20's to randomly get a general to draw units from. I got Ullar.

Great game and it lasted 'til about 10:30, with my niece winning. The rest of us were killing each other off and she had the most strength at the end. Though, I did win the first game that only took about 1/2 hour, as Theracus carried a Viper to the base and then got onto the glyph of summoning, where I summoned another Viper. I also had the Warlord in there, so their move was 9. I won early in the second round with some good Frenzy action. So we started again, and my brother in-law sent Zelrig over to my area and killed 7 of my guys before I knew it. But the second game was very close to the end.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got to play 7 Wonders, Machi Koro (base game), and Exploding Kittens all for the first time last night.

I really enjoyed the first two. My 10-year old daughter's favorite was Exploding Kittens. I enjoyed the humor, but I don't know it's anything more than a weird, funny type of Uno, which is ok, but I'm having a hard time paying $20 for that. She said it's on her Christmas list. Maybe that will come from Grandma.

Last edited by rudyvalentine; October 16th, 2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Got to play 7 Wonders, Machi Koro (base game), and Exploding Kittens all for the first time last night.

I really enjoyed the first two. My 10-year old daugjter's favorite was Exploding Kittens. I enjoyed the humor, but I don't know it's anything more than a weird, funny type of Uno, which is ok, but I'm having a hard time paying $20 for that. She said it's on her Christmas list. Maybe that will come from Grandma.
Exploding Kittens is a lot of fun...once. It's a great vessel for the Oatmeal's artwork. After the first couple times, the allure wears off. If you frequently have new people you play with, it's a solid choice. Otherwise, you'll quickly tire of it.
Old October 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
My brother in-law called me up around 4pm yesterday and asked if I wanted to play Heroscape. He, my 20 year-old nephew and 13 year-old niece had started building the map Saturday night. So I said sure, because it's been quite awhile since the last time playing classic Scape with them, and went over there at 4:45.

Great map, with 4 random glyph's out, either side of tower and under each structure on the sides. There was a glyph of Brandar on top of the tower and that represented the flag. Nobody could fly onto the tower, but you could fly to the base of it and anywhere else. The goal was to get the "flag" and bring it back to your starting zone.

We rolled d20's to randomly get a general to draw units from. I got Ullar.

Great game and it lasted 'til about 10:30, with my niece winning. The rest of us were killing each other off and she had the most strength at the end. Though, I did win the first game that only took about 1/2 hour, as Theracus carried a Viper to the base and then got onto the glyph of summoning, where I summoned another Viper. I also had the Warlord in there, so their move was 9. I won early in the second round with some good Frenzy action. So we started again, and my brother in-law sent Zelrig over to my area and killed 7 of my guys before I knew it. But the second game was very close to the end.

Sounds like a blast. nice looking map too.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old October 16th, 2015, 02:12 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

My copy of Blood Rage just arrived (I joined the kickstarter) and I'm about to open everything up to get a better look at things. Don't know if I'll get a chance to play the game this weekend or not but I'll try to and report back if I do.

Which reminds me, I never left any feedback on the new Firefly expansion, it's more awesomeness in a box. Although I don't know if I will ever use the new Captain card that came in the new expansion, other then that a bunch of cool new stuff added to the established game.
Old October 16th, 2015, 03:31 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

YK,

Hearty Congratulations! I'm still awaiting both games, and can hardly wait! If I knew where you lived, I could make a remark about the best people living too far away from me.
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Wisconsin, so yup too far away from NY.
Old October 18th, 2015, 03:48 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Wisconsin, so yup too far away from NY.
@chas - no way WI is TOO FAR... it's only about a 20 hour drive IF you had a car... (~~lol~~)

I forgot to report last week that I played two rounds of FF's "Star Wars: X-Wing" and was totally obliterated twice by probably the best player in our local SW:XW League at Nerdvana FLGS in EHT, NJ. All four of my Imperial Tie Interceptor Royal Guards were ONE SHOTTED by either his much upgraded Darth Vader's Advanced Tie Fighter or Soontir Fel's Tie Interceptor. Lesson Learned: 9's shoot before 6's, and whiffing of Defense doesn't help. My first roll produced 4 blanks on 4 dice and was typical of my luck that night.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 18th, 2015, 04:12 PM
C3G Landlord

We played two games of Blood Rage yesterday. First game I was just completely crushed with no chance at all to win, but that was also just a learning the game for the first time situation. We did seem to run into a few really good card combos that seems kind of game breaking in the first game, but I think that was just a bit of a luck of the deal as the first time you play it says to just deal the cards out for the first age and not to 'draft' your hand. In the second game I won a very close one where all 4 of use had our final honor score on the 4th track, all within 15 or so points of each other. Drafting all the cards is certainly the way to go as sometimes it is a really hard choice to make while other times you are just taking the least mediocre card. If your hand was left up to the blind luck of a deal, the game would end up unbalanced. Plus when you pass the cards you have an idea of what cards others have to play, so it is a good game mechanic. Overall the game is pretty fun, with the size and power of your clan growing while the board shrinks, leading to lots of conflict. Several different game mechanics make you want to get into the battle even if you know you will lose and multiple players can join the same battle. Also the 3 Ages and your done format means the game only took us about 2 hours, which is nice for my group as often our games seem to go on too long. Makes it easier to get in more that one game per gaming session, and thus if the first game doesn't go too well you get a second chance to have a good run.
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Tonight I played Above and Below, a kickstarted game I just got.
I had played a solo 2p game of it this past weekend to learn it before teaching it. Another guy in the group also brought his copy, but didn't really read the rules yet. So we put 2 tables together and set up both games, so I could explain the game to the other 7 people. After that, we split the tables apart a little bit, but I was still close enough to the owner of the other copy of the game to keep answering questions their table had, as well as ours. So it was kind of distracting and it showed up in my score, as I finished with 34 points, while the other scores at my table were 45, 44 and 43.

The setting is that each player is starting new villages after their people's village got destroyed by barbarians. We each start with 3 villagers and can use them to take different actions. You can train a new villager that is available on the board, for a cost. You can build a building of various types. You can harvest goods from a building card that came with some resources. You can labor to get a little money, but also the first person to labor gets a cider token that will help a villager recover sooner, because after taking a turn with a villager, they go to the exhausted section of your player board. At the end of the round you will be able to slide over each villager one space over (there is also an exerted section) for each bed on buildings you have (you start with 3 for 3 workers) but say you have 4 villagers and 3 beds, spending a cider allows you to slide one villager over to be ready and you can use the 3 beds to move the other 3 over. There is also an explore action that takes at least 2 villagers to do. You basically have values on the villager tokens that you need to roll for to be able to pass an encounter from the encounter book, based on a number from the explore card you chose. So another player reads the passage in of the encounter and reads you a couple options, each with different difficulty. So you choose one and roll a die for each villager and if it is a certain value or higher you can pass the encounter and get a reward of either money, a resource and/or reputation.

Anyway, you get points based on reputation, number of buildings you have in your village, building bonuses that some may give you, and finally for a track on the bottom of your player mat where you place harvested resources. The further to the right you have resources in, the more they are worth.

Fun light/medium game with many different things you will want to do on your turn.

Old October 19th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not how I pictured you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Not how I pictured you.
That's not me Q, I just added a video review that guy did for extra measure

This is me, on the far right, though I don't have the goatee now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games