Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!
Do Heroscape-resistant children exist?

As our 429 square foot apartment slowly but surely fills up with plastic figures and terrain, and our household expenditures continue to demonstrate ever-increasing contributions to WOTC’s bottom line, my wife has been increasingly questioning my sanity. My answer (after reminding her of the pure glee on my face when I’m playing with my little plastic figures) is usually to confidently state that this game will provide countless hours of good clean family fun and father-son bonding with my little Grimnak (almost 9 months old). And I really am pretty confident -- having been a 10 year old boy myself once, I’m pretty sure that if you had stuck a syringe in my head and sucked out concentrated Essence of That Which I Find Exciting and Fun, it woulda looked and tasted a lot like our “battle of all time”. How’s that for a convoluted and sorta disgusting analogy?

Ahem. But what if I’m wrong? I’ve read a lot of reassuring accounts of parents playing with their kids here, but has anybody seen the opposite? Do Heroscape-immune children exist? I find it hard to believe, but in a world where Steve Guttenberg was considered a star at one point, I guess anything is possible. Do I need to prepare myself for the horrifying possibility that my son will not be captivated by the world of Valhalla?

Please reassure me and give me further justification for more purchases!

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Do Heroscape-resistant children exist?

I think it's mostly that kids like doing something fun with adults from time to time, no matter how lame they might say you are at other times.

I've taught (or had the opportunity to teach) a bunch of children a lot of different games, and Heroscape is among them. Boys tend to like it more than girls, although there have been some girls who at the very least like to play around with the figures and terrain.

A boy growing up in your apartment with tons of this stuff around him from birth will likely have a very hard time not liking it, I would think. Young kids (including my niece) are very interested in the visual appeal of the figures. But again, maybe she was interested in it to begin with because it's what her older brother was doing with her uncle when they'd come to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It depends on his personality, but ultimately it resides with both of your parenting styles.

Personally, I'm a huge believer in family game nights - rotating them so that each family gets to play whatever game they want provided that it is A) a board or card game and B) every single family member is involved.

Get him playing games in a family setting right from the start and he will most likely love it starting around 5 years old. Be prepared to do alot of coaching and handicapping the game however (handicapping the game in points - not in playing bad to let them win).

I've long since noticed something - I cannot prove it, but it's been my experience - families that game (any game) have kids who like to game.

Just 2 points of advice...

1) Remember not to force the game on him.

2) Rember to expose him to a wide variety of games.

He might not love Heroscape - but he most likely will love gaming with a wide foundation.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been justifying my purchases to my then-fiancee-now-wife since I started playing HeroScape as both an investment (cause when HS blows up I'm going to sell my stuff rather than buying more, right) and as a great way to spend time with our future kids. She's pretty smart, so she doesn't buy the "investment" line, but I've got her on the kids hook. She's even willing to accept that I need a whole room for the game stuff I'm going to be doing with those kids.
I can't imagine my kids not wanting to play with me at this point, but who knows?

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Your best bet to make sure he will play with you is to "NOT LET HIM PLAY".

Play games while he is there but keep telling him not to touch. This will make him want to touch it more.

When he is a little bit bigger let him roll the dice for you. This way he is getting involved. When it's time to move your pieces show him the number on the card and then count it with him as you move. If you count it out in your head where you want the piece to go point to the ending space and have him move the figure for you to the spot.

Slowly you will getting him more excited about the possibility of playing on his own but at the same time you are teaching him how to play.
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

The only children I get to play Heroscape with are my three cousins, two boys (ages 8 and 10) and a girl (age 7). I'd like to tell you that no kid is Heroscape immune, but the older boy seemed to get tired of it after the first few months of playing, while the younger boy and the girl ask me to play before even giving me a "Hello."

As jschild said, it all depends on the kid's personality, which develops at a younger age than one would think.
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would think any male children under the age of 12 would have zero resitance to Hero Scape. I have a 17 year old, who has played it when he was younger but has lost interest as he gets interested in other things (AKA Girls and Cars). My 15 year old and some of his friends are still into it, though they do not play as often. My 10 year old girl likes playing from time to time and makes requests to join in games that already started (which is somewhat annoying because she just want to jump in and control one or two of the prettier units).

However, my four year old often begs me to play it with him. He started doing so over a year ago. We do it two different ways with him, the first version is the 'talking version' where its more like role playing with figures moving across the maps and have them fights stuff.
Lately he is liking the more advanced 'dice and cards' version where we actually use the rules. He now can read all the stats and count the numbers of hexes and stuff. So its a great way to teach him basic numbers and math (at least thats what I tell the wife).
My Two yearold LOVES playing with the little figures. With lots of 'Chop Chops' and 'Pow Pows' as he has the little figures fight each other. Though I have cut him off from using them as toys because he has gotten a little too rough with them and he often ends up carrying them all over the house so they can fight on beds, bookshelves etc. I still have an airborne elite MIA because of him.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion