Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old February 17th, 2021, 08:45 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 2] Vlad III (Sorin) (Public Feedback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
You are workshopping this on Discord?
Spitballing ideas (and meme'ing), not really workshopping.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Bringing this here because I think the idea has merit- a couple of us on discord had suggested some kind of attack debuff to convey Vlad being a lord, as well as to convey his rather menacing nature. A flat attack debuff obviously has its own baggage, so I'd propose something like subtracting an attack die from the roll of figures who did not start the turn adjacent to Vlad, or even from the roll of figures who have moved this turn.

I think that as is, Reign of Terror doesn't feel very impactful but does manage to have a ton of bookkeeping. I don't think we want that in an introductory set unless it has a great gameplay payoff. Reign modifying initiative at a rate of one point per kill doesn't meet those qualifications imo.

Also, it's possible we discussed this already- but I am not in favor of us keeping Display of Cruelty. If we do, it seems odd that, as written, it helps opposing figures adjacent to Vlad.
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

You should really just move this entire process to Discord so it is all in one place.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Many don't want to use Discord, which is understandable. I don't think there's any issue with small discussion there as long as the larger points get fleshed out here.

As a relatively inexperienced designer, it's nice to post my ideas on Discord first to see if they merit greater discussion - I'd rather be temporarily embarrassed by saying something dumb on Discord... I think stuff here is more "written in stone", so to speak.

Last edited by Alexandros; February 17th, 2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:27 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think it would be cool if the entire process was in one place so when this is all done people will be able to see it how it all developed.
That was my favorite aspect of this.
A designer, experienced or not should never be embarrassed to share their ideas.
Sharing is the whole point of collaborating.
But that is just my opinion.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:31 PM

Lol. Major typo. That was supposed to say inexperienced.

I can see where you're coming from.

The discord is public, and anyone can join it. But I wish there was an easy way to give it a sense of longevity.
Old February 18th, 2021, 11:59 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I think it would be cool if the entire process was in one place so when this is all done people will be able to see it how it all developed.
That was my favorite aspect of this.
I do agree with you that AotV discussion should be centered around the forums; in my eyes, posting notes from a conversation elsewhere should be a rare occurrence and not the norm. That doesn't preclude the possibility of any discussion outside of the forum, if necessary, but everything should be translated over here as soon as possible (outside of memes about Akira and whatnot, of course).

There are a variety of benefits to Discord as a social platform (namely faster communication and better "ongoing conversations" than refreshing forum pages to check for new posts), but it is inherently more ephemeral and lacks the permanent presence of these forums. Frankly, our engagement with new members has increased and Discord is a valuable supplement to keep people in touch and engaged with the project, so long as anything meaningful is moved to here (as @flameslayer93 and @Zetsubo have done). The goal is to not have any gaps in the process here, which is partially why we keep the boards open for everyone the entire time and welcome newer members to join as well, but I'm fine with people socializing on Discord outside of design work.

Quote:
A designer, experienced or not should never be embarrassed to share their ideas.
Sharing is the whole point of collaborating.
Agreed. I throw out plenty of dumb ideas and jokes, as anyone who's seen my draft powers can attest to. Even if something doesn't stick or people don't like the idea, there's no harm in suggesting it, and I'm fairly certain that people don't care to dredge up my bad ideas from within dozens of pages of text.

I hope that no one is embarrassed to post their ideas here, as that's one of the joys of collaboration and getting differing views on things. We specifically want to see everyone's thoughts and ideas, even if we can't all agree, and the project is the better off for it.
Old February 19th, 2021, 01:03 PM

I think maybe the discord conversation is sidetracking us. Where are we at?
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:10 AM

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:18 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarant View Post
I think maybe the discord conversation is sidetracking us. Where are we at?
Right now it sounds like most of us are on board with removing the warlord synergy, which puts us at a bit of a crossroads regarding how to move forward. I think we'd all agree that without bonding, the current version of Display of Cruelty is a bit lackluster.

Moving forward, I think we have two broad options. Either we can try to make Display of Cruelty a bit more generally useful and maintain Vlad's current role as an aggressive frontline cheerleader, or we abandon the cheerleader side of him altogether and retool him into more of a standalone sharky type figure.

Given Vlad's background as a leader, I'm personally more drawn to maintaining some form of cheerleading for him. However, I also don't think that it is necessary to use any of the box's limited markers on this design. That being said, at this point I think my preferred version of a reworked Vlad might look something like this:

Quote:
Species = Human
Unique Hero
Class = Lord
Personality = Merciless
SIZE = medium 5

LIFE = 5
MOVE 5 / BASIC
RANGE 1 / BASIC
ATTACK 4 / BASIC
DEFENSE 4 / BASIC

??? POINTS

DISPLAY OF CRUELTY
Whenever Vlad or a figure with a range of 1 within 4 clear sight spaces attacks, if Vlad has destroyed at least 1 figure this round, the attacking figure adds 1 to their attack.

IMPALEMENT 13
After moving and before attacking, choose a small or medium figure adjacent to Vlad III. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the chosen figure cannot roll defense dice if attacked by Vlad III this turn.
Old February 21st, 2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I think my preferred version of a reworked Vlad might look something like this:

Quote:
Species = Human
Unique Hero
Class = Lord
Personality = Merciless
SIZE = medium 5

LIFE = 5
MOVE 5 / BASIC
RANGE 1 / BASIC
ATTACK 4 / BASIC
DEFENSE 4 / BASIC

??? POINTS

DISPLAY OF CRUELTY
Whenever Vlad or a figure with a range of 1 within 4 clear sight spaces attacks, if Vlad has destroyed at least 1 figure this round, the attacking figure adds 1 to their attack.

IMPALEMENT 13
After moving and before attacking, choose a small or medium figure adjacent to Vlad III. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the chosen figure cannot roll defense dice if attacked by Vlad III this turn.
I think I like these two powers as long as they are together. With four attack it's still very possible that Vlad takes OM#1, tries to pick off a squad figure, and whiffs, making a bunch of your positioning awkward. Having a 40% (?) chance to prevent that figure from rolling defense dice helps a lot.
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:40 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The real question is, what point value does Vlad settle at now that he is a stand alone piece with no available bonding beyond the Utgar flag bearer? That determines a lot in the way of how I feel about him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs