Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:51 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!
Dwarven Forge terrain kickstarter

Apologies if this is inappropriately enthusiastic.

Dwarven Forge Game Tiles on Kickstarter

Ahem. I first learned about Dwarven Forge in somebody's Gencon thread last year. They've been making deluxe miniature terrain for 17 years, mostly for the RPG crowd. Their stuff is absurdly beautiful, and generally considered to be the best in the business. It's all modular, three dimensional pieces that can be placed together to make dungeons, caverns, lava areas, lakes, etc. It's really beautiful... and really expensive. I picked up a few sets for potential future use with my sons, but I could never afford very much, and you'd really need a fair number of sets to really cover the table.

Campaign Video!

But now, NOW is the moment of a real paradigm shift. They're looking to debut a new material. Until now, they've always used cast resin, which has the benefit of cheap molds, but has to be cast by hand (ie, expensive). Their resin is also relatively sturdy and easy to glue when it breaks (this is considered the gold standard of miniature terrain, remember), but it's still fragile. You have to store it in individual styrofoam trays, and your kids definitely can't be rough at all.
Now, though? They want to start a new line of PVC molded terrain. The material is incredibly tough(video of them driving over a piece with a truck, no damage), AND once they get the steel molds done, it's cheaper to produce. For people with limited budgets and small children (like many of us here), this is a complete double whammy of awesome.
Getting the steel molds funded ($10,000 / mold) is the problem, and the reason for the Kickstarter. They started with the goal of funding four molds to be able to make floors, walls, corners, and doors. They funded in 3 hours ($50,000). Since then, they've been adding additional pieces, and the pledge rewards keep improving. Now each set you pledge for (initially 34 pieces, just floors, walls, corners, doors) now contains 61 pieces including diagonal walls and half floors, curved walls and half floors, and pillars. Probably by tomorrow narrow doors will be unlocked as well.

This thing has the potential to take off like the legendary Reaper Kickstarter from last year. Due to the nature of the product (huge print runs lead to dramatic savings per-unit), this is likely the best price we'll ever see on these pieces.
I'm going to drop a chunk of change on this, no doubt. The pieces have square 1" grids on them, so 'scape doesn't fit directly... but my 4 year old and I already have fun (oh so delicately) marching 'scape figures on my existing Dwarven Forge sets. Once the new stuff comes, it's a whole new world. The new PVD pieces can be thrown into a box in the living room, and my 1 1/2 year old can join us. Gonna be a good time.

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dwarven Forge terrain kickstarter

Current stretch goal rewards for 2 sets. If you pledge for 4 sets, you get double what you see. Pledge for 10 sets, you get 5 times what you see, including all the stretch goals.
All stretch goals accrue at 2 or more sets, so it's not really worth it to buy one.

Also available unpainted if that's your thing...

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...

Last edited by Ace Histoli; April 15th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM

Another huge day ongoing.
Cracked $700,000 so now every set gets free narrow door. It fits in a corner or wall piece, rather than needing to be on an open floor piece.

And we're already more than half way to $750,00 and free Demon door.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That's pretty cool! I wish there wasn't 300 other things all trying to get me to buy them... If I actually had a game system for them, I would definitely invest in this.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:04 PM

Another huge day. This thing could be taking off...

Cleared $750,000 and unlocked the very cool Demon Door:

Currently, as long as you pledge for more than one set (each of which contains 34 pieces) you get 29 free bonus pieces with each set. Here's what the 2 set pledge currently looks like (and note that price / set continues to decrease as you pledge for higher levels):

Old April 18th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That's so much free stuff!!! I was at Cincycon, and sets like these were selling for $80, and you didn't even get half of whats here!
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I don't know how I might avoid getting in on this, especially with just learning Super Dungeon Explore. This terrain is perfect for it!

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; April 18th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:38 AM

More progress, cracked $825,000 and continuing to grow.

Unlocked windowed wall tile:

So now each set of 34 tiles now has 30 free bonus pieces. Here's how the 2 set pledge currently looks:

Of course at higher pledge levels the price per piece continues to drop. It's always going to be an expensive toy, but at least it's less expensive than their resin products. Here's what the 5 set pledge looks like at present:

Also, Dwarven Forge has introduced a web tool for mapmaking and playing around. Their mapmaker gives you a sense of what you can build with a given pledge level. Map Maker

Hop on board the train, people...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM

Yowza... maybe entering the explosive growth phase of things. This is a more niche product than Reaper's minis, so it's hard to believe we'll hit multiple millions of dollars, but exciting to think about.

Anyway, we've now blown through $900,000. Now every set gets two free barrels that can be placed as scenery, destructible objects, or whatever.

And the minimum pledge to get the free stretch goals (2 sets) now looks like this:

Not overwhelming, I know. 2 measly little barrels, even if they are practically indestructible and perfect for addition to 'scape scenarios, right? It also unlocked another add-on pack, though, and a very cool one.

Probably worth explaining add-ons at this point. This Kickstarter has 3 add-ons at present, and another will be unlocked at $1,000,000, and who knows if more will be created later on. Anybody who pledges at 2 sets or more can buy add-ons. Each add-on is $60 prepainted, or $95 for two of them prepainted. You can mix and match, so you don't have to buy two of the same. I'm secretly hoping they'll announce more discounts if you buy more than two at a time. Also available unpainted ($45 and $70 respectively, I think, but I'm not sure).

This floor pack was the one just unlocked. The big floor tiles make it easier to build big rooms, but more importantly can be stacked on top of walls and/or pillars to create multi-floor structures. Not as useful as 'scape terrain, of course, but very pretty.

The curved and diagonal corners are already unlocked bonuses -- you get two of each, plus their matching half-floors, with each set. If you want more, though, the add-ons have got you covered.

Tune in soon for $1,000,000 update, hopefully. Maybe Wed/Thurs the way things are going...

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:19 PM

Still chugging along merrily. Just cleared $1,000,000. Campaign ends Tuesday, folks.

Latest freebie with each set: a treasure pile!

Also unlocks the very coool dungeon dressing add on set:

Old April 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

The sad thing is that Stephon told me he'd never, ever do a hex based board. I tried to convince him otherwise once but with no luck. Oh well, the square loving gamers can have their eye candy maps...
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Yes, the squares are frustrating. It would never really mesh with official 'scape terrain anyway, though, what with differing heights and no interlocking pieces, etc etc.
At least that's what I tell myself.

Anyway, we may have officially entered the end-stage Kickstarter insanity, with $89,000 pledged yesterday. Or else people were just really excited about the dungeon dressing set:

Passed $1,100,000 and unlocked free small stairs with every set (as long as you pledge for more than one set):

This officially doubles the number of pieces you get with each set (again, as long as you pledge for more than one). Each set was originally designed for 34 pieces, and now you get 34 bonus pieces free:

They're running out of space in the box, so the freebie pieces are becoming smaller/lighter, but still lots of fun. The next few are designed to work together (pedestal and circular stairs). Pretty beautiful stuff:

Campaign ends Tuesday night, ladies and gents...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures